Debate: What advantages does the Nebraska job have over the Oklahoma job

Another OU advantage: Natural grass system vs. fake grass.........much cooler, refreshing odor, more cushioning, etc.

A recent survey of 1,511 active NFL players by the NFL players association found that 73% of the players preferred playing on a natural grass system, while only 18% preferred artificial turf. Nine-percent of the players had no preference - source: Arkansas U Turfgrass Science

I'm an LSU fan, but I have always respected the Huskers. I am having a friendly debate with a friend who debates that Nebraska has exactly ZERO advantages over Oklahoma as far as recruiting goes.

I argue that the facilities are better at NU, but I am having trouble coming up with any other advantages. I thought what better place than Husker board to get some thoughts.

One advantage is that we don't have "oilies"—the oil money, big ego boosters that tend to muck everything up. Sure, we have boosters. Some of whom donate large sums of money. But they are nothing like Oklahoma's oilies. Barry Switzer talked about them in Bootlegger's Boy. I got the impression they made Barry's job a lot more difficult.

A college town is one that operates almost exclusively during the school year. That is not Lincoln. Lincoln is the capitol of the state with a population somewhere around 200,000-250,000. Just because we have a rampant fan-base that come in droves from every corner of the land 7 or 8 times a year doesn't make it a college town.

But the downtown atmosphere really dwindles from late May to early August. Yes Lincoln is more than a college town, but it's still a town dependent on it's college so it's still a college town imo.

Real College towns:

Like College Station Texas- are DEAD when students arent around.

They cant exist without the school

Everything is centered on the school

Businesses actually close when the students are gone

TOTALLY different than Lincoln, no comparison

Lincoln is not a college town, it is a town with a College

As far as coaching destinations go, the two programs are almost a complete wash in every area except recruiting. I would argue that Nebraska has a few small advantages (slightly nicer facilities, Lincoln is a nicer place to live than Norman, Big Ten should be easier to win in), but OU's location makes it flat out easy for them to pull in a top 15 class every single year, and from a coach's persepective, that's huge, and that makes OU a better job than Nebraska. Probably not so much better that they could steal our head coach, but if we were fighting over the same candidate, I wouldn't like our odds.

For weather wise, Oklahoma has maybe a month of very cold weather, the rest is childs play.

Ok now has the Thunder Basketball, NU nothing. Downtown and things to do is much better then Lincoln. Dallas is only 3 hours away if your really bored. Downtown is much better then Lincoln, although Omaha is way better then OKC (but students wouldn't know that).

The fans here in Norman, as far as support, are way down the ladder compared to NU. In 2009 a friend's fiance was going to OU, they lost 2 games and she was getting emails from the University begging students to go to the game so they can get it somewhat filled. If they lose 2 games, the fans think their season is over and gives up on them until the last game to see if they are in the conference championship and/or what bowl they will be in.

I like the Nebraska Fan base better. While there are exceptions, it is hard to beat the average Nebraska fan for class and passion. I also like your stadium better, but that may be more personal taste.

I am not sure the BIG is as much of an advantage, it just keeps you far away from Texas recruiting grounds and gives you more cold places to play.

I like the Nebraska Fan base better. While there are exceptions, it is hard to beat the average Nebraska fan for class and passion. I also like your stadium better, but that may be more personal taste.

I am not sure the BIG is as much of an advantage, it just keeps you far away from Texas recruiting grounds and gives you more cold places to play.

Since we announced we were going to the BIG we have smashed you guys in recruiting Texas.

BTN > Longhorn Network

Tunnel Walk > Sooner Schooner

B1G Title Game > Round Robin Winner

Sellout Streak

Facilities

Lincoln > Norman

Better Alternate Uniforms

We play Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State. (Better nationally perceived competition....maybe not recently)

Defense matters in our conference

AND.......

D'Leons. Nuff said.