Choice--AKA Psych "Stuff" Part 1

Choices--Pt 1  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've always wanted to do this, but have never really thought it would catch on, but it looks like you Huskerboard-ers are pretty much up for anything, so here it goes. Over the next several days/weeks/months, I'm going to post in this sub-forum a number of questions, most of them involving choice. Some of them will be answered via a poll; others will be answered by just typing in a response as a reply.

Here's the second scenario, and there is a poll attached:

You are a physician working in an African village, and 1,000 people have come down with a life-threatening disease. Two possible treatments exist. If you choose treatment A, exactly 750 people will die. If you choose treatment B, there is a 1/4 chance that nobody will die, and a 3/4 chance that everyone will die. Which treatment do you choose?

Please answer in the poll above.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, this poll will close in 5 days and will be replaced by a new poll.

Had to go with B. I figured everyone deserved a chance and if it didn't work out, your only 250 worse off than the guaranteed 750 loser route of choice A. Actually it isn't a very tough choice IMO. Now if it risks the total loss of a species or ethnic group, then you might have to consider saving a guaranteed 250.