ESPN female announcer?

rawhide

No, she has a horsesh#t point. And I never claimed there was no correlation, only that hers is suspect because her example is a poor one...did you even read my posts? I heard nothing manly about the announcer for our game. I also said correlation does not equal causation. Learn the difference. Until SHE can prove some motive behind this supposed "only manly women are selected to announce" BS, then it's only an opinion, and a very poor one at that.

However, if a lady is going to call games, I would greatly prefer she sound like a lady, and have a somewhat attractive and pleasant speaking voice. It is also a requirement I want and enjoy from male announcers, when it happens.

Okay...so you want your male announcers to "sound like a lady, and have a somewhat attractive and pleasant speaking voice"?

Oh well, as long as you're happy "when 'it' happens". :cop:

No, she has a horsesh#t point. And I never claimed there was no correlation, only that hers is suspect because her example is a poor one...did you even read my posts? I heard nothing manly about the announcer for our game. I also said correlation does not equal causation. Learn the difference. Until SHE can prove some motive behind this supposed "only manly women are selected to announce" BS, then it's only an opinion, and a very poor one at that.

Oh, I am sorry. Apparently I am not allowed to comment on a post? And I'm glad that you are the decider of who has a poor opinion and who has a good opinion. You cannot name one pretty, higher voiced female that is doing PBP. Your posted said that if they only wanted "mannish" female voices in their broadcasts, people like Erin Andrews wouldn't have a job. However, that was nowhere near what Moiraine was saying. She said "It's like they think it's not acceptable to have a feminine woman who's knowledgeable about football calling the games. Apparently the only football-related job a woman is capable of doing is being a sideline reporter who flirts with the players. Or being Condoleeza Rice." ... So who isn't reading the posts? It has nothing to do with sideline people. Name one person female in the booth that doesn't sound more manly than feminine.

• Fire 1

You guys worry way to much about who is announcing games. The big problem is that there really aren't that many good announcers out there. Kevin Kugler is one that is really going to go far. Beth Mowens isn't that bad her partner Joey Galloway is terrible.

I guess I don't worry so much about the tone of the person's voice, I am more concerned about the content of what they are saying.

• Fire 1

Do you think you guys would enjoy a Hannah Storm, Michelle Beadle, Erin Andrews or Sage Steele doing the play by play for a game?

Why or why not, because they're all proven within sports (not play by play specifically) and don't have manly voices. Honest question.

The funny thing is, I don't even know if I would like it. It's kinda hard to get used to a change after having the same thing for so long. And ESPN almost certainly does tests to find out what types of voices audiences like for commentating. But I can still want them to break new ground.

Do you think you guys would enjoy a Hannah Storm, Michelle Beadle, Erin Andrews or Sage Steele doing the play by play for a game?

Why or why not, because they're all proven within sports (not play by play specifically) and don't have manly voices. Honest question.

I would have to hear them do the play by play before I could say for certain if I would enjoy hearing them. But what I will say is Beth Mowins is difficult to listen to. And Joey Galloway doesn't help her in the least. They are an extremely boring tandem.

Beth Mowins is knowledgeable and calls a pretty good game. Joey Galloway is BY FAR the weak link on that crew.

Mowins' gender is irrelevant to her ability to call a game. The two things that matter are 1) her voice, which is all we really get from her during the game aside from that inevitable, stupid in-the-booth shot TV seems to feel the need to do every game, and 2) her knowledge. She seems to know the game as well or better than other play-by-play announcers, so I have little problem with that.

If a person doesn't like her voice, that's a completely valid reason not to like her on a broadcast.

As someone mentioned above, give me Mowins over Ed Cunningham every time. I'd listen to her call 100 games before I'd ever want to listen to that awful crew that called the Fresno State game. That was probably the worst I've heard in a while.

Beth Mowins is knowledgeable and calls a pretty good game. Joey Galloway is BY FAR the weak link on that crew.

Mowins' gender is irrelevant to her ability to call a game. The two things that matter are 1) her voice, which is all we really get from her during the game aside from that inevitable, stupid in-the-booth shot TV seems to feel the need to do every game, and 2) her knowledge. She seems to know the game as well or better than other play-by-play announcers, so I have little problem with that.

If a person doesn't like her voice, that's a completely valid reason not to like her on a broadcast.

As someone mentioned above, give me Mowins over Ed Cunningham every time. I'd listen to her call 100 games before I'd ever want to listen to that awful crew that called the Fresno State game. That was probably the worst I've heard in a while.

For me with regards to Mowins, her voice is boring. She is technically sound in calling the game and her knowledge but she has a Ben Stein voice that I can't listen to. But I would agree with you that I would take the boring Beth over Cunningham any day.

• 1 month later...

Im sick of almost all the espn abc guys and would much rather listen to any other network other than joe buck. I get sick of them replaying a 50/50 play ten times or rail on about how some guy needs ejected for making a hard block. Theyve dam near ruined the game. Go back and watch a 1990's game called by Keith Jackson. Soo much better. And no " the previous play is under review". Ed Cunnungham is still anti husker.

• 2 weeks later...