Martinez v. Armstrong

Armstrong had problems making correct read on Zone Read and was very amped on a few simple throws.

Still he is a great option.

I really only saw one bad read that I can recall, but it was for a bad loss also. I think Armstrong is the future for now, but if they play T-Mart then so be it as long as they remember TA if things go awry.

Taylor has made numerous bad reads on the read option, that's why they canned it, lol.

I'm loving what Tommy Armstrong is showing us so far, but I don't think it's enough to unseat a healthy Martinez. Armstrong hasn't faced adversity in a game yet, and we know that Martinez has the ability to rise to the occasion it tight spots, even if he is mistake prone at other times.

Going back to Martinez's freshman year, even as bright as his future looked, he still had a number of freshman jitters that cost us, and almost any freshman starter can expect the same growing pains. I would still prefer to have Martinez in those situations when we get to the tough stretch of our schedule, assuming he is healthy enough to be out there.

It's not even close. Martinez is much, much better. People have a short memory. The major limitation have been due to injury and/or play calling/coaching (asking him to be conservative). I would hate to defend NU's offense if Martinez is truly healthy. The only argument is getting Armstrong experience.

• Fire 2

Dagerow, I think you fail to remember another past. I'm referring to the Nebraska teams of old led by Turner Gill, Tommie Frazier, Steve Taylor, Mickey Joseph, Scott Frost, and McCathorne Clayton. Those option quarterbacks -- ran 4.5 40 with great lateral speed -- were lethal by breaking tackles enroute to a 60 yard run in the same way that Taylor Martinez could use "Deion Sanders" type speed to get those same yards on a single play.

You are referring to the very recent past. T-Mart can thread the needle when he's on with his passing game. I'm not denying that fact, but the 1980s and 1990s were a sight to behold. I remember it all too well. Nebraska was a hobby back then for me and many of my friends from down here in the South to check out the great Cornhusker state on Saturday afternoons.

The 1983 Scoring Explosion featured a guy with Taylor Martinez' break-away speed. His name was Irving Fryar...and if you doubt Fryar's prowress, then just ask Missouri fans, players, and coaches who were a part of the 1983 Mizzou squad. I remember Fryar's catch and run that saved Nebraska's bacon in a 14-10 slim win over the Tigers that kept Nebraska's regular season mark unblemished.

Fryar was bad.

Both quarterbacks for the current team have their strengths. I like Tommy Armstrong's cadence. He seems really safe with the football and uses a lot of ball security to assist his game. Taylor Martinez can thread the needle with a polished passing attack, but you worry about the turnovers with T-Mart....which he's a 5th year senior which means he'll probably clean all of that up this year.

Armstrong runs like a running back. I've seen him knock linebackers to the ground after making the option pitch. He's a difference maker.

It's a good problem to have. It sounds like w'll need both QBs this year. It's a long season. I have always been a Georgian for Nebraska, but I just watched (after the Nebraska game on ESPNU) Georgia (my Alma Mater) have about four knee injuries to four different starters on offense after barely surviving Tennessee, 34-31. Attrition can cause you to reach to your depth in a hurry. I know.

• Fire 1

Experience/knowledge of the offense is clearly a Martinez advantage. TA can't even sniff TM in this regard. Also, a completely healthy TM is a threat to take it to the house with his speed, more-so than a TA.

My only qualm, of course, is TM's injury. If he can't run the football effectively you take away arguably the most significant contribution he has to a game.

Both. Taylor's explosiveness is a weapon that needs to be used if he's 100%.

But Armstrong does too many things right to waste away on the bench. I think it was pretty clear he pulled away from Kellogg today. He's probably not that far behind Taylor. And he's ahead of Taylor in many areas. Which is exciting since he's still a freshman.

I want the quarterback who converts third downs and who isn't among the NCAA leaders in turnovers.

Nebraska's 3rd down conversion percentage prior to SDSU was 44%. Last year's rate was 43%. The percentage has been better these last two games, but if you exclude the outliers (the bad performance against UCLA and SDSU, a FCS school) the 3rd down conversion rates have been virtually identical in the other three games.

The offense's conversion rate under Martinez is fine.

I can't really pinpoint what makes this offense look a lot better when TA is running the show. Maybe it is the calm demeanor of how he handles pressure and doesn't get spooked.

TM piloted several comebacks last year - he's a very calm and focused quarterback.

In a way, you're right though. When TA has the ball in his hands, I'm not nervous nor do I feel like a turnover is coming. TM, despite being a really good QB for us IMHO, doesn't exert that same kind of confidence in me.

I can't really pinpoint what makes this offense look a lot better when TA is running the show. Maybe it is the calm demeanor of how he handles pressure and doesn't get spooked.

TM piloted several comebacks last year - he's a very calm and focused quarterback.

In a way, you're right though. When TA has the ball in his hands, I'm not nervous nor do I feel like a turnover is coming. TM, despite being a really good QB for us IMHO, doesn't exert that same kind of confidence in me.

ta definitely looks more like a qb and looks more poised in the pocket. just like you said, there is less fear of an incoming mistake with ta back there.

but to the other point, we had those comebacks that t-mart looked so good in because our offense stalled and wasted entire first halves. if the offense is in rhythm and clicking to start the game, there is no need for a comeback. i think t-mart has a ton of confidence, which is good. but i am not sure i would say he is 'poised'.

Taylor is our leader that's it, but I don't know if I want him the starter against teams with potent offenses for example Northwestern. If we continue to have the 3 and outs TM is so used to having things will get ugly because Northwesterns offense is going to let our defense have it. We need drives that take huge chunks off the clock and keep teams with great offenses on the bench.