How much it will cost you to raise a kid . . .

Our local station just reported that it will cost you 241K to raise your kid until he/she turns 18.

Contraceptives don't sound half bad, eh?

I've seen those numbers before and it's pretty crazy. Likely over-inflated because I think they usually allocate rent/mortgage payment to the kids that you probably would have spent anyway and other similar things but its still pretty expensive.

I'm not surprised by that figure. Obviously there is going to be a wide range though. There are lots of people who have multiple kids and simply don't have that kind of money. So, obviously they have found ways to raise kids cheaper.

That said....with three kids, no wonder I don't have anywhere close to what the "experts" claim I should have in my retirement account at this age.

Not much is more irritating than people who think they have the capabilities to support a child so they go off and have one. If you can't afford to provide, don't have a kid. I feel the same about those who are 22 and go get married.

+1000