OK sure, I'll be the first....

NUpolo8

Tommy A had a very good game (not great but solid)!

He gives us different options that we don't have with TM but yes, this was with a FCS team not a Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State team.

He did a lot of really good things especially his touch passes and ability to move laterally as well as in a straight line and this is always harder to defend than someone who has to get to the corner and have a straight line to run in (Majority of times less the Wisconsin CCG 1 run).

TA missed some easy over the middle passes to the tight end and elected to make a more difficult pass but that will come with time (looking at different options rather than fixing on one).

I will say from my perspective, I think TM is should still start but at any time, he should feel the pressure of the guy right behind him. If he is not putting us in good positions or has some issues on the field, sub him out and let him start to feel that he is not a lock to be the QB at Nebraska. I believe that is part of the problem we have had in the past as since the time he has been here, he has not had to feel like he had to prove himself or he would be on the bench. I think last Saturday could be the start of him now seeing that if he doesn’t perform, he can be yanked in favor of someone who brings in his own abilities to lead this team. Leadership can take many forms and TA passed the first test. Doesn't make him the second coming of Tommy Frazier but he adds enough to the game that makes the opposition take an extra few seconds to determine what they need to do and we have been missing that and it has made us predictable to defense's.

All in all; if I was Bo, I would work TA hard this next few weeks and make sure TM was aware that the start was not a gimmie and that we will do whatever gives us the best chance to win out! (PERIOD).

GBR

Did Tommy Armstrong make one bad decision whatsoever?

I recall just one. It was the play following his deep ball to Kenny Bell in the North endzone when Bell couldnt hold on and had the wind knocked out of him as well. The next play, Armstrong tried to attack deep once more and badly overthrew Turner, but, had it not been overthrown as much, it wouldve been picked, so maybe that was a good decision (throwing it away, pattern wasnt there?). Who knows. All I do know, it all his reads were correct. He made the right throws. Put the ball where his outstanding receivers could make the play, and showed moxy and attitude in the pass game. He didnt hesitate in the pocket whatsoever. He made a read and decision, and the ball came out. It's pretty much impossible for me to not be on the Armstrong train at this point.

• Fire 2

Sorry Suh fan, but I cannot understand how anybody would think Ron Kellogg should start over Taylor Martinez or Tommy Armstrong in a spread OPTION offense. He runs slower than molasses in January.

TA threw off his back foot and broadcasted his throws. RKIII did not. TA had too much loft in his throws as well...RKIII did not.

But he was making touch throws and dropping them into a zone where his receivers can make the play. The deep throws to kenny bell, one shouldve been held on to, the other was broken up on a tremendous play by their cover guy. RKIII, that touchdown to Wullenwaber was incredible though. A 30 yard line shot with 100% accuracy. That was pretty.

I recall just one. It was the play following his deep ball to Kenny Bell in the North endzone when Bell couldnt hold on and had the wind knocked out of him as well. The next play, Armstrong tried to attack deep once more and badly overthrew Turner, but, had it not been overthrown as much, it wouldve been picked, so maybe that was a good decision (throwing it away, pattern wasnt there?). Who knows. All I do know, it all his reads were correct. He made the right throws. Put the ball where his outstanding receivers could make the play, and showed moxy and attitude in the pass game. He didnt hesitate in the pocket whatsoever. He made a read and decision, and the ball came out. It's pretty much impossible for me to not be on the Armstrong train at this point.

Me too. ALL ABOARD!

Sorry Suh fan, but I cannot understand how anybody would think Ron Kellogg should start over Taylor Martinez or Tommy Armstrong in a spread OPTION offense. He runs slower than molasses in January.

TA threw off his back foot and broadcasted his throws. RKIII did not. TA had too much loft in his throws as well...RKIII did not.

But he was making touch throws and dropping them into a zone where his receivers can make the play. The deep throws to kenny bell, one shouldve been held on to, the other was broken up on a tremendous play by their cover guy. RKIII, that touchdown to Wullenwaber was incredible though. A 30 yard line shot with 100% accuracy. That was pretty.

