Wyoming @ Nebraska - GTS (from WyoNation)

knapplc

I've been a member over at WyoNation (Cowboy football board) since our game in 2011 and I've gone back there these last few weeks to see what's up with the Cowboys. They're pretty high on their team, and they don't think it's going to be a huge blowout. Some excerpts from their prediction thread:

icon_post_target_unread.gifby BeaverPoke » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:24 pm

31-28 wyo

B-Smith goes off and people start taking notice.

icon_post_target_unread.gifby aranderson » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:27 am

38-30 Nebraska. I really hope we win but this being my no blinders guess. I don't wanna be a complete and utter homer with my score.

icon_post_target_unread.gifby one-smooth-poke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:17 am

It is the first game of the season. I think the Bug Eaters are still hurting over the Wisconsin game. I have some neighbors who are big NU fans....they are all talking sh#t...all I have to do is say, "this is gonna be very similar to Wisconsin." They get ANGRY... We are having a "joint" bbq on game day. Wyo fans at my house, NU fans at theirs. LOL..it will be fun.

Like most on here, I bleed brown and gold. If Smith runs the the offense, the receivers catch the ball, its gonna be ugly for NU. Wyo 38 NU 21. I do believe Martinez is way to confident, arrogant, and overlooking the Pokes. He is a big sh#t talker, especially for having so many fumbles and int's.

If the Pokes offense gets stalled, its gonna get U-G-L-Y. Could be 45 to 28.

Either way, the Pokes beat the spread. I am actually putting money on the Pokes to win. This could be the year.

icon_post_target_unread.gifby BeaverPoke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:42 am

I really do not see Wyo getting blown out, but Wyo has got to limit the 60+ yard runs by Nebraska, and force Martinez to make bad decisions. A couple plays throughout the game could decide this thing.

icon_post_target_unread.gifby YankPoke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:47 pm

Without those brown and gold blinders on, I think that the poke offense will definately score on a mediocre Husker d, but the Huskers pull away in the fourth for a 38-31 victory.

With the goggles on, the Huskers d gets shredded early and Wyo pulls out to a 21 point lead in the first quarter, only to slow down and have the Huskers come back and make it a close 35-31 Wyo victory.

icon_post_target_unread.gifby OrediggerPoke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:00 pm

44-30 Nebraska

Brett Smith with 350 yards passing. Herron with 150 yards receiving. Nebraska with 300 yards rushing.

icon_post_target_unread.gifby CowboyNV » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:02 pm

I've seen over 50 Wyoming openers, and although I bleed brown and gold, I have a hunch this one gets ugly in the second half with Nebraska exploiting the Cowboy defense and our lack of depth. Pokes keep it close the first half (21-10) but the final, 48 - 10 Nebraska.

icon_post_target_unread.gifby seattlecowboy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:27 pm

I look for Wyoming to cover the 28 points but this game will still get away from them in the 2nd half.

Final

Nebraska 49 Wyoming 28

icon_post_target_unread.gifby The Virginian » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:45 pm

Given that both teams have good offenses and both teams have questionable defenses, I'm sad to have to give the nod to the Huskers 42-24. I'm afraid our defense is going to get blown out and our offense won't be able to keep up with the Husker's O.

icon_post_target_unread.gifby BeaverPoke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:52 pm

I get that some Pokes fans don't think that we will fine which is fine, but I don't see how Nebraska is going to blow us out or shut down Brett Smith, or beat us worse than Texas did last season. This high powered Nebraska offense is so turnover prone. Martinez is a huge fumbling and interception machine, did people forget about that?

icon_post_target_unread.gifby JimmyDimes » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:12 am

Even though there are question on the D, there aren't many on the O. I think this O is good enough to score points. And the D will be good enough to get some stops and force some turnovers. First game and the Pokes are out to prove the skeptics wrong and that last year was a fluke.

Pokes 28

The team in red 27

So there's a lot of optimism out west. Three of those posts were by the same guy (BeaverPoke) and he's in the minority with his predictions, but only a few guys are predicting a Husker blowout.

