The hope for a stronger defense in 2013-14.

Is it crazy to think that the defense will give up some points early against UCLA...and then completely bitch slap them? More like....no TD's in the 2nd half? I just have this weird feeling...

I also think this defense will definitely have growing pains early on....but the strength of the D (linebackers and secondary) will really start to shine later in the season....which will help carry NEB to the CCG.

I probably needed to clarify some. I'm not saying this years defense will be at the level of the offense. I do think the steps will be taken this year to get us to that point in a year or two. Growing pains this year for sure.....especially early and against UCLA in particular.

This is pretty much every year on at least 1 side of the ball. Next year we have to break in a new qb unless we blow some teams out and the backups get some reps in; it will be a long season next season as well.

More worried about line than qb. Lotta guys to replace. If Lewis can plead down to a misdemeanor and our '13 juco guys are as advertised we should be in good shape though. QB will be inexperienced but he'll also be surrounded with a sick group of backs and receivers that can take the pressure off and make him look good. Plus if it's Armstrong he'll be in his third Fall in the system and should have it down.

If you are looking for drastic improvement on the defensive side of the ball, you may be real disappointed. I think we will see an improved defense, but Its not going to all of a sudden start giving up 60 yds rushing and 10 pts a game. Something less dramatic like cutting 50 yds of rushing off the stats and a touchdown of the points per game will do wonders for this team.

I am hopeful and also quite certain that our D will be much improved over the previous two seasons. If it is not vastly improved, I will become a Bo naysayer this coming season and I do not want to go there because, personally, I like Bo. But it is time to put the product on the field.

And call me elitist or delusional or whatever but I am absolutely disgusted with all the posts already anticipating failure against UCLA. M'erf'ing UCLA, at home in Lincoln no less. That's BS. The day I have to whine about our chances against UCLA is the day I'll find another team or quit college football for good. You don't have to be an unrealistic sunshine pumper to think we should win that game so excuse me but some of you need to have a bit more hope and faith.

I don't really understand the UCLA gloom and doom either. I think our D will actually match up better this year. All UCLA did last year was run people around in the backfield to get our slow LB's and Safeties out of position and it worked very well. While I'm sure there will be times where that will happen again this year, the LB's this year should be much faster which should help a ton. This year's defensive weakness is going to be up the middle and UCLA isn't the kind of team that is just going to pound it. Keep in mind too that UCLA basically showed their cards in the game last year so the coaches should have a much better game plan going into this year's game.

If you are looking for drastic improvement on the defensive side of the ball, you may be real disappointed. I think we will see an improved defense, but Its not going to all of a sudden start giving up 60 yds rushing and 10 pts a game. Something less dramatic like cutting 50 yds of rushing off the stats and a touchdown of the points per game will do wonders for this team.

I think realistically we can expect the defense to be very similar in scoring and statistically to last year. Ok for the most part, only minus the 3-4 "disaster" games. That's where the improvement is going to be.

I am not looking for "drastic" improvement, well not drastic in that sense. The "drastic" I am looking for is the kind that doesn't totally melt down or fails to make reasonable adjustments. Minus the 3-4 disaster games will be plenty fine with me. And other than that, just some slight improvements in yardage and points allowed and hopefully a large increase in forced turnovers, recoveries, and int's. Heck, I'd be happy to see better tackling fundamentals. With our schedule, I don't believe it will take drastic strides on the D side to go into the CCG undefeated but it will take more than a few solid efforts.

Johnathan Franklin tore our defense to shreds at UCLA last year. He is no longer a threat, and I doubt they have another one ready to go. He was an absolute beast in that game and until he was injured (ankle, I think) later in the season. Of course, we missed plenty of tackles and had foolish mistakes, but Franklin had a lot to do with some of the misses.

At home, I think we win against UCLA, but I think it's a tight, exciting game.

I also think that we will see and learn a lot about our defense that day. If they play well, I think we have a great season. BCS perhaps. If not, I think it will be another roller coaster.

Johnathan Franklin tore our defense to shreds at UCLA last year. He is no longer a threat, and I doubt they have another one ready to go. He was an absolute beast in that game and until he was injured (ankle, I think) later in the season. Of course, we missed plenty of tackles and had foolish mistakes, but Franklin had a lot to do with some of the misses.

At home, I think we win against UCLA, but I think it's a tight, exciting game.

I also think that we will see and learn a lot about our defense that day. If they play well, I think we have a great season. BCS perhaps. If not, I think it will be another roller coaster.

Edit: Just looked up the stats. Franklin did kill us on the ground. 217 yards on 26 carries. He murdered us. I will say though, the HB dump pass they ran, and the 5 yard crossing routes had our LB'ers confused all game long. It was a huge lack of adjustment and understanding by the defense. The offense had a decent game though. I think this year's game will be a tough one to pull off, even without Franklin.

Another edit: Their QB was 21/33 for 305 yards! Average of 9.2 yards per pass with 4 TD's through the air! Holy Moly, Franklin wasn't even the one that burned us the most that day and he had a monsterous day! Holy cow, I'm glad I can hardly remember that one.

As strong as an offensive day I thought we had in that game here's a small paragraph from the ESPN page on that game last year.......

The Huskers didn't convert a third down until the first play of the fourth quarter, but Maher barely missed a go-ahead, 37-yard field goal with 12:12 to play.

Turns out, it's true, Nebraska was 1-11 on third down that game and apparently the only one we got wasn't until the fourth quarter!? Ouch, that's almost unheard of.

That dump pass was set up by some big time pick plays as well. I'm glad my Packers got Franklin and Lacey in the draft.

You may very well be right about those picks. I would go back and look at that, but I don't think I could bare to watch.

Pack got Lacey and Franklin!? DAMN. I really was kind of hoping Denver would give Lacey a look, but for some reason, Denver really never showed a ton of interest in him. I'm glad we got Ball. Still, I think Lacey and Franklin is a great get for the Fudge Packers, even though I'm not a fan.

Defense is predicated on talent. Although athleticism/speed/talent are of the utmost importance, developing those attributes to achieve the objective is critical. In order to do that, a team has to have a support system similar to what Osborne had in the 1990's. His system, (through his assistant coaches), developed the players from the weight room to the scout squad so that when they reached a certain level of competitiveness, they were able to be on the field. Until Pelini develops a similar system, our defense will be sadly lacking, year to year.

Personally I think our defense will be better than last year. I think this because we will have some athletes at LB and speed can make up for being out of position. Our corners will be better. Safeties i think will be better and a lot more athletic. The big question is Dline obviously. If our offense can score like I know it can the other team will play into our strength (our passing D)

Defense is predicated on talent. Although athleticism/speed/talent are of the utmost importance, developing those attributes to achieve the objective is critical. In order to do that, a team has to have a support system similar to what Osborne had in the 1990's. His system, (through his assistant coaches), developed the players from the weight room to the scout squad so that when they reached a certain level of competitiveness, they were able to be on the field. Until Pelini develops a similar system, our defense will be sadly lacking, year to year.

Yes. Youre right. That system. The one 20+ years in the making. :rolleyes:

My thinking is that by the middle of the year this year defense will be better than last years by a considerable amount. Of the major losses we had, we drop OSU off the schedule though we could see them in the CCG more than likely. Whisky also drops off the schedule. UCLA we play at home. Doubtful but not impossible we could play Ga again. That means only two of the teams that beat us last year are we likely to see again. And we add Illinois and Purdue, a couple of teams that hardly overwhelm. To me that says our record and stats should be improved znd we'll see how far it takes us.