I thought RKIII best throw was to a streaking Wullenwaber. He hit him in stride & hitting a kid in stride with that kinda speed is hard to do.

I thought RKIII best throw was to a streaking Wullenwaber. He hit him in stride & hitting a kid in stride with that kinda speed is hard to do.

That's the one I'm speaking of.

Martinez, without question.* He's far from a natural or pretty thrower but what exactly are we complaining about? His 66% completion rate? Or his 9/1 TD/INT ratio? He's got the experience, he's the senior captain, for crying outloud.

I'm glad that Armstrong looked so good, but good lord, put it in perspective. That was a BAD FCS defense. I read that they ranked 100something in the FCS in pass defense. That's FCS schools only. It'd have been appalling if we didn't shred them. Armstrong made some pretty throws and is clearly a natural running the option, but he's our quarterback for next year, end of story.

*Assuming TMart is legitimately at 100% or at least close it enough it makes no matter.

Armstrong played a great game against an overmatched opponent. It was about as good or even a little better as Martinez' first game against Western Kentucky. Both were Redshirt Freshmen, both played against very weak competition.

Martinez ran for a 46 yard TD the first time he ever carried the ball. Ended the day with 127 yards rushing (led the team) and two TDs. Went 9/15/0 passing with 136 yards and no TDs.

Armstrong ran for ran for 38 yards, and threw for 169 yards on 12/15 passing, and threw for a TD (I thought he threw two TDs? Stats say otherwise)

Both had good first games. Let's hope Armstrong continues developing and gets better every day (day by day!). I have a lot more confidence in our backup situation now than I did two weeks ago.

Rewatching the game confirmed what I posted yesterday: Our OLine did a great job against an over-matched defense. There was very little pressure on either of our QBs. They had time and room to let the routes develop and delivered accurate and on-time throws. That's not taking anything away from how well they played but it wasn't much more than 7-on-7 drills for them.

Mr. Accountability;

I would not count this as "BAD" decision but he elected to throw the more difficult passes when he did have a few (wide open) tight end passes over the middle. This is just because he is young and he will get much better in this as time goes by. If you have not re-watched the game yet, watch our tight end on about 3 or 4 plays come (very open). Again, it was nothing that cost us anything today, but in a Big time game we need him to see and hit those as it could make the difference in an outcome. The throw you are talking about in your post I thought he made a great decision to put it out of play rather than forcing it!

TA is going to be an outstanding leader for this team and I would have liked to see him in there during the UCLA game just to see if his abilities would have caused UCLA to think a little more rather than to react to what has become (predictable)!

Are we really hammering Armstrong's throwing in comparison to RKIII? TA went 12-15 and two of those were dropped touchdown passes. And yes, he may not have thrown darts like RKIII, but TA's pass to Burtch in the end zone needed to be lofted anyways in order to give the receiver time to get under it and make a play.

RKIII is probably the better passer, but TA brings more to the table athletically.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong with either at this point. I selfishly would like to see TA because he's the shiny new toy everybody is excited about, but both guys proved they can move the offense and score, even if it was against weak competition. That's better than the alternative of being inable to move the ball against weak competition.

• Fire 1

Are we really hammering Armstrong's throwing in comparison to RKIII? TA went 12-15 and two of those were dropped touchdown passes. And yes, he may not have thrown darts like RKIII, but TA's pass to Burtch in the end zone needed to be lofted anyways in order to give the receiver time to get under it and make a play.

RKIII is probably the better passer, but TA brings more to the table athletically.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong with either at this point. I selfishly would like to see TA because he's the shiny new toy everybody is excited about, but both guys proved they can move the offense and score, even if it was against weak competition. That's better than the alternative of being inable to move the ball against weak competition.

Yeah, we're just HAMMMERING THE PISS OUT OF IT with our observations of him throwing off his back foot a few times showing he's human and needs to work on something. :sarcasm

If your only reason for posting is my verbage, wouldn't you be better served putting your head back in the sand where it so often is?

Sure, TA has some things to work on, but he threw just as well as RKIII statistically speaking (including two dropped TD passes) and brings more to the table athletically. Whatever mechanical differences exist between the two are moot.