Coaches Salaries

I just saw that manager Joe Girardi signed a contract extension with the New York Yankees. $20 million for 4 years. Not bad.

It replaces his current three year contract, which paid him $3 million a year.

Or roughly the same salary Bo Pelini has been getting, and less than the upper echelon of college football coaches.

Which would put coaching Nebraska Football for 14 games a year in the same ballpark as managing the most valuable franchise in all of sports for at least 162 games a year.

Obviously the market drives these salaries, and television drives the market, but I'm still having a hard time making those numbers work.

Thoughts?

Our society is messed up with regard to salaries for sports and entertainment. We can't afford to support the truly needy in this country but we pay mega bucks to watch someone individual dribble, hit, catch, kick or run with a ball. Like wise for the movie industry. We pay good bucks to go to a movie to watch someone to pretend to be someone else in a mostly fictional story.

I get that it looks disproportionate but, as somebody else said, HC in CFB is year round and I would imagine takes a much more diverse effort and more time. Not that managing a MLB team would be a piece of cake.... Also, in MLB many teams (maybe not the Yankees) flirt around the .500 mark. A few games above seems to be good enough. A CFB coach at a major school will be fired for being in the .500 to .700 range too often. It's hard to compare salaries like that, they are driven by so many factors other than effort the job requires. If it worked that way, ditch diggers would be some of the highest paid guys around.

Our society is messed up with regard to salaries for sports and entertainment. We can't afford to support the truly needy in this country but we pay mega bucks to watch someone individual dribble, hit, catch, kick or run with a ball. Like wise for the movie industry. We pay good bucks to go to a movie to watch someone to pretend to be someone else in a mostly fictional story.

As long as people keep buying tickets, jerseys etc they are always going to be making this money and some. If people would stop doing so ticket prices, salaries would drop. Don't see that coming anytime soon.

The amount of $ that can be brought in by people who want to be part of something bigger than themselves is why the market is what it is. We all do it when we purchase and support our team. To be the one in charge of that is a world of pressure and worthy of a lot of money. I agree it's at an insane level, but let the revenue fall off after a fan base gets "turned off" and that person is no longer in charge. So from that stand point it's a high risk high reward profession.

A difference would be that MLB teams has to pay the coaches and players. More income/cap is spent on getting high end players. In CFB players aren't getting paid (except for scholarship) so that leaves room to entice better coaches through a higher salary.

Honestly, who cares if salaries are disproportionate anyway. I don't care my coworker is making 1mil a year and I make $30,000. What I do care about is a level playing field that grants me the opportunity to make more if I so wish.

As long as people keep buying tickets, jerseys etc they are always going to be making this money and some. If people would stop doing so ticket prices, salaries would drop. Don't see that coming anytime soon.

Yeah, that's where the discrepency hit me. In terms of people, tickets, jerseys, TV contracts, etc., it would seem the New York Yankees could wildly outspend Nebraska to get the prestitious coach they wanted. But as another poster pointed out, when Alex Rodreiguez is costing you $200 million and Taylor Martinez just costs you a steak dinner, the Huskers have nothing BUT coaches to spend money on.

Yeah, that's where the discrepency hit me. In terms of people, tickets, jerseys, TV contracts, etc., it would seem the New York Yankees could wildly outspend Nebraska to get the prestitious coach they wanted. But as another poster pointed out, when Alex Rodreiguez is costing you $200 million and Taylor Martinez just costs you a steak dinner, the Huskers have nothing BUT coaches to spend money on.

A CFB coach has to perform at a high level for school image and . That image is what helps sell the school to recruits and other students. The better the image, the better the recruits/students, the better the results, and the more potential income the school can get. That in turn is rolled back in other things such as education, facilities, salaries for professors, etc. Which in turn helps school image... You hamper ticket prices and it affects not just the sport but the entire quality of the school. The school is highly dependent on that income for growth.

You have to look a bit deeper into the market to see what is going on that is driving market value.

Except, at a school like Nebraska, the football team pays for EVERY OTHER SPORT COMBINED.

Coaches, players, ball boys, janitors, film techs, lighting tech, announcers, trainers, concessions, building fees, taxes, grounds crews, javelins, shoes, tape, basketball racks, nets, knee pads, soccer goals, grass paint,jackets, plane tickets, weight rooms, surgeries, rehab, recruiting tickets, jerseys etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Get over youself. You want a good team? It takes good coaches. You want good coaches and a university that has good sports, education, students, and spirit? You have to pay the coaches.

Stop it.

Except, at a school like Nebraska, the football team pays for EVERY OTHER SPORT COMBINED.

Coaches, players, ball boys, janitors, film techs, lighting tech, announcers, trainers, concessions, building fees, taxes, grounds crews, javelins, shoes, tape, basketball racks, nets, knee pads, soccer goals, grass paint,jackets, plane tickets, weight rooms, surgeries, rehab, recruiting tickets, jerseys etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Get over youself. You want a good team? It takes good coaches. You want good coaches and a university that has good sports, education, students, and spirit? You have to pay the coaches.

Stop it.

Perhpas he was suggesting that the "messed up" part is how much money and attention we pay to athletes and how little we pay to education and excellence in other fields of endeavor.