The Duke's Observations: UCLA, Tommie's Tweet, & Some Interesting Stat History

The Duke

The problem with averaging is that more data points are inevitably going to reduce the end result. So let's give each coach the same amount of data points and throw Callahan out of the discussion. Bo has five data points and averages a biggest lost total of -27.6

Now let's look at the coach he's invariably compared to, Tom Osborne:

1973: Oklahoma 0-27 (-27)

1974: Oklahoma 14-28 (-14)

1975: Oklahoma 35-10 (-25)

1976: Missouri 24-37 (-13)

1977: Oklahoma 7-38 (-31)

That's an average of -22

Excellent post, The Duke. +1.

Some thoughts of my own to supplement what you said. Offensively, I'm a huge fan of Nebraska's offense, but it craps the bed a couple games a year and a couple times a game. They are littered with experience, have a second team all-American on the offensive line and some extremely talented skill position players. But, year-to-year, Nebraska showcases the exact same issues. Inconsistent line blocking, mental mistakes from skill positions (dropped passes/fumbles) and an inability to show that any adjustments are being made. Nebraska has played good teams with really good players, but watching Nebraska play over the last few years, I walk away from most losses thinking they did far more to lose that game than the other team did to beat them. Those teams did make great plays, so I'm not trying to take anything away from them. Just ask yourself - how often do you walk away from a Husker loss and think the Huskers did everything they could have, but got beat by the better team? I very rarely think that. UCLA, for example, was easily beatable. Wisconsin was, imho, a worst team than us last year. Ohio State was a little better, but not by much.

Losses that shouldn't happen will happen. That's football. But they happen to Nebraska way more than they should.

Defensively, it's the exact same thing. How many people thought NU's defense played amazing in the first 15-20 minutes of that football game? There were some screw-ups, but man did they look good. Then adversity hit, which happens in most football games, and they crapped the bed. It's like they were in quicksand and the more they fought, the quicker they sank. Some of this can be chalked up to inexperience, but I must again remind everyone that these defensive meltdowns are no new occurrence. They've been relevant for a few years now. Players have come and gone, mistakes say the same. That is coaching.

Overall, and I've said this in other threads, Nebraska's problems are not at the QB position. It's not on the lines. It's not with the turnovers. It's not dropped passes. It's not turnovers.

It's mental. There are so many problems on this team, so many big problems, that it all comes back to discipline, mental fortitude and preparedness. I believe, like others believe, you play how you practice. You practice how your coach tells you to practice. At the end of this year, if Nebraska is still experiencing the mental weakness, the first thing that has to be done is coordinator evaluation. This is probably the best choice at the present time. I hate to say it, but these issues weren't as relevant with Carl Pelini, but grew significantly worse after he left. Shawn Watson's offenses had different and similar issues to Nebraska's current one. Coordinators can make a big impact. The other option, of course, is Pelini's job being at stake. I'm not prepared to look at that yet, but we have to look the quality of losses more-so than the losses themselves.

The way they lose now is nothing like the way they lost when Pelini first got here. Nebraska can't handle success and has a battered mentality. This falls entirely on the coaches, so something has to be done in this arena if things remain constant.

Some of this can be chalked up to inexperience, but I must again remind everyone that these defensive meltdowns are no new occurrence. They've been relevant for a few years now. Players have come and gone, mistakes say the same. That is coaching.

Overall, and I've said this in other threads, Nebraska's problems are not at the QB position. It's not on the lines. It's not with the turnovers. It's not dropped passes. It's not turnovers.

Regarding defensive meltdowns, if by a "few" years, you mean the past two seasons, then ok. I do not think we made the same mistakes when we had a defense loaded with talent. I recognize the lack of talent is on Pelini. As far as the offensive problems, I agree dropped passes are not an issue......the rest of what you wrote, I do not agree with. I think they are issues.

It's mental. There are so many problems on this team, so many big problems, that it all comes back to discipline, mental fortitude and preparedness. I believe, like others believe, you play how you practice. You practice how your coach tells you to practice. At the end of this year, if Nebraska is still experiencing the mental weakness, the first thing that has to be done is coordinator evaluation. This is probably the best choice at the present time. I hate to say it, but these issues weren't as relevant with Carl Pelini, but grew significantly worse after he left. Shawn Watson's offenses had different and similar issues to Nebraska's current one. Coordinators can make a big impact. The other option, of course, is Pelini's job being at stake. I'm not prepared to look at that yet, but we have to look the quality of losses more-so than the losses themselves.

The way they lose now is nothing like the way they lost when Pelini first got here. Nebraska can't handle success and has a battered mentality. This falls entirely on the coaches, so something has to be done in this arena if things remain constant.

I completely agree with you on the mental thing. I listened to Damon Benning on the post-game radio show, and he made a fabulous point that the way players play & respond to adversity correlates directly to their head coach's & position coach's personality & demeanor both on and off the field.

Think of the stories we have heard over the years from former Osborne players talking about how calm he would be at the half when things wouldn't be going right. Think what kind of effect that would have on young 18-22 year old players.

Don't get me wrong, there are times when Bo's fire & tenacity are great, but there are other times where he tends to be a loose cannon to which the message he is trying to get across to his players is lost in the noise.

