Yahoo article about Bo's comments

bdubb75

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--nebraska-s-bo-pelini-should-not-be-dismissed-as-result-of-leaked-audio-rant--232503407.html

This part hit me in the gut:

"Here's guessing they won't under almost anyone. Nebraska has wonderful tradition, fans and institutional support but it sits in a remote state with cold weather and few local recruits. It isn't a recipe for sustained greatness."

http://sports.yahoo....-232503407.html

This part hit me in the gut:

"Here's guessing they won't under almost anyone. Nebraska has wonderful tradition, fans and institutional support but it sits in a remote state with cold weather and few local recruits. It isn't a recipe for sustained greatness."

yet, we've sustained that greatness longer than, and very close to more than, any program in the country up until 2000. I know there's the argument that that doesnt matter now 13 years later, yet it does. The spins are gonna be thick today folks after all this new yesterday. I hope everyone has their thick skin on today. It's gonna get a little testy I feel.

I think the comment that I highlighted is more referring to moving forward. The parity that exists these days makes it much harder for teams to dominate if they're playing by the rules as we did for like 40 years. We haven't really been relevant since 1999 or so unless you're counting the national championship game we backed into. Either way, I'm hopeful for our future and I'm hoping Bo is the guy but I don't think the light at the end of the tunnel is nearing just yet.

That senitment is what I meant in my "We may never recover thread." I don't know if we'll achieve greatness again. But of course I wrote my thread with a little too much gloom and sap and got slammed for it. I'm actually glad that many in Husker nation are more optimistic than I am, but this is my fear.

What the future holds no one knows, but it will definitely be harder for Nebraska to sustain a high level of excellence in the future. The playing field is leveled out. Heck it is harder for every team to remain dominate for very long.

Look at Oklahoma, still a good team, but kind of an also ran right now. Not too long ago they struck fear into a lot of teams. I don't think they do right now. They don't play intimidating defense anymore. The same can be said for Texas, VaTech, any big ten team, USC.

It is all a big cycle. Right now Alabama is on top in five years who knows.

Nebraska needs to be able to maintain that 9-10 win level every year and then when the planets align or a great QB comes along they will probably be top dog again for a few years.

We need to get these blow out losses under control or this is not going to happen.

• Fire 1

Right now I am listening to sharp and benning on the radio and they are hammering Bo. Sharp is saying he has never thought that Bo was a good fit here in Nebraska. Has he always been a Bo hater or is something that he is just starting to make known?

Bo is set to be on the BIG radio show today. I am curious if he shows up. I am hoping that the University comes out and makes an official comment soon. We ned this to be done (university release) before game day. The players need to focus on game day.....

Minnesota used to win championships. They used to be a football power. Today they're the definition of irrelevant. Could happen here, too.

I don't understand the fear. we are basically irrelevant anyway now, but does that matter? That stadium fills up every home game and Lincoln is booming on Saturdays. The culture of Nebraska football is so much bigger than being a top 10 football team. sure its a great standard to have and its what i believe we should strive for but get your foundation built first.

Look around. Wisconsin has a real nice football program, hired a new coach too that seems to be pretty good. They've had 2 shutouts this year :) Look at Michigan. Brady Hoke was not a big name before he was hired. Are those states ideal for recruiting? Boise State has even had very good teams recently. why would anyone go to Idaho?

My point is, everyone says it's not that we lost, its the way we lost (blowouts, look ugly, seem overmatched, etc) Doesn't Bo's actions resonate with anyone that he doesn't share our Nebraska values / way of doing things and there might be a link? I understand the context and that this was two years ago but the Nebraska brand is much bigger than this coach. We can certainly find another coach, pay him 3 Million per year and expect him to be civil towards the media, fans, players, boosters etc. it may get tiresome, but it comes with the territory.