Martinez v. Armstrong

I just hope TM plays this weekend if not start in it to get back in the role again. Purdue is the perfect opponent for him to get some reps in to see where he is. If he doesn't look so good then just put in TA which I prefer to start to get the offense going.

I actually completely disagree although I see where you are coming from. I think if Taylor were to play in this game and re- aggravate the injury, you would really have some people questioning why he was in there at all. I think this schedule has set up perfectly to allow Taylor to heal and also give some valuable reps to TA. At this point, why risk reinjuring Taylor in a game where I truly feel he is not needed.

I just hope TM plays this weekend if not start in it to get back in the role again. Purdue is the perfect opponent for him to get some reps in to see where he is. If he doesn't look so good then just put in TA which I prefer to start to get the offense going.

I actually completely disagree although I see where you are coming from. I think if Taylor were to play in this game and re- aggravate the injury, you would really have some people questioning why he was in there at all. I think this schedule has set up perfectly to allow Taylor to heal and also give some valuable reps to TA. At this point, why risk reinjuring Taylor in a game where I truly feel he is not needed.

I agree with the...disagreeing :P Armstrong is capable enough, and so is Kellogg. It's also beneficial for Armstrong to get the first road game under his belt. Taylor can return healthy and still have 6 regular season games to play, plus a bowl game (7) and a possible CCG (8). It's the beefy part of the schedule. And it's kind of funny that by missing 3 games, he still would start 10-11 games this year :nanalama < banana on pickle >

I'd rather sit Martinez until Michigan (sit for @Purdue, Bye, @Minnesota & home against Northwestern). That would be two months for the foot to heal. If it doesn't heal by then it may not heal the rest of the year.

Ideally you'd like to have him get a game in to knock off some rust before the biggest road game of the year, but the last thing we need is another Rex 2012 situation where he comes in for a game, or a half, then sits another game because he aggravated it.

If it doesn't heal all year, sit him all year. Send him off with his gazillian team records and our thanks and wish him well in the Draft.

I'd rather sit Martinez until Michigan (sit for @Purdue, Bye, @Minnesota & home against Northwestern). That would be two months for the foot to heal. If it doesn't heal by then it may not heal the rest of the year.

Ideally you'd like to have him get a game in to knock off some rust before the biggest road game of the year, but the last thing we need is another Rex 2012 situation where he comes in for a game, or a half, then sits another game because he aggravated it.

If it doesn't heal all year, sit him all year. Send him off with his gazillian team records and our thanks and wish him well in the Draft.

Interesting. Especially when including Northwestern. Hey do you think us Husker fans will have some over reacting or questioning thoughts crossing our minds when Taylor returns? Specifically if he has some moments where he might not tuck the ball and take off like he was always capable of? I just wonder if the injury will be in the back of our minds too whenever he appears partially limited and not so explosive. Darn turf toe.....

I can't really pinpoint what makes this offense look a lot better when TA is running the show. Maybe it is the calm demeanor of how he handles pressure and doesn't get spooked.

I can...it's called "everyone jump on the bandwagon" and I've also seen it referred to as "the grass is greener on the other side" syndrome.

Either way, everyone forgets just what a baller TMart is...and they forget that Abdullah fumbled and lost just as many as Taylor did last year...no one is calling for Ameer to be benched for fumbling. As for INT's...Taylor's been much improved this year on staying in the pocket and throwing to the right person...more so than any other year. Get him healthy and play him.

In all due respect, it is a Martinez v Armstrong topic. If you feel strongly about Ameer's fumbles, that could be a different topic too. But the bottom line, hopefully, is that we all want the best guy out there each week, and healthy too. We all want nothing more than Husker wins to celebrate. Be it Taylor or Armstrong, we are in a solid situation. The guys did their job and did it well. Congrats on there performance.

Interesting. Especially when including Northwestern. Hey do you think us Husker fans will have some over reacting or questioning thoughts crossing our minds when Taylor returns? Specifically if he has some moments where he might not tuck the ball and take off like he was always capable of? I just wonder if the injury will be in the back of our minds too whenever he appears partially limited and not so explosive. Darn turf toe.....

RE: Northwestern - I think that'll be a really tough game, but I don't think we'll have too much trouble scoring on them. It's stopping their offense that worries me, and frankly, our defense may not be up to the task. If it's a question of outscoring them, unless Martinez is 100% it's not going to do us any good to put him out there. Or, not any more good than running Redshirt Frosh Armstrong.

I can't really pinpoint what makes this offense look a lot better when TA is running the show. Maybe it is the calm demeanor of how he handles pressure and doesn't get spooked.

I can...it's called "everyone jump on the bandwagon" and I've also seen it referred to as "the grass is greener on the other side" syndrome.

Either way, everyone forgets just what a baller TMart is...and they forget that Abdullah fumbled and lost just as many as Taylor did last year...no one is calling for Ameer to be benched for fumbling. As for INT's...Taylor's been much improved this year on staying in the pocket and throwing to the right person...more so than any other year. Get him healthy and play him.

IIRC Abdullah fumbled 8 times last year, Martinez 16. I could be mistaken, though.

That said, I agree with the bolded.

In all due respect, it is a Martinez v Armstrong topic. If you feel strongly about Ameer's fumbles, that could be a different topic too. But the bottom line, hopefully, is that we all want the best guy out there each week, and healthy too. We all want nothing more than Husker wins to celebrate. Be it Taylor or Armstrong, we are in a solid situation. The guys did their job and did it well. Congrats on there performance.

Wtih all due respect, I still made that about Martinez...I'm saying that everyone forgets how much good he's done and that other players contribute to the fumble total the team has.

