Getting a good read on the defense

tmfr15

agree, the unproven buddie picks have not helped him move ahead...costly, actually.

Yep, Callahan did it with Cosgrove too......yet somehow Pelini wins games and makes bowls. Callahan can't say that and even Dabo can't say that.....Dabo has a 6-7 season in 2010. Pelini has nothing less than 9 wins in any season.

But now that he has his own staff, the dysfunction just continues.

A team doesn't win 9 or more games each year of a coaching tenure if things are seriously dysfunctional.

I respectfully disagree. It's possible that the dysfunction only shows up at certain times, such as when they're matched up against a superior staff and challenged to make adjustments on the fly. That's when the dysfunctional nature of this staff becomes apparent. And it's a recurring theme during the blowouts. It was also on full display on Saturday.

A team doesn't win 9 or more games each year of a coaching tenure if things are seriously dysfunctional.

I respectfully disagree. It's possible that the dysfunction only shows up at certain times, such as when they're matched up against a superior staff and challenged to make adjustments on the fly. That's when the dysfunctional nature of this staff becomes apparent. And it's a recurring theme during the blowouts. It was also on full display on Saturday.

No worries. I don't think I'm interested in debating if we are situationally dysfunctional. I really like the upgraded defensive talent.....and it was done quickly, so I'm excited to see what happens the remainder of the season.

It's like 1990 all over again. Except then it was TO's offense under heavy scrutiny. Same suggested solution as well: TO needed to hire an experienced OC.

I don't know what the current solution is, but I get deja vu listening to the arguments.

And don't forget firing McBride. His name was anathema in Nebraska about that time. Then he switched to the 4-3, got more speed on the field, and he's now the benchmark by which good defensive coordinators are judged.

It's like 1990 all over again. Except then it was TO's offense under heavy scrutiny. Same suggested solution as well: TO needed to hire an experienced OC.

I don't know what the current solution is, but I get deja vu listening to the arguments.

And don't forget firing McBride. His name was anathema in Nebraska about that time. Then he switched to the 4-3, got more speed on the field, and he's now the benchmark by which good defensive coordinators are judged.

Yep. Trev Alberts and the media hype about the switch to the 4-3 might have saved McBride's job. Of course the offense finally started playing well against better teams around 1992 or 1993. When the defense isn't on the field the whole game, they tend to play better.

+1

The key point is that changes were made and problems were fixed. Bo seems too stubborn to change the defense. Bo changed the offense and the change is good.

Yep. Trev Alberts and the media hype about the switch to the 4-3 might have saved McBride's job. Of course the offense finally started playing well against better teams around 1992 or 1993. When the defense isn't on the field the whole game, they tend to play better.

You really need to go back and watch some of those games from that era. Most of the teams in the Big 8 sucked at that point. We really saw what we had in the bowl games. It's of little wonder why we lost 8 in a row. We were glaringly slow and bad on defense. The Florida schools proved that time and time again. I don't recall many grumblings over TO's offense, but I do remember people calling for McBride's job (head). Switching to the 4-3 had a lot less to do with our defensive improvement than the sheer recruiting changes we made on defensive players. The emphasis changed to basically one thing and one thing only: speed and lots of it.

You really need to go back and watch some of those games from that era. Most of the teams in the Big 8 sucked at that point. We really saw what we had in the bowl games. It's of little wonder why we lost 8 in a row. We were glaringly slow and bad on defense. The Florida schools proved that time and time again. I don't recall many grumblings over TO's offense, but I do remember people calling for McBride's job (head). Switching to the 4-3 had a lot less to do with our defensive improvement than the sheer recruiting changes we made on defensive players. The emphasis changed to basically one thing and one thing only: speed and lots of it.

I'm not sure why you think I should go back and watch games - my recollection agrees with what you've said. We gave up 45 points in back-to-back games to end the 1990 season that put McBride on the really hot seat. And then the 22-0 loss to Miami to end the next year when we only managed 170 yards of total offense that started the grumblings over TO's offense. (And we only lost 7 in a row :) )

So are you the same Tfree from over at Huskerpedia? Isn't there enough hate going on over there from GFOA, Big D, Pops, and Bilsker? That you have to bring it over here.

So are you the same Tfree from over at Huskerpedia? Isn't there enough hate going on over there from GFOA, Big D, Pops, and Bilsker? That you have to bring it over here.

My thoughts exactly^.

I think Bo and Dabo came in about the same time. Bo has brought in friends with little experience over and I think he has needed good help since he got here. Dabo runs the ship, he hired top end Coordinators, nearly if not the highest paid in the country. It is working for Clemson, why not here.

2) Clemson is in a much weaker conference and has still plateaued each year the same way that we have with Bo.

Plateaued? We lost two games last year, both to top 10 teams (SCar & FSU), and started the 2013 season with a win over #5 UGA and Clemson is now ranked #4. Go on, tell me how Clemson has plateaued. Nothing against Bo, but Dabo took over a non ranked team and now has them consistently ranked in the top 15. That's a pretty damn good job if you ask me.

If we plateau around #4, I'd be ok with that.

• Fire 2

I think Bo and Dabo came in about the same time. Bo has brought in friends with little experience over and I think he has needed good help since he got here. Dabo runs the ship, he hired top end Coordinators, nearly if not the highest paid in the country. It is working for Clemson, why not here.

2) Clemson is in a much weaker conference and has still plateaued each year the same way that we have with Bo.

Plateaued? We lost two games last year, both to top 10 teams (SCar & FSU), and started the 2013 season with a win over #5 UGA and Clemson is now ranked #4. Go on, tell me how Clemson has plateaued. Nothing against Bo, but Dabo took over a non ranked team and now has them consistently ranked in the top 15. That's a pretty damn good job if you ask me.

If we plateau around #4, I'd be ok with that.

Yeah and how many times have you guys been blown out? Not as many as us I presume. That's my biggest gripe with Pelini's tenure and that's something you don't hear about there.

I'd kill to plateau at #4 lmao