Martinez held out of practice with turf toe

Ric Flair

Not bad? That's an understatement.

Most folks want a dual threat QB.

Martinez is also in position to record 9,000 career passing yards and 3,000 rushing yards, needing 2,409 passing yards and 142 rushing yards to reach those figures. If he would accomplish that feat he would join Colin Kaepernick as the only players in FBS history to reach the 9,000/3,000 career mark.

Martinez is already just the 12th player in FBS history to pass for 6,000 yards and rush for 2,500 yards in a career.

Martinez is not a dual threat QB. His running has been subpar for the last 3 years and his passing has always been suspect. He just doesn't have it. No matter what the stats say.

LOL REALLY!? HAHAHHAHA

Not bad? That's an understatement.

Most folks want a dual threat QB.

Martinez is also in position to record 9,000 career passing yards and 3,000 rushing yards, needing 2,409 passing yards and 142 rushing yards to reach those figures. If he would accomplish that feat he would join Colin Kaepernick as the only players in FBS history to reach the 9,000/3,000 career mark.

Martinez is already just the 12th player in FBS history to pass for 6,000 yards and rush for 2,500 yards in a career.

Martinez is not a dual threat QB. His running has been subpar for the last 3 years and his passing has always been suspect. He just doesn't have it. No matter what the stats say.

LOL REALLY!? HAHAHHAHA

Yes. Really. He can't elude people consistently, he consistently runs into the open arms of defensive players and worst of all he stands up right before he's about to get hit most of the time. And that doesn't even take into consideration his poor decision making.

Just so we can all better understand, this is sub par?

Rushing for 1,000 yards is sub par, too?

Martinez doesn't have the best open field moves, can't run the option that well and yes... looks a little silly when he gets hit sometimes, almost as if he is coached to go rigid and just let the defense take him to the ground. But he's no slouch, and saying he is makes no sense.

• Fire 2

Part of me is going to be sad to see Taylor graduate.

Part of me is going to be glad to see an end to this ridiculous bashing of one of our best, most dedicated players.

Who are you people going to bitch at next year when he's gone? Armstrong or Stanton? Or do you just pick the statistically best player we have and nitpick his every move?

• Fire 3

The negative issue with Martinez really has nothing to do with his skill or talent. He's got talent. The issue is as a quarterback within this system, there is a definite realiability on his ability to run the football. Even the thread of him running opens up so many options. Without that threat, like we saw at the end of 2010 or even against UCLA to an extent, he really becomes a one trick pony. And his throwing ability alone becomes somewhat of a liability.

• Fire 1

The negative issue with Martinez really has nothing to do with his skill or talent. He's got talent. The issue is as a quarterback within this system, there is a definite realiability on his ability to run the football. Even the thread of him running opens up so many options. Without that threat, like we saw at the end of 2010 or even against UCLA to an extent, he really becomes a one trick pony. And his throwing ability alone becomes somewhat of a liability.

This ^ all the way.

I love what Taylor has done for this program......i am a diehard Taylor fan, but his greatest asset is his legs...if his turf-toe is limiting him, you have to let the guys behind them get their shot this week. If TA can make a name for himself, why not let a QB competition ensue. I am game for it. We know TA has a hell of an arm, but is he accurate!? I can't say he is a better thrower than Martinez right now, but I know TA can use his legs. If TA is a better thrower and is serviceable at running the FB (looked good against Southern Miss), I would think that would allow Beck to possibly run some plays that he hasn't been able to as of late with TMart being injured. However, I am all for the "get good at a certain set of plays/formations" instead of being multiple, as Beck was alluding to.

Lastly, from an intangible standpoint, I have this feeling TA brings an attitude with him that could spark this offense. The offense needs a spark and BAD. They sure as hell didn't have one in the 2nd half against UCLA and that didn't help the defense any....

Just so we can all better understand, this is sub par?

Rushing for 1,000 yards is sub par, too?

Martinez doesn't have the best open field moves, can't run the option that well and yes... looks a little silly when he gets hit sometimes, almost as if he is coached to go rigid and just let the defense take him to the ground. But he's no slouch, and saying he is makes no sense.

Yeah, the leading active rusher in the NCAA is poor at running the ball. Why is that so hard to understand?

I just cant help but think we're heading for a changing of the guard here at quarterback. Something similar to what we saw in '92 with Frazier and Grant. I know, Taylor is much better than Grant was, and Armstrong is obviously no Frazier (yet?). But if Tommy comes out saturday and lights it up, and the guys respond to him, and the offense shows a strong rythm and fluidity, it's gonna be impossible to ignore, regardless of Taylor's health. Then, Taylor comes back, the offense struggles some, it's really gonna be tough to not change directions.

I'm not pushing for either way. Just laying out a big of spec. as to what could very well happen. Also, I'll add that listening to Beck Tuesday night after practice talk about Taylor, he said they trust Taylor to tell them when he was ready to play, but that he also has to be responsible and unselfish as well, because this is about the team. There was a bit of-(what's the proper word here?, anger? Anger's probably too strong. You know what I mean) in Beck's voice. I just have this feeling like there's more to this.

But I hope Taylor gets healthy, comes back, lights it up, wins something of substance, so he can go out like he truly deserves.

Part of me is going to be sad to see Taylor graduate.

Part of me is going to be glad to see an end to this ridiculous bashing of one of our best, most dedicated players.

Who are you people going to bitch at next year when he's gone? Armstrong or Stanton? Or do you just pick the statistically best player we have and nitpick his every move?

You'll still be here Knappic...we'll just nitpick you...or are you going pro next year? Heh..heh...I kid, I kid.

We do seem to have the tendency to hate what we love.

I just cant help but think we're heading for a changing of the guard here at quarterback. Something similar to what we saw in '92 with Frazier and Grant. I know, Taylor is much better than Grant was, and Armstrong is obviously no Frazier (yet?). But if Tommy comes out saturday and lights it up, and the guys respond to him, and the offense shows a strong rythm and fluidity, it's gonna be impossible to ignore, regardless of Taylor's health. Then, Taylor comes back, the offense struggles some, it's really gonna be tough to not change directions.

I can imagine a conservative game plan that doesn't count on Armstrong to make a bunch of big plays if he gets the start, thus preventing any major QB controversies.

Looking back at highlights for the UCLA game. Not sure how UCLA didn't get a penalty when a UCLA player put his helmet right on Martinez' face mask in the 1st quarter. Then they call a penalty on C.Cooper for his face mask touching the QB first. aren't most tackles started with the face mask touching the other player?

Looking back at highlights for the UCLA game. Not sure how UCLA didn't get a penalty when a UCLA player put his helmet right on Martinez' face mask in the 1st quarter. Then they call a penalty on C.Cooper for his face mask touching the QB first. aren't most tackles started with the face mask touching the other player?

Unfortunately we are at a stage where ALL personal foul penalties need to be reviewed and reversible. Those are much too hard to call in real time due to the speed of the game. The current rule is targeting is an ejection, which can be overturned upon review but not the penalty. Anyone else think that is stupid, given the huge growth in protective penalties?