Impact of the UCLA Game

EZ-E

Trying to steal tschu's thunder, I see.
Well my thunder was stolen. Probably not going to do my write-up now

Didnt target anyone and I certainly didnt intentionally "steal anyone's thunder." So I don't see the significance of The Dude's backhanded comment. People that have read my posts in the past know that I do long posts from time to time.

TSchu, do your write up. I'm sure we have different views.

I'm mostly just messin' man.

Some of your views are identical to mine though. Great minds think alike

So do dumb ones ;)

EZ, Chaddy, and Fowler-You guys can bet there are gonna be wrinkles. Major wrinkles. I dont know about you guys but I've seen numerous plays in the first couple games thinkin "if that'd been last year, Taylor wouldve taken that to the house" or "that guy had this pattern wide open for a score but broke it off" and so on. Not to mention, how many times have we stretched the field with the downfield passing game? It's been few if any. And I'm not talking about just throwin the ball downfield, but the route combinations have been rather shallow for the most part as well.

Also, I've been reiterated to yet again, this staff and team have been working on this game all of fall camp, as well as during prep weeks for the first two games. Say what you will about that, because it did almost bite us in the ass game 1, but I just have this feeling we'll be pleasantly surprised about 2:30 pm Saturday.

EZ, Chaddy, and Fowler-You guys can bet there are gonna be wrinkles. Major wrinkles. I dont know about you guys but I've seen numerous plays in the first couple games thinkin "if that'd been last year, Taylor wouldve taken that to the house" or "that guy had this pattern wide open for a score but broke it off" and so on. Not to mention, how many times have we stretched the field with the downfield passing game? It's been few if any. And I'm not talking about just throwin the ball downfield, but the route combinations have been rather shallow for the most part as well.

Also, I've been reiterated to yet again, this staff and team have been working on this game all of fall camp, as well as during prep weeks for the first two games. Say what you will about that, because it did almost bite us in the ass game 1, but I just have this feeling we'll be pleasantly surprised about 2:30 pm Saturday.

We had a conversation about this very thing Mr. A. Offensively it has just really looked like we've been sandbagging.

I'm really looking forward to what we have played for our use of RG44

UCLA will be very surprised by what we run on offense Saturday. I think the playbook hasn't even been barely opened, I think we were running just base formations and just showing the talent on the field. Basically showing one card of our hand . I'm just hoping our defense won't be as surprised by UCLAs offense. A good game in my opinion will be us holding them to under 28 points. I'll take a win no matter what, but it'll be nearly impossible to gain confidence in this defense if we get shredded again and squeak out a win.

Trying to steal tschu's thunder, I see.
Well my thunder was stolen. Probably not going to do my write-up now

Didnt target anyone and I certainly didnt intentionally "steal anyone's thunder." So I don't see the significance of The Dude's backhanded comment. People that have read my posts in the past know that I do long posts from time to time.

TSchu, do your write up. I'm sure we have different views.

I'm mostly just messin' man.

Some of your views are identical to mine though. Great minds think alike

I don't care what any of you people write. I'm planning on writing something up, and I'm going to do it based solely on my available time. You write yours, tschu, EZ wrote his, and I'll write mine. If ten guys write something up, that's ten more things to read than we usually have, aside from the regular-schmegular stuff we always talk about.

I pretty much guarantee mine won't be like anyone else's. :D

UCLA got a boost in both confidence and national perception when they beat us last year. I hoping this game will do the same for us.

Maybe all on the youngsters on D will work to our advantage. They weren't part of past debacles (not going to count Wyoming since that was the first real game for a lot of these guys). If they get beat for a big play, they may not get down on themselves and may forget by the next play with the short attention spans kids seem to have. :P

Now the ultimate reason this game is huge isn't because this would be some giant signature win (it's 16th ranked UCLA. Come on). It's because the doors opened by winning are significant and because the consequences for losing are so ridiculously enormous. The outcome gap between a win and a loss is very large.

This may be the best explanation of the game, yet.

"Notice that he has made some reads where he could have kept the ball on the zone read play and went up the middle for about 80 yards? I am wondering if he predetermined his read or if he wasn't trying to set something up. That zone read play has not really been that great thus far and we need it to be there."

I almost guarantee that has been by design....TMart had 2 or 3 chances to take it to the house in the Southern Miss game and didn't. I honestly don't know why....is it to mess with UCLA's D coordinator? Maybe....Is it to protect TMart? Maybe.....

He had ample opportunities to easily take it, but didn't. I find it quite interesting actually because I do not know exactly why they backed off on that zone read.

That's my thoughts as well. Don't exactly know, but something is up with that play.

Benning hinted as much on Monday or Tuesday this week. He thinks we have been setting up a few different wrinkles in the QB run game.

That's part of it. Then...TM is a bit hurt and we have to protect him. And, he doesn't read very well (there have been numerous pre-called "reads" in the TM years. So, like some of you, I expect to see a pretty different read run game this week. Hope TM finds a few seems that'll be good for a couple of scores.

I am sorry I do not swallow this. Yea the middle is open, but I do not want to score, so I will go the other way just to fool the UCLA staff. Poor reads, injury, those things are likely, but deciding not to score in a football game, with a kid like Taylor is not going to happen.

I am sorry I do not swallow this. Yea the middle is open, but I do not want to score, so I will go the other way just to fool the UCLA staff. Poor reads, injury, those things are likely, but deciding not to score in a football game, with a kid like Taylor is not going to happen.

I am not saying we have intentionally not tried to score. But if those reads that I am refering to weren't by design then I think we have a serious problem running that zone read play.

I really don't want to look it up, but I'm pretty sure last year I posted that Southern Miss was a better team than UCLA, and that victory against the underachieving Bruins was a stone-cold lock.

So I'm really torn by this year's gut feeling that the Huskers will win.

But I'm pretty sure we're not looking past UCLA to South Dakota State.