I get that they're Wyoming fans, but there are some disturbing numbers if I'm a Poke:

2012 Wyoming Stats

Rushing Offense - 99

Passing Efficiency - 30

Total Offense - 70

Scoring Offense - 72

Rushing Defense - 117

Pass Efficiency Defense - 108

Total Defense - 106

Scoring Defense - 97

2012 Nebraska Stats

Rushing Offense - 8

Passing Efficiency - 42

Total Offense - 26

Scoring Offense - 28

Rushing Defense - 90

Pass Efficiency Defense - 9

Total Defense - 35

Scoring Defense - 58

The strength of our defense matches up very well with the strength of their offense. They don't have much of a running game at all, meaning we can pressure with four and cover them well enough with the secondary to rack up a few sacks.

• Fire 2

I've been a member over at WyoNation (Cowboy football board) since our game in 2011 and I've gone back there these last few weeks to see what's up with the Cowboys. They're pretty high on their team, and they don't think it's going to be a huge blowout. Some excerpts from their prediction thread: icon_post_target_unread.gifby BeaverPoke » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:24 pm 31-28 wyo B-Smith goes off and people start taking notice.
icon_post_target_unread.gifby aranderson » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:27 am 38-30 Nebraska. I really hope we win but this being my no blinders guess. I don't wanna be a complete and utter homer with my score.
icon_post_target_unread.gifby one-smooth-poke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:17 am It is the first game of the season. I think the Bug Eaters are still hurting over the Wisconsin game. I have some neighbors who are big NU fans....they are all talking sh#t...all I have to do is say, "this is gonna be very similar to Wisconsin." They get ANGRY... We are having a "joint" bbq on game day. Wyo fans at my house, NU fans at theirs. LOL..it will be fun. Like most on here, I bleed brown and gold. If Smith runs the the offense, the receivers catch the ball, its gonna be ugly for NU. Wyo 38 NU 21. I do believe Martinez is way to confident, arrogant, and overlooking the Pokes. He is a big sh#t talker, especially for having so many fumbles and int's. If the Pokes offense gets stalled, its gonna get U-G-L-Y. Could be 45 to 28. Either way, the Pokes beat the spread. I am actually putting money on the Pokes to win. This could be the year.
icon_post_target_unread.gifby BeaverPoke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:42 am I really do not see Wyo getting blown out, but Wyo has got to limit the 60+ yard runs by Nebraska, and force Martinez to make bad decisions. A couple plays throughout the game could decide this thing.
icon_post_target_unread.gifby YankPoke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:47 pm Without those brown and gold blinders on, I think that the poke offense will definately score on a mediocre Husker d, but the Huskers pull away in the fourth for a 38-31 victory. With the goggles on, the Huskers d gets shredded early and Wyo pulls out to a 21 point lead in the first quarter, only to slow down and have the Huskers come back and make it a close 35-31 Wyo victory.
icon_post_target_unread.gifby OrediggerPoke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:00 pm 44-30 Nebraska Brett Smith with 350 yards passing. Herron with 150 yards receiving. Nebraska with 300 yards rushing.
icon_post_target_unread.gifby CowboyNV » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:02 pm I've seen over 50 Wyoming openers, and although I bleed brown and gold, I have a hunch this one gets ugly in the second half with Nebraska exploiting the Cowboy defense and our lack of depth. Pokes keep it close the first half (21-10) but the final, 48 - 10 Nebraska.
icon_post_target_unread.gifby seattlecowboy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:27 pm I look for Wyoming to cover the 28 points but this game will still get away from them in the 2nd half. Final Nebraska 49 Wyoming 28
icon_post_target_unread.gifby The Virginian » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:45 pm Given that both teams have good offenses and both teams have questionable defenses, I'm sad to have to give the nod to the Huskers 42-24. I'm afraid our defense is going to get blown out and our offense won't be able to keep up with the Husker's O.
icon_post_target_unread.gifby BeaverPoke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:52 pm I get that some Pokes fans don't think that we will fine which is fine, but I don't see how Nebraska is going to blow us out or shut down Brett Smith, or beat us worse than Texas did last season. This high powered Nebraska offense is so turnover prone. Martinez is a huge fumbling and interception machine, did people forget about that?
icon_post_target_unread.gifby JimmyDimes » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:12 am Even though there are question on the D, there aren't many on the O. I think this O is good enough to score points. And the D will be good enough to get some stops and force some turnovers. First game and the Pokes are out to prove the skeptics wrong and that last year was a fluke. Pokes 28 The team in red 27
So there's a lot of optimism out west. Three of those posts were by the same guy (BeaverPoke) and he's in the minority with his predictions, but only a few guys are predicting a Husker blowout. I get that they're Wyoming fans, but there are some disturbing numbers if I'm a Poke: 2012 Wyoming Stats Rushing Offense - 99 Passing Efficiency - 30 Total Offense - 70 Scoring Offense - 72 Rushing Defense - 117 Pass Efficiency Defense - 108 Total Defense - 106 Scoring Defense - 97 2012 Nebraska Stats Rushing Offense - 8 Passing Efficiency - 42 Total Offense - 26 Scoring Offense - 28 Rushing Defense - 90 Pass Efficiency Defense - 9 Total Defense - 35 Scoring Defense - 58 The strength of our defense matches up very well with the strength of their offense. They don't have much of a running game at all, meaning we can pressure with four and cover them well enough with the secondary to rack up a few sacks.

