NCAA announces easing of sanctions against Penn State

knapplc

I'm glad to see this happening for Bill O'Brien and for that entire university after what they went through. The real perpetrators here are either no longer there or in jail. I say good on the NCAA in this case.

Both USC and Ohio State had all the affected people off the team before sanctions were levied.

I'm glad to see this happening for Bill O'Brien and for that entire university after what they went through. The real perpetrators here are either no longer there or in jail. I say good on the NCAA in this case.

Both USC and Ohio State had all the affected people off the team before sanctions were levied.

Yes and no. Ohio State still has a couple guys on the team from that whole mess (Jordan Hall and Corey Brown). If only they had the last name Manziel, this wouldn't have been a problem in the first place. Before him players were looked down upon for cashing in on their celebrity status, but now Manziel has made the media rethink this position. Its funny how things change in such a short period of time.

Yes and no. Ohio State still has a couple guys on the team from that whole mess (Jordan Hall and Corey Brown). If only they had the last name Manziel, this wouldn't have been a problem in the first place. Before him players were looked down upon for cashing in on their celebrity status, but now Manziel has made the media rethink this position. Its funny how things change in such a short period of time.

Well I mean cash is cash, but tattoos are just thuggish.

:sarcasm

Well I mean cash is cash, but tattoos are just thuggish.

:sarcasm

The moral of the story is not to self report.

A&M and Auburn? deny, deny, deny

PSU PAYS for the Freeh Report to understand the problems inside the University and the NCAA uses it to hammer them.

The guys in tattoo gate were Tressel, Herron, Posey, Adams, Thomas, and Pryor.....and the funny thing was they were trying to sell gold for tattoos, so it wasn't even just celebrity status

Edited by Coqui

The guys in tattoo gate were Tressel, Herron, Posey, Adams, Thomas, and Pryor.....and the funny thing was they were trying to sell gold for tattoos, so it wasn't even just celebrity status

You're right. Jordan Hall and others were suspended for taking money at a charity event in Akron.

The PSU case is sui generis. It had nothing to do with football players. I doubt we'll see many more scandals that are comparable.

Couldn't agree more. This was a justice system matter at it's core and unlike anything college football has ever seen before.

True, but it had everything to do with football coaches. Do you think this would have been covered up if a history professor at the school performed the crimes? The administration and coaches covered it up and allowed it to go on because it was the football program. The NCAA allowed the athletes, the ones that had nothing to do with the crimes, to transfer to any other school without sitting out a year. Those who stayed knew the punishment and the incoming recruiting classes are not blind to the fact as well.

Minority voice here. My thoughts was way too strict for the original NCAA sanctions. Paid $60M "fine", reduce football scholarships, vacating of all victories from 2000-2011, 5 years post-season ban and some more......whoa! Keep in mind, only ONE sicko man who is a FORMER staff. Also I believe Freeh's report stretched the truth. And Poor JoePa.........probably still alive if no Penn State fiasco.

In summary, I'm glad to ease sanctions against Penn State.

Minority voice here. My thoughts was way too strict for the original NCAA sanctions. Paid $60M "fine", reduce football scholarships, vacating of all victories from 2000-2011, 5 years post-season ban and some more......whoa! Keep in mind, only ONE sicko man who is a FORMER staff. Also I believe Freeh's report stretched the truth. And Poor JoePa.........probably still alive if no Penn State fiasco.

In summary, I'm glad to ease sanctions against Penn State.

I am with you. I was never a PSU fan but respected Joe Pa and PSU for doing things the right way and graduating kids with real degrees. I thought the sanctions were a rush to judgment based on the Freeh report which did not interview the KEY players involved. I also believe Joe Pa reported the abuse up stream and the abuse was investigated by police, children services who dismissed it. Now maybe the PSU prez and AD should have done more in hindsight and we should find out more during their trials.