As I said in the original post, Nebraska fans can take a loss, but what we want to see from the team is a competitive effort and a willing drive to never quit. We also want to see our coaches have the ability to make necessary changes on the fly both during game time and at the half.

I'm not calling for pink slips yet, but I also am not in disagreement with others who say the coaches should at least now consider themselves on the hot seat.

• Fire 2

Wow, great post and I agree with everything you said and thank you for the chart. Looking at that, I realize what a disaster Callahan was, how Solich got screwed for the most part, how incredible Tom Osborne was (still remember that Penn State game where they beat us by catching that pass 5 feet out of bounds:( and how looking at Pelini's record over the past 5 years, I see the no improvement and that is what really scares me.

You combine the lack of "getting better" with the blow-out losses, meltdowns and lack of identity on both sides of the ball and I don't see how we move forward with him as the HC? And people keep saying, but he is still winning and posting 9 or 10 wins but we also play 2-3 cream-puffs each year, can't beat a ranked team, embarrass ourselves in national TV games and have a coaching staff that says they "don't know?" when asked what the problems are.

Obviously, Pelini will coach out the rest of the year, but in my mind, if he loses 2-3 more games and posts another 9-4 or 10-4 season, I think it's going to be an interesting summer...that would be 6 years of no improvement:(

An offense doesn't have to choose between power and finesse. I'm not even sure what people mean by "finesse." Passing plays?

There aren't many teams that can simply declare their intention to run the ball between the tackles. Those great Husker rushing offenses came behind one of the best offense lines in the land, and a recruiting strategy that supported a pipeline, year after year. Those great Husker rushing offenses also passed more than some folks remember, and no one had cuter trick plays than Tom Osborne. And the triple option that powered our running game was actually complicated as hell, and required what could only be described as finesse. And yes, when many of those Osborne teams lined up agains opponents who could match them in strength, our offense got exposed as one dimensional.

I honestly don't think the problem is in the offensive scheme, and the notion of identity is overrated.

I do think that some teams have a defensive identity, and it's to be a defensive-minded team. When Pelini came in I thought that WAS our identity. Defense first. Defense nasty. And let that rub off on the offense, whatever they decide to run.

The problem is a teamwide loss of mojo. They are capable of running plays and schemes beautifully. Until their confidence gets shaken. Which happens far to easily.

That, I'm afraid, goes to head coaching.

• Fire 1

Glad I clicked to read. Thanks.

I coach tennis and am a distance runner. I have seen some great tennis players come and go but the good players have a coach at the academy that train the kids with mental toughness. As well, I see myself growing in mental toughness in every run as I stress the legs out and then push the mind further to endure the pain of the body.

Thus, I think I relate or can see the mental weakness rather well.

I completely agree with you on the mental thing. I listened to Damon Benning on the post-game radio show, and he made a fabulous point that the way players play & respond to adversity correlates directly to their head coach's & position coach's personality & demeanor both on and off the field.

Think of the stories we have heard over the years from former Osborne players talking about how calm he would be at the half when things wouldn't be going right. Think what kind of effect that would have on young 18-22 year old players.

Don't get me wrong, there are times when Bo's fire & tenacity are great, but there are other times where he tends to be a loose cannon to which the message he is trying to get across to his players is lost in the noise.

As I said in the original post, Nebraska fans can take a loss, but what we want to see from the team is a competitive effort and a willing drive to never quit. We also want to see our coaches have the ability to make necessary changes on the fly both during game time and at the half.

I'm not calling for pink slips yet, but I also am not in disagreement with others who say the coaches should at least now consider themselves on the hot seat.

I'm on this mental train as well. Now, we have to look Bo and honestly say that as the days go by, he is getting (are at very least, acting) calmer and calmer. Things like the joke he played on the team, trying to get them to relax. He even said in the post game presser he wished the guys would have some more fun playing. As I slept on this game a second night, I'm getting the thought that maybe he has identified this problem and is dealing with it, but that it's gonna take a little time to correct. Case in point, the older players are so used to the uptightness and fire that they just seem a little tight yet. Proof? Taylor Martinez. He comes right out as the same old Taylor. Overthrowin open receivers on the opening drive and such. He just seemed like a deer-in-the-headlights on the bigger stage again. It's just a deal where I wonder if the older guys are just too far gone to be loosened up, you know? I re-watched the game twice now, and I saw glimpses of brilliance in that first half on defense. I really did. I'm not nearly as doom and gloom as I was saturday and even yesterday. But there are still some major MAJOR psychological issues that need to be addressed. And it cant be this offseason, it has to be now.

Composure: the state or feeling of being calm and in control of oneself........

If your head coach doesn't have this, then it trickles down to the rest of the team. Seen too many times the wheels come off when the going gets tough. He has the mentality of a D coordinator, not a head coach. Nothing I like seeing more than when a team goes in a 14-0 slump and the coach is clapping and encouraging players to get it going. Does he always have to be a hoo-ray guy? Absolutely not, but this is one of the problems he hasnt changed since arrival. Even at the Wyoming game he was giving fans the ol' get out of here waive. UNREAL to me