Recruiting Concerns

Only one team outside of top 15 recruiting class has won a National Title. Virginia Tech, I believe.

Ever?!

post-19999-best-thumbs-up-gif-ever-great

Yes, ever...haven't checked the old scrolls from 1922 and the recruiting classes of Cal, Cornell, ND, etc.? Know your history.

Last 15-20 years, relevant enough to say that stars do matter. Heck, look at Alabama, they were outside the top 15 until about '06/'07...just before their first title in '09 and dynasty run.

Went back through some of the old recruiting on Rivals and noticed that Nebraska hasn't picked up a 5 star recruit since 2008 and the number of 4 star recruits has dropped pretty significantly since joining the Big Ten (eleven 4 stars in 2011 to four 4 stars in 2014). Cause for concern?

Stars don't matter.

Out of your eleven 4-stars in 2011, 5 never made it here/left shortly after arriving. So call it 6?

2014 - four 4 stars (I'll subtract Monte Harrison because I subtracted Bubba in 2011, so 3). Notable names not in that list:

Demornay Pierson-El

Chris Jones

Josh Kalu

(all above are 3 stars)

Drew Brown (2 star)

Byerson Cockrell (2 star)

Stars are relative, and mostly irrelevant to the discussion. At a point where we are now, with plenty of production, let's judge the classes on output and see where they stand.

Give it two more years to really shape up and let's look at 2011 vs 2014. I'm taking 2014; that was one SOLID class.

When a class is made up of 15 3 star and 2 star kids of course u r gonna have some hits just sayin

I agree with what ur saying we have great talent despite having mostly 3 star guys but we don't get masses of 4 star guys in a big span to really see if rankings do matter. Recruiting services can't get every recruit rated perfectly there are to many kids. So your going to get some steal 3 star kids. But I believe in most cases stars do matter to a certain extent. Like somebody stated before these teams winning the nation championships all have damn near top 5 recruiting classes and 4 stars across the board

Went back through some of the old recruiting on Rivals and noticed that Nebraska hasn't picked up a 5 star recruit since 2008 and the number of 4 star recruits has dropped pretty significantly since joining the Big Ten (eleven 4 stars in 2011 to four 4 stars in 2014). Cause for concern?

Stars don't matter.

Out of your eleven 4-stars in 2011, 5 never made it here/left shortly after arriving. So call it 6?

2014 - four 4 stars (I'll subtract Monte Harrison because I subtracted Bubba in 2011, so 3). Notable names not in that list:

Demornay Pierson-El

Chris Jones

Josh Kalu

(all above are 3 stars)

Drew Brown (2 star)

Stars are relative, and mostly irrelevant to the discussion. At a point where we are now, with plenty of production, let's judge the classes on output and see where they stand.

Give it two more years to really shape up and let's look at 2011 vs 2014. I'm taking 2014; that was one SOLID class.

Stars matter

Texas and Michigan say howdy.

• Fire 1

Stars don't matter.

Demornay Pierson-El

Chris Jones

Josh Kalu

(all above are 3 stars)

Drew Brown (2 star)

Stars matter

Let's be honest stars matter but so does player development because the stars are mostly projections on what the kid COULD become. Tells me they can recruit but can't develop talent.

To win a national title you have to be a great recruiter and Avg in player development or an Avg recruiter but great at player development.

So fat we recruit in the 15-25 range and generally finish around there which tells me we are pretty average at both.

What I'm not saying is we cant get better at one or both

Stars don't matter.

Demornay Pierson-El

Chris Jones

Josh Kalu

(all above are 3 stars)

Drew Brown (2 star)

Stars matter

Let's be honest stars matter but so does player development because the stars are mostly projections on what the kid COULD become. Tells me they can recruit but can't develop talent.

To win a national title you have to be a great recruiter and Avg in player development or an Avg recruiter but great at player development.

So fat we recruit in the 15-25 range and generally finish around there which tells me we are pretty average at both.

What I'm not saying is we cant get better at one or both

Im the type that buys into the notion that if you are great at developing players then the 4-5 star players will find you. None of these highly ranked players think they are finished products and can't become better players with good coaching.

Im the type that buys into the notion that if you are great at developing players then the 4-5 star players will find you. None of these highly ranked players think they are finished products and can't become better players with good coaching.

Excuse me? Are you actually being serious? You, sir, have never talked to a 5* high school athlete. Most of them do.

Excuse me? Are you actually being serious? You, sir, have never talked to a 5* high school athlete. Most of them do.
So even the most arrogant high school kid is gonna be asked if they think they can get better and if they are a finished product and they are gonna answer yes? You sir are delusional.

This might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on Huskerboard.... And that's sayin something!

Why don't they go to Maine and UNK then? I mean they are already as good as they will ever be in their minds right? Heck chill and relax for 3 seasons and go to the NFL where you feel like you should have been after your Jr year of HS because you know you have peaked and can't get better

Why don't they go to Maine and UNK then? I mean they are already as good as they will ever be in their minds right? Heck chill and relax for 3 seasons and go to the NFL where you feel like you should have been after your Jr year of HS because you know you have peaked and can't get better

because no one gives a crap about maine and unk and they'd never be on TV or playing for championships where they can showcase their already nfl-developed talent to everyone...

...if it was about development k-state would be rolling in 5* recruits.

Maybe you need to talk to more 5 star recruits like atbone.