New field turf for 2013

Put me on the natural grass side. I just love the smell and look so much more. However, I realize that is never gonna happen at NU. I will say though, the Field Turf makes it so much more tolerable, at least it looks more like the real thing. I REALLY hated that old astro turf stuff. It was so ugly and why they couldn't ever get it in a more natural turf color is beyond me.

Moving forward, I wish Field Turf looked a little more like the real thing, it's almost too perfect looking as it is.

Maybe what they need to do is make the center of the field have a little more of a brown tint so it looks like worn out grass that shows dirt.

The maintenance costs alone will be enough to make field turf pretty exclusive before long. No water needed. That's a huge thing. Grass may be pretty, but the costs to maintain it have to be ridiculous. I know what it costs between water and fertilizer and time to keep my measley 10,000 sq foot lawn nice. As time goes by and things like water resources and fertilizers become more and more stringent, the beauty of natural grass sports fields are going to become less and less of a priority.

I think fertilizer is cheap. My calculation per year: 57,600 sq ft (football field dimensions) x 8 applications (twice the applications according to Scott's company) divided by 5000 sq ft (one Scott's Southern Turf + Halt + Weed Killer bag) x $12 (wholesale price or else Lowe's off-season sale) = $1105.92. Right? (probably wrong!)

And thousands of people including myself gladly volunteered groundskeeper work free of charge like mowing the grass, fertilizer drop spreaders, chalk stripes, etc. a.l.a. Hank Hill crew :smokin . How much does it cost for FieldTurf? Let me think now (grab my calculator)....... $380,000 divided by 7 years = $54,285 per year.

Water cost? I have no idea. Perhaps Liquid gold? I know, just use Hawk's Field surface from Kentucky bluegrass to fakey turf. Save money!

The maintenance costs alone will be enough to make field turf pretty exclusive before long. No water needed. That's a huge thing. Grass may be pretty, but the costs to maintain it have to be ridiculous. I know what it costs between water and fertilizer and time to keep my measley 10,000 sq foot lawn nice. As time goes by and things like water resources and fertilizers become more and more stringent, the beauty of natural grass sports fields are going to become less and less of a priority.

I think fertilizer is cheap. My calculation per year: 57,600 sq ft (football field dimensions) x 8 applications (twice the applications according to Scott's company) divided by 5000 sq ft (one Scott's Southern Turf + Halt + Weed Killer bag) x $12 (wholesale price or else Lowe's off-season sale) = $1105.92. Right? (probably wrong!)

And thousands of people including myself gladly volunteered groundskeeper work free of charge like mowing the grass, fertilizer drop spreaders, chalk stripes, etc. a.l.a. Hank Hill crew :smokin . How much does it cost for FieldTurf? Let me think now (grab my calculator)....... $380,000 divided by 7 years = $54,285 per year.

Water cost? I have no idea. Perhaps Liquid gold? I know, just use Hawk's Field surface from Kentucky bluegrass to fakey turf. Save money!

I would guess your biggest cost on a grass field would be the labor to keep it mowed and painted. No idea what that would be - probably not $54k but I would guess all the costs would be about a wash or possibly field turf slightly cheaper.

Exactly. Labor is a big one. If you want a group of workers that's gonna do it right, you gotta figure a salary of 35-50k per year, per man. Times whatever size of crew you need. Maintenance on a sprinkler system. I run the warehouse of a plbg supply house. Doesnt matter what you do, there are constant breakdowns in sprinkler systems. Trust me, if you want the grass to look as nice as us spoiled brats would demand it looks, youre gonna have well over that 54K$ mark a year into it.

I'm just glad the :bigredn: in the middle of the field isn't going to be maroon anymore.

But I didn't think they were going to make any changes to the design?

I don't think they are. I was referring to the faded color, which makes it look maroon. Although, I don't see why they couldn't have just painted it the last few years.

FieldTurf water IS required

tends to retain heat from the sun and can be much hotter than natural grass with prolonged exposure to the sun. This can be reduced by the application of water prior to use of the playing field
(wiki source)

Thus I assumed irrigation system in T.O. field was already installed.

Another point:

A recent survey of 1,511 active NFL players by the NFL players association found that 73% of the players preferred playing on a natural grass system, while only 18% preferred artificial turf. Nine-percent of the players had no preference

The only advantage, Owens field surface is much better than T.O. field. IMO.

I know, "STOP TRYING TO MAKE NATURAL GRASS HAPPEN....... IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN" (knapplc).

tends to retain heat from the sun and can be much hotter than natural grass with prolonged exposure to the sun. This can be reduced by the application of water prior to use of the playing field
(wiki source)

If they do apply water before a game it's probably with a Gator and a spray system , there are no sprinklers on the turf.

I'm just glad the :bigredn: in the middle of the field isn't going to be maroon anymore.

I don't think they are. I was referring to the faded color, which makes it look maroon. Although, I don't see why they couldn't have just painted it the last few years.

I'm pretty sure the 'N' and the endzone wordmarks were stitched onto the turf, not painted on. Not sure a simple repaint could have solved the issue.

I'm pretty sure the 'N' and the endzone wordmarks were stitched onto the turf, not painted on. Not sure a simple repaint could have solved the issue.

That's what I thought too with field turf that lines and letters, logos and such were actually colored fabric woven into the the surface and not painted.

Another point:

The only advantage, Owens field surface is much better than T.O. field. IMO.

I know, "STOP TRYING TO MAKE NATURAL GRASS HAPPEN....... IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN" (knapplc).

That's fine. I would like to research somehow and find out what OU spends on maintenance for a year to keep that pretty grass all happy and such. Even if the costs are close to equal (which I doubt they are), the concept of saving water and keeping more fertilizer out of the ground is a benefit.

As far as player preferences are concerned, that isnt really the point of this discussion. Me? I loved playing on the field turf surface. Must more so than grass anyway.

I cant find anything online about maintenance budget numbers but tommorrow at work when I see our Parks and Rec superintendant, I'll ask him how much money is put towards yearly maintenance for Hastings's Duncan Field just to get an idea. This field houses Hastings College baseball, Legion baseball, and all home football game for Jr High, Fr, JV and Varsity St. Cecilia football.

Another perk with field turf is that if there is a big rain storm and there is a game played on the wet field is that it doesn't ruin the field. With natural grass a game on a really wet field will cause the field to look like crap for along time, unless there is new sod put down, which is another good sized cost

True. Very true.

See "Seattle vs Kansas City, 1998 @ Arrowhead".