Martinez v. Armstrong

Too difficult to be messing with team chemistry, timing, and the rhythm you have established all season long just to change it up in the big game.

I agree with this, and we need to call Tim Beck and tell him to stop messing around with Kellogg every third or fourth series. I think Kellogg needs playing time, but wait until the second half when the game isn't in doubt. If Kellogg hasn't beaten Armstrong out for the starting job that's too bad. That's what the competition in practice is for.

Do you folks feel we can win out with no TM at QB?

Possible, but highly unlikely. That stretch from Northwestern to Penn State has two losses written all over it without Martinez.

Let's not be so quick to write off TA. As far as him panicking, I did not see that at all. I see a kid who was probably TOO confident, and thought he could take anything he wanted in the passing game regardless of whether it was there or not. TA looks to me far better than TM ever did in the pocket, at least on a consistent basis.

Prior two games, I thought TA was clearly better than RK III. However, the fact that we have gotten some excellent (at times) QB play out of both of them is nothing but a positive overall. I also don't see it harming us to continue to rotate QBs between the two of them, though in the tougher games we may need to stick with the hot hand a bit more.

Enunwa dropped 3 passes straight up. One was a diving attempt for a TD. I'll give him a break here, but it's still a catch he makes more times than not. Then, he also dropped that real pretty ball right over his shoulder on that sick scramble by TA. Then the 3rd one was on a slant, hit him right in the hands, though it was behind him, and was intercepted. One less pick, 2 touchdowns, and a 58-7 instead of a 44-7 win, and the perception and outlook is way completely different on this game and the near future, all based on 3 drops.

Are we playing the what-if game? It is my favorite!

What if Tommy Armstrong throws a ball into quadruple coverage, and instead of Kenny Bell making a stupid no-look one-handed catch for a 40-yard touchdown, it is intercepted like it easily would have been?

Even with your hypotheticals, TA would have had have only had a 50% completion rate and two horrendous interceptions against Purdue, the 83rd best passing defense in FBS.

We don't know whether the WRs even ran the correct routes on some of those bad miss throws. Like I said, I think Tommy was a bit too confident (e.g. arrogant) on a couple of the throws due to such weak coverage the prior two games. Lack of experience is all.

As far as one handed catches, i don't see what is so hard. While I may have been a bit too slow and small in my playing days, one thing that came easy to me was catching anything that came my way. Honestly any WR prone to bad drops just baffles me, and I think we should see more "spectacular" one-handed grabs than we do, given the athletic ability WRs have these days. Plus you can't even tattoo a guy anymore as punishment for going up high over the middle.

If the offensive line continues the way it is, then yes. Our offense has looked fairly smooth with the two backup quarterback system.

Agreed. Not just because the pass protection is there when we need it, but even greater is that if the pass game is not going well, we got one hell of a running game going right now. The hogs are getting it done up front and I think we could lean on that running game at any time. It could be key in the future against tougher opposition.

Knapp I do agree about the backup situation. Somebody has to be the standout in practice. We are asking a lot right now of the offense with this rotation. Each player has completely different skills and we do some different things to accommodate each. When the competition level rises, it could be beneficial to establish a rhythm with one or the other, even though both are bound to make a mistake that will have people screaming for one over the other. Ups and downs are going to be part of the learning process and it could be more beneficial as far as the future goes to stick with TA.

I'll have to echo similar thoughts - possible, but very unlikely. The two B1G teams we've played so far rank in the bottom quarter of just about every significant defensive statistic in the B1G. Purdue very well may go down with one of the worst scoring defenses in the country.

I've argued this in other threads - TM is turnover prone and people don't necessarily like the way he leads the offense. But, the important thing to consider, and I don't think it can be stressed enough, is experience. Knowing how to throw a ball in certain situation, knowing when/where, knowing you've been in a situation before and what you did to get out of it. Leading this team on several comebacks last year and making big plays in the process.

Just to cover my butt - I like TA and RKIII a lot, and love TA's potential, but I personally believe what TM brings to the table is more valuable and useful than what TA does at this point. Given a healthy TM, of course.

No. We will have to be able to win out in a shooting match. with three of those teams. Taylor gives us the best chance with his feet, then the other two do. The turnovers against a weak Purdue team, won't hold up against the teams in front of us. Taylor can even up those type of mistakes with his experience and his ability to take it to the house, on any given play,that the other two can't. We don't run the table without him, and probably even with him, its a stretch to think we can. No matter how you want to spin it. jmo GBR!!!

Taylor is needed for Northwesern hands down. Armstrong can play against the Gophers. MSUs defense would likely shake TA, so play Taylor and get a good lead and maybe let TA finish the game so he knows what to expect from them next season. UM and PSU are also Taylor games. If we can get tthrough that stretch start the kid for Iowa and let Magic heal up for CCG.

Let's not be so quick to write off TA. As far as him panicking, I did not see that at all. I see a kid who was probably TOO confident, and thought he could take anything he wanted in the passing game regardless of whether it was there or not. TA looks to me far better than TM ever did in the pocket, at least on a consistent basis.

Prior two games, I thought TA was clearly better than RK III. However, the fact that we have gotten some excellent (at times) QB play out of both of them is nothing but a positive overall. I also don't see it harming us to continue to rotate QBs between the two of them, though in the tougher games we may need to stick with the hot hand a bit more.

I don't think anyone is writing Tommy off at this point. One rugged game isn't going to end the Armstrong hype machine - we can all see the guy has some pretty special skills. That Option 180 turn-on-a-dime play alone was something we haven't seen here in... forever. That was one of the best plays I've seen in a long time and made me laugh out loud for the sheer brilliance of it.

I think what people are looking at is the fact that he's a Redshirt Freshman, and no matter how many highlights he churns out like that, there's going to be a number of mistakes. When we get into the meat of the schedule in November those freshman mistakes are going to be amplified. It's a concern. We already saw what could happen to a redshirt freshman when things go south back in 2010.

Armstrong had 1 game where he threw multiple INT's and it did not cost us the game. I am okay with his learning curve right now.

Martinez has 7 of those games and we are 3-4. Just for comparison purposes.

Purdue, Ohio State, Michigan State, UCLA, Michigan, Oklahoma...

One of these is not like the others.

I've seen it mentioned somewhere that Taylor may have surgery on the toe, ending his season. Do you guys think there's any possibility of a medical redshirt? If so, does Taylor use it? If he does, does he use it at Nebraska?

I think he had to play in less than 20% of our games and he's over that so probably not.

I've seen sites that say 20 and 30%. If we play in the big ten championship that is 21%. No way they deny 21% of games if its that close to 20%

Armstrong had 1 game where he threw multiple INT's and it did not cost us the game. I am okay with his learning curve right now.

Martinez has 7 of those games and we are 3-4. Just for comparison purposes.

Purdue, Ohio State, Michigan State, UCLA, Michigan, Oklahoma...

One of these is not like the others.

You forgot Fresno St and South Dakota St on be half of Taylor.

I wasn't knocking Martinez. He is a good QB. I just think with Armstrong's throwing abilities, he will be better at adjusting and making better throws.