HA! Jokes on them by about 900 Saturday night!

Since when is T-Magic a "big sh#t talker"?

And the huge turnover machine on Saturday will be Brett Smith. Take that to the bank

Obviously they are wrong in that assessment, but I can see how it would be easy to make that assumption based off of interviews with him if you don't really understand the context like his own fanbase does. He says bold things, and he says them matter-of-fact, not giving two craps about political correctness and I love it.

I've been a member over at WyoNation (Cowboy football board) since our game in 2011 and I've gone back there these last few weeks to see what's up with the Cowboys. They're pretty high on their team, and they don't think it's going to be a huge blowout. Some excerpts from their prediction thread:

icon_post_target_unread.gifby BeaverPoke » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:24 pm

31-28 wyo

B-Smith goes off and people start taking notice.

icon_post_target_unread.gifby aranderson » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:27 am

38-30 Nebraska. I really hope we win but this being my no blinders guess. I don't wanna be a complete and utter homer with my score.

It is the first game of the season. I think the Bug Eaters are still hurting over the Wisconsin game. I have some neighbors who are big NU fans....they are all talking sh#t...all I have to do is say, "this is gonna be very similar to Wisconsin." They get ANGRY... We are having a "joint" bbq on game day. Wyo fans at my house, NU fans at theirs. LOL..it will be fun.

Like most on here, I bleed brown and gold. If Smith runs the the offense, the receivers catch the ball, its gonna be ugly for NU. Wyo 38 NU 21. I do believe Martinez is way to confident, arrogant, and overlooking the Pokes. He is a big sh#t talker, especially for having so many fumbles and int's.

Either way, the Pokes beat the spread. I am actually putting money on the Pokes to win. This could be the year.

icon_post_target_unread.gifby BeaverPoke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:42 am

I really do not see Wyo getting blown out, but Wyo has got to limit the 60+ yard runs by Nebraska, and force Martinez to make bad decisions. A couple plays throughout the game could decide this thing.

icon_post_target_unread.gifby YankPoke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:47 pm

Without those brown and gold blinders on, I think that the poke offense will definately score on a mediocre Husker d, but the Huskers pull away in the fourth for a 38-31 victory.

With the goggles on, the Huskers d gets shredded early and Wyo pulls out to a 21 point lead in the first quarter, only to slow down and have the Huskers come back and make it a close 35-31 Wyo victory.

icon_post_target_unread.gifby OrediggerPoke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:00 pm

44-30 Nebraska

Brett Smith with 350 yards passing. Herron with 150 yards receiving. Nebraska with 300 yards rushing.

icon_post_target_unread.gifby CowboyNV » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:02 pm

I've seen over 50 Wyoming openers, and although I bleed brown and gold, I have a hunch this one gets ugly in the second half with Nebraska exploiting the Cowboy defense and our lack of depth. Pokes keep it close the first half (21-10) but the final, 48 - 10 Nebraska.

icon_post_target_unread.gifby seattlecowboy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:27 pm

I look for Wyoming to cover the 28 points but this game will still get away from them in the 2nd half.

