Roughing the Quarterback?

TaraTony

Did the NCAA rules once again change as far as roughing the Quarterback? That penalty on the high sack on Brett Smith yesterday, in prior years, is a completely legal tackle. It was closest to being a horsecollar, yet it wasn't. Can anyonoe enlighten me on this? Or was it simply a case for a first game, small conference Referee seeing a tackle that "looks like" it could hurt a player, and calling it a personal foul?

It more closely would have resembled an "uneccessary roughness" tackle. He looked like he was trying to snap the guy's neck.

Especially on replay. It was pretty vicious.

Roughing the passer was not the right call.

It was very vicious but you can still play that way and be within the rules, which Gregory was. I think it was just small conference refs not being used to big time play. Chalk this one up there with calls like Gabbert's forward progress, Suh's Slam, etc.

I don't agree with that call one bit. It removes the quarterback from any responsibility in the situation. Had he not ducked down to avoid the tackle Gregory hits him around the shoulders.

Most officiating crews don't make that call, but the most crews don't call holding on 4th & 1 after not calling it all game.

Overall I thought that crew did a bad job.

• Fire 1

The crew sucked. My guess is in addition to the BS new targeting rule, ref crews have probably been given the directive to "protect the players" which is such a crap call.

What the hell does that even mean?

That being said, you can't call "intent". Yes, it may suck to have a player make a certain move that makes a previously clean hit into a "dirty" one, but that's what they have to call.

I don't agree with that call one bit. It removes the quarterback from any responsibility in the situation. Had he not ducked down to avoid the tackle Gregory hits him around the shoulders.

Most officiating crews don't make that call, but the most crews don't call holding on 4th & 1 after not calling it all game.

Overall I thought that crew did a bad job.

That is the thing for me. A qb can too easily draw a penalty by ducking-down. As you said Gregory would've otherwise been shoulderpad height if not for the duck.

That crew was in over their heads.

That's football in 2013. The QB in particular has a tiny strike zone. You grab him by the neck like that, and the refs see it, it'll get called every time.

The thing that surprised me is that they saw it. Initially I thought it was just a really good sack, but in slow motion it was pretty obvious. There were some bad calls in that game, as the video reviews demonstrated, but that was actually an exceptional call by the ref. Not that I agree with the rule.