My son wants to play in 2 football leagues simutaneously. Thoughts?

For the past 4 years, he's been playing for a well organized Youth Football league. The league has now changed in to a high school feeder team to the particular high school that he will be attending. Practice started a few weeks ago and he's doing well. He's in 7th grade now and is eligible to play for his school. Practices and games will not conflict but I'm concerned about the physical challenges it will bring. I'm pretty sure that he could handle it. But this does increase injury risks. Or even burnout. I really want to say "NO". But should I really deny him the chance to play in front of his friends at school? Should he be allowed somewhat to make this decision? After a long talk about possible risks perhaps? There are other teammates of his that ARE going to play for the school as well, so it makes it even harder.

For the past 4 years, he's been playing for a well organized Youth Football league. The league has now changed in to a high school feeder team to the particular high school that he will be attending. Practice started a few weeks ago and he's doing well. He's in 7th grade now and is eligible to play for his school. Practices and games will not conflict but I'm concerned about the physical challenges it will bring. I'm pretty sure that he could handle it. But this does increase injury risks. Or even burnout. I really want to say "NO". But should I really deny him the chance to play in front of his friends at school? Should he be allowed somewhat to make this decision? After a long talk about possible risks perhaps? There are other teammates of his that ARE going to play for the school as well, so it makes it even harder.

I think this is a very real possibility. If he has enough extra time for s second league, he can commit much of that time to his in-season strength and conditioning.

Most youth coaches won't let kids on two teams. It SUCKS as a coach to have a kid get dinged up playing form another team and now letting down his second team.

There is a good reason why football games are a week apart, it's a beat down.

Also, he should be playing for his school team since he is now eligible. Just my thoughts.

IMO he should pick one and fully commit to that team. I'm having trouble comprehending how 1 team is a feeder program to his high school while his 7th grade team apparently is not. Not knowing all the details, I would encourage him to go with his seventh grade school team. He may very well want to do both but, as a parent and considering his age, I would only allow one. Burnout is a very real possibility.

Dude, it's 7th grade football. Either decision you make isn't that big of a deal. I love youth sports, but the way they are overblown in today's world is crazy!!!

I have a novel idea, have him play for one team, and spend the time he would have spent on the other team focusing on his school work or stuff around the house or just hanging out with his friends.

• Fire 1

Id let him do both, id assume his school team at least doesn't have a ton of games. we had 4 games when I was in the 7th grade..

My initial reaction was 2 teams is too many, but this is a good point. We only had 4 games too. I would have absolutely loved playing extra games if I had the opportunity.

I thought I had skimmed some research a couple years ago about overuse injuries relating to younger kids participating in too many sporting activities without rest, but I can't find it. I'll keep looking. If I recall, it suggested limiting numbers of games and practices in order to avoid long-term injuries and complications on growing bodies. But I could be talking out of my ass since I can't find the actual information.

I would think the kids would have enough energy to participate, but the effects down the road would be worse. If it were my kid, I'd probably limit him to one league. But then again, I'm sure this isn't an issue my son will have to face as he gets older considering his weak and scrawny genetics anyway.

I thought I had skimmed some research a couple years ago about overuse injuries relating to younger kids participating in too many sporting activities without rest, but I can't find it. I'll keep looking. If I recall, it suggested limiting numbers of games and practices in order to avoid long-term injuries and complications on growing bodies. But I could be talking out of my ass since I can't find the actual information.

I would think the kids would have enough energy to participate, but the effects down the road would be worse. If it were my kid, I'd probably limit him to one league. But then again, I'm sure this isn't an issue my son will have to face as he gets older considering his weak and scrawny genetics anyway.

Nevermind, I found what I had read before, but it was just a debate; no actual research data on injuries, and it was about scheduling too many ultimate frisbee games in youth tournaments. Not exactly the same situation. The logic of the arguments were about overuse injuries and liability, and how other sports and state athletics associations limit the numbers of games and practices for youth sports.

Here is some research on concussions that I think is pretty interesting.

http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/research/2012/120202NaumanFootball.html

I have also seen research on brain activity of kids that are involved in football. Before the season starts, the brain shows a lot of neurological activity. By the time the season ends, the brain activity is drastically reduced for these players. I am not saying that your kid is going to get a concussion or one season of football is going to cause brain damage, but it is some interesting stuff to think about.