Final

Nebraska 49 Wyoming 28

icon_post_target_unread.gifby The Virginian » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:45 pm

Given that both teams have good offenses and both teams have questionable defenses, I'm sad to have to give the nod to the Huskers 42-24. I'm afraid our defense is going to get blown out and our offense won't be able to keep up with the Husker's O.

icon_post_target_unread.gifby BeaverPoke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:52 pm

I get that some Pokes fans don't think that we will fine which is fine, but I don't see how Nebraska is going to blow us out or shut down Brett Smith, or beat us worse than Texas did last season. This high powered Nebraska offense is so turnover prone. Martinez is a huge fumbling and interception machine, did people forget about that?

icon_post_target_unread.gifby JimmyDimes » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:12 am

Even though there are question on the D, there aren't many on the O. I think this O is good enough to score points. And the D will be good enough to get some stops and force some turnovers. First game and the Pokes are out to prove the skeptics wrong and that last year was a fluke.

Pokes 28

The team in red 27

So there's a lot of optimism out west. Three of those posts were by the same guy (BeaverPoke) and he's in the minority with his predictions, but only a few guys are predicting a Husker blowout.

I get that they're Wyoming fans, but there are some disturbing numbers if I'm a Poke:

2012 Wyoming Stats

Rushing Offense - 99

Passing Efficiency - 30

Total Offense - 70

Scoring Offense - 72

Rushing Defense - 117

Pass Efficiency Defense - 108

Total Defense - 106

Scoring Defense - 97

2012 Nebraska Stats

Rushing Offense - 8

Passing Efficiency - 42

Total Offense - 26

Scoring Offense - 28

Rushing Defense - 90

Pass Efficiency Defense - 9

Total Defense - 35

Scoring Defense - 58

The strength of our defense matches up very well with the strength of their offense. They don't have much of a running game at all, meaning we can pressure with four and cover them well enough with the secondary to rack up a few sacks.

I'm reminded of a statement heard on one of those investment commercials. "Past performance is no guarantee of future success." Last year's numbers are last year's numbers for BOTH teams. I don't think Wyoming will win, but I think they'll beat the spread. But opinions are like ********, everyone has one. Here's to a well fought game with no injuries.

Since when is T-Magic a "big sh#t talker"?

And the huge turnover machine on Saturday will be Brett Smith. Take that to the bank

Obviously they are wrong in that assessment, but I can see how it would be easy to make that assumption based off of interviews with him if you don't really understand the context like his own fanbase does. He says bold things, and he says them matter-of-fact, not giving two craps about political correctness and I love it.

To me, that's more of confidence/cockiness thing.

I think being a "big sh#t talker" would be saying bad things about the other team, which I don't really remember Taylor ever doing that.

by YankPoke » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:47 pm

tumblr_leemwgt8cr1qdlkgg.gif

Go home brah, you're drunk.

I'm reminded of a statement heard on one of those investment commercials. "Past performance is no guarantee of future success." Last year's numbers are last year's numbers for BOTH teams. I don't think Wyoming will win, but I think they'll beat the spread. But opinions are like ********, everyone has one. Here's to a well fought game with no injuries.

I don't disagree, and due to graduation and a few other factors those stats are weak for this conversation, but it's pretty safe to say that if your offense has a strength, it's in the passing game, and if our defense has a strength it's also in the passing game. Same can be said of our Offense and Wyoming's defense - if there's a strength, it's in the running game, and WY's defensive weakness is in the running game as well.

What I'd like to know, if you have the time, is who/how many guys do you return on both lines? Did you lose a few guys on either side to graduation, and if so, how key were they?

We lost three of our four starting defensive linemen, but the guys we lost (with the exception of Eric Martin) weren't world-beaters, so that could be a wash, or addition by subtraction. On offense we lost our center but otherwise return most of the line. We're being told this is our best O line in a decade - but I'll believe it when I see it.

There are about 3 straight sensible posts in the middle starting with CowboyNV and ending with our very own TheVirginian. I don't get the other posts, must be brown and yellow kool aid.........................................sorry for the delay, I just had to go throw up. Anyways I get that WYO may score in the mid 20's as their O seems decent, I just don't get how they think they will hold the Husker O to less than 40.