Rewatched Game- Defensive Thoughts

Warrior10

I see some posts about the McBride defense attacking the spread defenses, punishing the QB, etc. Yes, we all love those glory days, but there is a huge difference between now and then. The proliferation of the mobile QB, who is able to also pass, is what makes the spread defenses so hard to defend. McBride was able to send Wistrom and company off the edges and attack Wuerfel because the QB was a statue. Without the fear of the QB taking off and run at any time, the defenses were able to attack more freely. With today's mobile QB's who can also throw, it's so much easier for them to move around in the backfield and make a pass to an open receiver down field. Smith from Wyoming did that countless times last week. Defenses today, have to play more contain/coverage, try to get pressure with their front 4, and try to limit the big plays in the secondary.

Hammer meet Nail Dirk ;)

http://www.tunnelwalkofshame.com/

Its almost like I wrote this....Smart dude :)

That’s it. 5 minutes. A dozen plays - half of which didn’t include our defense. Sure, we can’t draw a lot of conclusions from this series of hypotheticals. But here’s one thing I know: had Nebraska won that game 44-21, nobody would be worried at all. At all. “21 points and 475 yards isn’t terrible. They’ve got some real play-makers. For the first game, that was pretty good.” But no. We watched a 5-minute implosion that nearly resulted in disaster and the narrative instantly became, “This defense is doomed! Fire Bo Pelini! Murder John Papuchis!”

The issue is, this is Nebraska...all the way. 5 minutes. It goes our way against Ohio State, MSU, Penn State, Northwestern, etc. Other times it's a complete meltdown...second Ohio State, Michigan 11', Georgia, South Carolina, etc. Bo Pelini and this team are always 1-3 plays from greatness or utter failure. This team hasn't played a truely "complete" game since MSU 2011...maybe Iowa 2011. It's been almost 2 years since we saw the team function at full potential for 4 quarters. And lately its becoming far more common for us to fall short by 1-3 plays, than to prevail because of 1-3.

And what brought about these 5 minutes? Turnovers. Something that has been hanging around this team for years.

http://www.tunnelwalkofshame.com/

Its almost like I wrote this....Smart dude :)

That’s it. 5 minutes. A dozen plays - half of which didn’t include our defense. Sure, we can’t draw a lot of conclusions from this series of hypotheticals. But here’s one thing I know: had Nebraska won that game 44-21, nobody would be worried at all. At all. “21 points and 475 yards isn’t terrible. They’ve got some real play-makers. For the first game, that was pretty good.” But no. We watched a 5-minute implosion that nearly resulted in disaster and the narrative instantly became, “This defense is doomed! Fire Bo Pelini! Murder John Papuchis!”

The issue is, this is Nebraska...all the way. 5 minutes. It goes our way against Ohio State, MSU, Penn State, Northwestern, etc. Other times it's a complete meltdown...second Ohio State, Michigan 11', Georgia, South Carolina, etc. Bo Pelini and this team are always 1-3 plays from greatness or utter failure. This team hasn't played a truely "complete" game since MSU 2011...maybe Iowa 2011. It's been almost 2 years since we saw the team function at full potential for 4 quarters. And lately its becoming far more common for us to fall short by 1-3 plays, than to prevail because of 1-3.

And what brought about these 5 minutes? Turnovers. Something that has been hanging around this team for years.

Hard to argue with you here, turnovers have killed us and almost did again. The overall point still remains the same however, its just one game. Cant get too high or too low. Although the trend certainly favors us to continue to be turnover prone, i think we will be better this season, even thou the first game didnt turn out that way. Atleast we are at 0 in turnover margain. One "fumble" was a guy ripping the ball out of Tmarts hands, when, imo, the play should have been blown dead. Obviously they got the ball in the same spot reguardless, but thats hard for me to call that a fumble, like were used to Tmart fumbling. I still look for this team to buck the trend and atleast be in a positive turnover margin this season with more experience on offense and more athleticism on D.

I doubt many people said that about Cosgrove. That guy was pure idiot and had never fielded a competent defense in his life. Bo and Co. have.

The thing that makes me a little nervous about this way of thinking is "Bo and Co." is no longer here. It's now Bo + some guys who have never fielded a competent defense.

Then what was it right off the bat when Bo came here? It wasn't a lot of big-name guys then either.

