Any of you football heads want to explain 2 gap scheme?

Axl_sued_me

Having coached 2 gap, if your players read the keys correctly it can be a great defense. However if you read wrong it usually means you will have a huge hole and/or your LB will be put on an island. To put the scheme in simple words. The Lineman reads the back and plugs the hole, the LB then attacks the open area and shuts the RB down at the line. If done correctly the D-linemen can draw to O-Linemen towards him giving the LB a clear path to the back.

Some 2 gaps schemes have the DL read the near offensive linemans initial step- tech

Different coaches have different tweaks to it. Thing I always hated about it was that I found that it was very easy fir the D to fall apart if someone missed an assignment. Though to be fair I was a much better O coach than D and spent my time mostly working with O and kickers. So I am no expert by any stretch.

• Fire 1

we are playing a defense with personnel we dont have.

We play a 2 gap with 4 d linemen (it does not have to be a 3-4). The 2 gap technique offers better drops from LBs, frees up the backside backer for pass drops, and they shuffle instead of running through runfits. HOWEVER, it creates small gaps the RBs can run through because DL cannot get off their even blocks. This also slows down pass rush. Rushing a whole man as opposed to half man leaves you with bullrush or kleko moves. I have not seen anyone Kleko. Rushing half a man is when you see gregory in a speed stance and speed rush. Right now him and Moss are the only ones they allow to do that. Every now and then you will see them let the inside guys do it. For the most part they are lined up in 2's (head up on the guards) and play 2 gap.

• Fire 1
http://brophyfootbal...ont_15.html?m=1

http://brophyfootbal...pinner.html?m=1

http://brophyfootbal...m_3892.html?m=1

Read these. Will give you a better idea of what Bo's philosophy and scheme really are. The generalization of the 2gap is just a thrown around term to try to explain the defensive trouble. Read these blogs, then go back and watch some film from games from last year and even this year now, and you'll see it's clearly obvious it's not a scheme issue but that guys are simply not doing what theyre supposed to or making plays Trust me. These exact write up were pretty elightening to me too.

After you read all that and understand the idea, then watch the videos. All these great examples show one major thing in common. Glenn Dorsey and Ndamunkong Suh making phenomenal individual plays.

I get the scheme, I know football. All an offense has to do is confuse the defenders with presnap motion and shifting forcing them into several check calls. Get them in Philly and then run the safety off with a flag route and a hitch or out underneath. This opens up the middle to run against as their is no safety to face and leaves one LB in a position to make the play. This is where Pelini says they aren't making plays. LB vs quick RB in space is advantage offense to the tune of 15 yards minimum.

Unless you have Ndamunkong Suh or Glenn Dorsey to throw his defender off in 2 tech 2 gap and make a play at the line of scrimmage. Which he does not.

Here is where they are thinking of gap responsibility fits instead now, letting them rush a gap. This takes freedom away from the LBs, but could make them play faster. What it does do is make the secondary carry even more weight.

• Fire 1

Wouldn't it be better to play 1 gap and get our linemen into the backfield to disrupt the play, block passes, etc? 2 gap sounds like too much guessing to me and relies on linebackers too much. It also doesn't sound like a good way to generate a pass rush. Do most teams use 2 gap or what?

You could, yes, but if the backs get by those DL's, and the OL's have gotten to the LB's (which is what some of them are trying to do), then you get gashed.

We ran this in high school out of a 44. We didnt really call it 2gap, but that's what it was. The 4down's job was to gobble up all the blockers and let the LB's run free. We'd even have our DT's on a consistent basis just submarine the guard and center on trap plays. Read a pull, and just dive for legs. Create a pile. Guard cant get around, center cant block down. Total mayhem. If you got caught shooting a gap, you were on the bench. That program has one of if not the best defense in c-1 year after year after year. They consistently have multiple linebackers in the top 10 in the state in tackles. I played 12 years ago. Last year they only allowed 2 touchdowns the entire regular season. It's just the deal that it has to be executed right. Bo and Pap are at a loss for words right now because they dont understand why they cant get the guys to execute it in games. Something tells me they perform it well in practice.

• Fire 1

It's just the deal that it has to be executed right. Bo and Pap are at a loss for words right now because they dont understand why they cant get the guys to execute it in games. Something tells me they perform it well in practice.

Agreed. After Pelini's post game presser, this is what I think he was indicating as well.
  • Fire 1

so what the hell is the reason for the D line lining up a yard off the line?...sounds like read and react tactic as opposed to attack? is there any other college team that gives up a yard on defense.

It's like conceding a whole yard before the ball is snapped. Who else runs a 2 gap?

First and 7 considering they do it for 3 plays.

It is done primarily when the defense is expecting a pass play when the extra yard gives some momentum to a DT pass rush to help collapse the pocket.

• Fire 1

There are pluses and minuses to any scheme. For example if you want to see the shortcomings of one gap defense go back and watch Penn St get slashed by NU back in (82?). The trend in those days was that just as the offense runs plays so shall the defense. The problem with this is that while it works awesomely some times, at other times two of your guys are taking themselves out of the play. Papuchis is coaching an NFL style defense and challenging the players to rise up. 2- gap technique is basic fundamental football and used by many successful coaches. I think it never hurts to be situationally aware and sneak a blitz now and then.

• Fire 1