Ok gotcha. Which is correct. That is true.

RE: Northwestern - I think that'll be a really tough game, but I don't think we'll have too much trouble scoring on them. It's stopping their offense that worries me, and frankly, our defense may not be up to the task. If it's a question of outscoring them, unless Martinez is 100% it's not going to do us any good to put him out there. Or, not any more good than running Redshirt Frosh Armstrong.

I agree with all that you said, 100%. You know what, the first time Northwestern came to Lincoln was the only game I missed in maybe the last 10 years. I always recall you mentioning that it was one of Taylor's best passing performances up to that point. In spite of the unfortunate loss. You painted a good picture and describe his performance well. Man I just wish I saw that game. Let's just hope that whoever is out there, they are fully healthy, fearless and ready to go.

I feel this late into the season (Nebraska sits at 4-1 right now) that both players may be running the QB position the way Tommy Armstrong took some shots in the Nebraska-Illinois game. I watched that game again last night off a recording.

Both quarterbacks run a lot of zone-read plays whether Taylor Martinez runs straight bootleg runs or Armstrong runs the option plays -- and they'll both take their fair share of lumps as well.

Only thing is, they'll need to have a wide receiver selflessly assist in this on the sideline by helping to warm up the quarterback that isn't in the game at the time before shifting QBs in and out. Taylor probably won't be able to go the entire game with his turf toe / ankle difficulties, and Tommy Armstrong will receive the brunt of a brutal late-season Big Ten schedule that features the hardest hitting teams in the country in the likes of Michigan and Michigan State.

To me, it seems like we keep shifting the topic around about who should sit and who should start -- when the more realistic answer may very well be that the two talented quarterbacks are going to need each other before it's all said and done when Nebraska reaches the Big Ten championship game. The regular season will be a grind.

Ok. so why the hell dont we dial it down like that for Martinez, because the fact of the matter is that these last two games-regardless of competition-the offense has been as consistently efficient as it's ever been in the Bo Peline era. Outside of Idaho St in 2012, I cant think of a single game since Bo has been here where the offense marched up and down the field from start to finish and as efficiently as it has the last two game. If this is a result of a game plan that gives Tommy (and Ron) easy throws start to finish, then I ask, why in the hell are we not doing that with Taylor. This is stupid. Overcomplication on the offense. And here's that "jack of all trades, master of none" that True alludes too.

I don't know if it was ever explicitly stated by the coaches but I got the impression from Beck's comments after UCLA that they were going to dial the offense back, even if Martinez was still playing. Martinez getting hurt at the same time was more of a coincidence. I get the impression that the offense will still be scaled back to some extent when (if?) Martinez comes back, although there might be more than TA is getting right now - which only makes sense, not a knock on TA.

Something for the "condensed playbook" skeptics:

Know what was really smart? That Beck designed a game plan in Nebraska's 39-19 victory against Illinois that gave quarterback Tommy Armstrong easy throws from start to finish. Most of them off play-action. All of them provided Armstrong — who usually threw on his toes without following through with his lead foot — an open option down the middle or to his strong, right side.

If Armstrong threw left the entire game, my amateur review of the game didn't see it. If he did, it had to have been by a few feet at best. And the two biggest option plays — pitches to Ameer Abdullah — were both to Armstrong's right, too.

After rewatching the win, I think it's time to be a little more realistic about Armstrong's play. He's gifted, sturdy — and still a redshirt freshman.

OWH McKewon Article

Ok. so why the hell dont we dial it down like that for Martinez, because the fact of the matter is that these last two games-regardless of competition-the offense has been as consistently efficient as it's ever been in the Bo Peline era. Outside of Idaho St in 2012, I cant think of a single game since Bo has been here where the offense marched up and down the field from start to finish and as efficiently as it has the last two game. If this is a result of a game plan that gives Tommy (and Ron) easy throws start to finish, then I ask, why in the hell are we not doing that with Taylor. This is stupid. Overcomplication on the offense. And here's that "jack of all trades, master of none" that True alludes too.

You nailed it. Absolutely nailed it. I agree if this simplifying ismthe case, why habe we not considered it before for Taylor. Lets nit pretend we havent seen Taylor struggle with executing the offense as well. On another note though, I also have questioned the validity of this "dumbing it down" claim. Now, maybe we have practiced fewer plays with more repitition, sure. I've been praying we do that for years now. Kudos to Beck for finally picking up on that. Still though, when I watch some of the plays TA is executing, to me aside from the option, they look quite similar to the same plays we ask TM to execute. Difference is, TA is executing. The thing I don't think people want to admit is that TA has the timing down most importantly, but even almost equally as important is that he is quicker at recognizing coverages and finding the holes In defenses. The kid has got it. Period.

Here's my problem with what imseeingkn the board lately and no I'm not going to get in any big long debate about this with anyone, it's just an observation. I feel that some are trying to diminish what TA is doing in a way to kind of elevate Taylor or to make him seem more relevant. Fact is, TM is very relevant, we don't need to diminish how great TA has looked to prove that TM is still very important to this team. Please go back and read my comments about Taylor. I basically just state the fact that we need to acknowledge the two as quite different but both masters of their own craft. While TA I think is the better qb in the long run, both mentally and mechanically, I still say you wont find anyone who at the height of their health mastered the zone read like Taylor Martinez did. Let's not diminish what he has done, let's acknowledge that though not great at everything, he was absolutely thrilling at some things. There's a reason he's going into our record books, and there's nothing wrong with giving both guys credit for what they do well at this point.

• Fire 1