I see some posts about the McBride defense attacking the spread defenses, punishing the QB, etc. Yes, we all love those glory days, but there is a huge difference between now and then. The proliferation of the mobile QB, who is able to also pass, is what makes the spread defenses so hard to defend. McBride was able to send Wistrom and company off the edges and attack Wuerfel because the QB was a statue. Without the fear of the QB taking off and run at any time, the defenses were able to attack more freely. With today's mobile QB's who can also throw, it's so much easier for them to move around in the backfield and make a pass to an open receiver down field. Smith from Wyoming did that countless times last week. Defenses today, have to play more contain/coverage, try to get pressure with their front 4, and try to limit the big plays in the secondary.

Hammer meet Nail Dirk ;)

this is a great point. Along with more mobile QB's you also have tougher roughing penalties and o line are able to basically wrap up a d-line. Playing d is much harder than in the 90's

...and our defense gave up 28 plays of 10 yards or longer (good for dead last in the nation). That spanned far more than the last 5 minutes.

And they gave up a school record 35 first downs over the course of the game.

In spite of all that, we held them to 21 points until the team lost focus/melt down (last 5 minutes) whatever excuse we want to use. Fact is, if you dont look at the numbers (just for a second) and watch how the game unfolds it tells a different story than just strictly looking at the numbers, which i agree are unacceptable. The D did start to improve over the course of the game and the new players started to settle down as adjusments were made. It was the last 5 minutes that it all went haywire when we should have and could have closed the game out on offense THREE TIMES

I see both sides of the arguement it depends on how you look at it and if you have trust in the coaches/players to get better or not. This defense has monster potential. Weve always known the season depends on how fast they grow up. That hasnt changed.

ok go back to dissecting the numbers.

• Fire 1

...and our defense gave up 28 plays of 10 yards or longer (good for dead last in the nation). That spanned far more than the last 5 minutes.

And they gave up a school record 35 first downs over the course of the game.

In spite of all that, we held them to 21 points until the team lost focus/melt down (last 5 minutes) whatever excuse we want to use. Fact is, if you dont look at the numbers (just for a second) and watch how the game unfolds it tells a different story than just strictly looking at the numbers, which i agree are unacceptable. The D did start to improve over the course of the game and the new players started to settle down as adjusments were made. It was the last 5 minutes that it all went haywire when we should have and could have closed the game out on offense THREE TIMES

I see both sides of the arguement it depends on how you look at it and if you have trust in the coaches/players to get better or not. This defense has monster potential. Weve always known the season depends on how fast they grow up. That hasnt changed.

ok go back to dissecting the numbers.

I do think too often the defense has taken the shaft for offensive errors throughout this entire stretch. Look at he UCLA game last year. The offense went to crap in the 2nd half (Beck went full Watson), just when the defense started playing lights out. The Ohio State blowout? There are 2-3 offensive plays that were key to that point swing, starting with Taylor's pick six, I believe followed shortly after by another turnover. I think the offense certainly shoulders as much blame for this one as the D. But honestly, the offensive issues came as much from the booth as they did the field. I liked the talent excuse - it fit the bill and was fixable without drastic change. Unless things change dramatically over the next couple months it's going to take all of a spectacular November to convince me the underlying issue isn't making 6-7 figures wearing khaki's instead of a uniform.

Since we keep bringing up McBride and defenses of years past, I looked up how many times each of our last 4 coaches gave up 35 or more in a game win or lose. I was surprised a little at the results. Here they are if anyone cares:

Osborne:

Oklahoma:35, 38, 45

Missouri:35, 38

Iowa St:37

UCLA:41

Oklahoma St:42

Florida State:41

Georgia Tech:45

Washington:36

Texas:37

25 seasons, 12 games. .48 per season

Solich:

Kansas St:40,49, 38

Colorado:62

Iowa St:36

Missouri:41

Miami:37

Penn St:40

6 seasons, 8 games. 1.33 per season

Callahan:

Texas Tech:70

Kansas St:45

Missouri:41, 41

Kansas 40, 76

Oklahoma St:41, 45

Texas A & M:36

Colorado:65

USC:49

Ball State:40

4 seasons, 12 games. 3 per season

Pelini:

Virginia Tech:35

Missouri:52

Texas Tech:37

Oklahoma:62

Kansas:35

Oklahoma St:41

Washington:38

Wisconsin:48,70

Michigan:45

UCLA:36

Ohio St:63

Georgia:45

5 seasons, 13 games. 2.6 per season

Probably useless information but it's a little slow at work so WTH.