expansion news

This whole Maryland to the Big Ten settlement should have been done ages ago.

Why its not done? the ACC knows once Maryland leaves that could open the floodgates. This whole GoR is not what they say it is or they would have finished this business.

Maryland isn't fighting over a GOR, per se--they're fighting over a 150% increase (20M to 50M, IIRC) in exit fees almost overnight as soon as the ACC found out Maryland (and others) were looking to skip town.

Your fight over the GOR is going to happen if anyone tries to leave now, going forward--that's why Texass keeps turning up like a bad penny in these discussions, because the thought is that GORs are something that can be fought and won against, but at considerable expense and time. Texass has the fiscal resources and the manpower to cover both.

And we've known about the B1G looking at Kansas--the scuttlebutt is that Kansas is the Big XII team that told the B1G 'no' before. Granted, that 'no' shouldn't be interpreted as Kansas being happy with the Big XII status quo (they weren't at last check), but I think they wanted a dance partner that wasn't Nebraska to go with.

OU can not be untethered from OSU.

Texas has what? 10 year contract with LHN/ESPN that they can not/will not dump. No way B1G lets them in with that thing.

You're correct about OU/OSU...but it's driven by the state legislature, that T. Boones Farms Pickens has bought and paid for, from most accounts. I suppose if Oklahoma wants to sever ties with their illegitimate brother, and they were willing to get dirty...

...as for Bevo TV, there's been plenty of discussion about that angle before here...in short:

Bevo TV sucks, ESPN knows it, the 'Whorns know it, and the win/win out of conference realignment would be that ESPN gets to re-purpose the network (e.g. a BTN-West owned by ESPN, while Fox continues to own the current BTN, which then becomes BTN-East) , the 'whorns still get their dirty money (any format change or network cancellation by ESPN gives the 'whorns all their money due from the contract), and the B1G gets to 16 with their sixth national, and four of the top five programs of all time, all in one location.

And re-purposing Bevo TV isn't out of the realm of possibility, as it was being actively discussed as something that would happen if Texass would have joined the then-Pac-10.

SO, here's my question...would y'all WANT OU or Texas in the B1G?

Money, recruits, more horses in the stable

Bigger and better games. I want 16 teams, no protected rivalries, 10 conference games, east/west, no parity scheduling

I think OU even seen as a "weak school" is a good enough school to benefit from University Agglomeration.

I would want OU from a rivalry perspective. But I would take Texas from a recruiting standpoint.

My biggest issue with Texas was their need to control how things went. Delany would not let that happen

unless he lets his hubris get in the way.

I think there are enough smart people in Chicagoland not named Delany that can control the bronco(or Longhorn in this case)

Maybe Shaggy TV isn't must see tv, but I think UT is all in with it. They've been clear that that the network travels with them wherever they go and I can't see them suddenly giving it up to the BTN. And on the Maryland lawsuit, I suspect there are lawyers billing 1,000 dollars per hour, so I doubt they are in a hurry to settle before jurisdiction is established.

Any change with Cow TV won't come until the new AD is in the job and has the scope of the land, in terms of big donors and a feel for the rest of admin and coaches. Right now, the TV channel is still seen as a huge coup for branding. This despite the fact that no one can see it, aside from a few thousand homes that are hardcore fans to begin with.

The money is nice, too, but if the money can be increased by dumping the channel and letting ESPN rebrand it, along with a move to a better conference, I could see it happening. But not until a new AD, at least, and probably a new FB coach. By then, the winds of change will be much easier. Also, the GOR in the Big 12 may well be overturned on constitutional grounds, state institutions pledging state money to an exterior organization. A sticky fight, but Texas has the power in the conference. If they can arrange a soft landing for enough schools (and if anyone can, it's Texas), that legal fight might not even come up.

This will all be interesting to watch. I see Texas as the chick we all want to spend a night or three with, because she is the hottest girl on the planet, while at the same time understanding she is utterly crazy, stalkerish, and won't stop until she either gets what she wants or burns the entire landscape into oblivion. Hopefully the B1G can handle Texas better, but past history does not bode well.

I would think Delany, if anyone, can do it. But I have serious doubts.