Know the Foe: Brett Smith

Unless I am reading some of the comments wrong, a lot of the Wyoming faithful are talking up Smith's talents to the effect that he and Wyoming will somehow shock Nebraska on Saturday (or at least keep it close). But will all his talents and good numbers last year, Wyoming didn't shock a single damn team. Good quarterback or not, he simply does not lead his team to victory.

What I'm saying is, there has been a lot of talk on this board about Brett Smith and whether or not he is good, but actually it doesn't matter, there is nothing to indicate that Saturday will be anything other than a blowout in NU's favor, although Smith may or may not put up decent numbers. So does it really matter how good anyone thinks he is? It's a bloodbath either way!

Smith does appear to be a quite good QB. But his team... obviously... cannot compete with NU on any level. So... give props where props are due --- Smith is a pretty good (at the very least) and perhaps a quite good college QB on a team that will be over matched in most (if not every) area on Saturday. He likely will have some modest measure of success against NU on Saturday... but in the end... NU wins big. Likely very big.

I haven't wanted to put a quarterback in the Graveyard so bad since Blaine Gabbert.

You sir, are a bonified ass. Wishing injury on anyone is the lowest sort of scumbaggery there is. How about we play the game, no injuries and we continue on with our respective seasons? A win by either team will not change world history in one iota, it's just a damn football game. To suggest that your team hurt someone on my team only because we Wyoming fans are not taking all your arrogant sh#t is despicable. Go get an f'n life dirt bag.

Nope, nope, nope. Landlord's "Quarterback Graveyard" is simply a list of quarterbacks who've had statistically poor games against Bo's defense. It has nothing at all to do with injuries.

OK, if you say so. The statement on its face is inflamatory, no?

This is assuming that injuries automatically mean someone goes to a graveyard, if you took Landlord's post literally. We're not talking about horses here. We have medical care for injured humans and can usually avoid graveyards for football injuries. Maybe they do things differently in Wyoming.

In the absence of any kind of rebuttal other than "I hope" and "Maybe" and "vaguely remember" I think we're done here. Good for you that you're so encouraging to the opponent. You're a good man.

Smith had very good numbers in 2012. The argument to dismiss those numbers amount to 'He didn't play against good defenses' and 'Wyoming's offense wasn't very good.' It's Wyoming! What do you expect?

I've said all this before. You may disagree. Whatever, really. It's not that important. Again, I don't find the argument compelling. I think that's a reasonable position. Good numbers on a poor team don't indicate greatness, but they don't rule it out conclusively, on their own. The numbers aren't as telling as you'd like them to be here. That's my position.

Please show Brett Smith's "very good numbers in 2012." Thank you.

I'm afraid this got lost in the shuffle. I'd like an answer to this, please. Thank you.

Smith does appear to be a quite good QB. But his team... obviously... cannot compete with NU on any level. So... give props where props are due --- Smith is a pretty good (at the very least) and perhaps a quite good college QB on a team that will be over matched in most (if not every) area on Saturday. He likely will have some modest measure of success against NU on Saturday... but in the end... NU wins big. Likely very big.

I haven't wanted to put a quarterback in the Graveyard so bad since Blaine Gabbert.

You sir, are a bonified ass. Wishing injury on anyone is the lowest sort of scumbaggery there is. How about we play the game, no injuries and we continue on with our respective seasons? A win by either team will not change world history in one iota, it's just a damn football game. To suggest that your team hurt someone on my team only because we Wyoming fans are not taking all your arrogant sh#t is despicable. Go get an f'n life dirt bag.

Nope, nope, nope. Landlord's "Quarterback Graveyard" is simply a list of quarterbacks who've had statistically poor games against Bo's defense. It has nothing at all to do with injuries.

OK, if you say so. The statement on its face is inflamatory, no?

No, we've had an ongoing "QB Graveyard" post here on Huskerboard for years now. In fact here is a link http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/55555-bo-pelinis-quarterback-graveyard-2013-edition/page__hl__%2Bquarterback+%2Bgraveyard__fromsearch__1

It's all about stats.

For the record, I haven't gone on any site, Wyoming or Nebraskan and made any outrageous claims as to Wyoming's prospects for victory. No doubt it's a looooooong shot. My expectations is that Wyoming will have some success, particuarly early in the game, but that the weight of homefield advantage and Husker talent will do them in. No biggie. Really, no biggie. My hope is that my team comes out of the game unscathed injury-wise and they they'll earn some begruding respect from the Nebraska fans (O.K. that might be a much to ask). Anyway, the team will get some good experience and may build some confidence so they'll realize that the coming competion is not nearly on the par with Nebraska. It could come in handy against conference rivals Boise State, Nevada, San Diego State and Fresno State, because as good as they are, they probably ain't no Kneebraska.

For the record, I haven't gone on any site, Wyoming or Nebraskan and made any outrageous claims as to Wyoming's prospects for victory. No doubt it's a looooooong shot. My expectations is that Wyoming will have some success, particuarly early in the game, but that the weight of homefield advantage and Husker talent will do them in. No biggie. Really, no biggie. My hope is that my team comes out of the game unscathed injury-wise and they they'll earn some begruding respect from the Nebraska fans (O.K. that might be a much to ask). Anyway, the team will get some good experience and may build some confidence so they'll realize that the coming competion is not nearly on the par with Nebraska. It could come in handy against conference rivals Boise State, Nevada, San Diego State and Fresno State, because as good as they are, they probably ain't no Kneebraska.

I can guarantee they'll get a standing ovation from part of the stadium as they leave the field.

Virginian, I don't think it'll be begrudging respect. Near as I recall the last two times we played you guys we had more than a little respect for your team. 1994 of course the year you nearly beat us, and 2011 you folks showed our fans a pretty good time, and the game was pretty respectable.

We'll go on about this player or that, but nobody here looks down on Wyoming, or Wyoming fans. You guys are cool.