Halfway through the season

Hunter94

I think they do. The identity is that they can run the ball very effectively. I know Beck wants to pass a lot more than we do, but I just don't think that is our game. He loves the WR screen game, but I don't see us being very consistent at it. At least I haven't seen it yet this year.

I think they do, the problem is and always has been Beck getting out of his own way and the players executing. A lot of times it feels like we do more to hurt ourselves rather than the opposing team just playing really well, whether that's turnovers, dropped passes or strange playcalling on Beck's part.

If Nebraska wants to win games they have to be able run the ball effectively (no matter the opponent) and they can't turn the ball over. Pretty standard for any team really, but it's even more paramount for a team that prides itself on the run. If you can't do your bread and butter, you're up the creek without a paddle.

I think they do, the problem is and always has been Beck getting out of his own way and the players executing. A lot of times it feels like we do more to hurt ourselves rather than the opposing team just playing really well, whether that's turnovers, dropped passes or strange playcalling on Beck's part.

If Nebraska wants to win games they have to be able run the ball effectively (no matter the opponent) and they can't turn the ball over. Pretty standard for any team really, but it's even more paramount for a team that prides itself on the run. If you can't do your bread and butter, you're up the creek without a paddle.

It does seem like this year, more than any other in the last few years...we've started to form an offensive identity. And maybe because Beck has paired down the playbook for Armstrong - but it used to just seem like they were all over the place. The last few games things felt a lot cleaner to me.

It does seem like this year, more than any other in the last few years...we've started to form an offensive identity. And maybe because Beck has paired down the playbook for Armstrong - but it used to just seem like they were all over the place. The last few games things felt a lot cleaner to me.

I just hope to see progress where it matters. I'd rather lose close, hard fought games (i.e. Texas Tech in 2008) than get blown out or look lost (this year's UCLA game). It's when adversity strikes where you see how much progress you've really made, and since UCLA we haven't really been hit by adversity.

• Fire 1

I agree with this. When Armstrong is in he is able to take the offense down the field consistently. Of course he is a freshman and did freshman things last game but there were a couple big drops on his throws including a TD by Turner. If he had thrown that TD I think it's a different game for him and we would definitely have a QB controversy on our hands. I just hope that when Tmart plays we continue the whole pared down offensive playbook. With a smaller play book we are obviously able to rep the same plays we will actually run in games. I remember reading that Beck said we didn't even run 75% of the plays we did in practice during the UCLA game. This is a ridiculous statement. I hate when Beck tries to get too cute, I understand we need to keep the defense on their toes but why go away from what works. I would love to see more play action and more of the diamond formation.

Our defense has improved a ton over the past few weeks. I know our opponents haven't been the best but we are actually tackling and lining up right. These things are obvious even against lesser competition. We are starting to truly figure out our personal and our identity. We know that we need to bring pressure and show different looks to be successful. I just hope that we don't take a step back this game and continue with what we have been doing.

Half way through the season I get a sense of desparation..not with the progress of the team, but more with the realizion that is it half way over. Seems like the wait for the season to start lasts 30 or 40 months..but the season seems to pass in a few quick weeks.

Also, I think as mellow as I've become, around mid season these last few years a get a bit of a twinge in my gut when I realize we aren't the Huskers of my younger days.

My prediction for the second half of the season is no more blow out losses. We may not field the best team some days, but I do truly think the players on defense are closer to "getting it" and the blow outs will stop.

My prediction for the second half of the season is no more blow out losses. We may not field the best team some days, but I do truly think the players on defense are closer to "getting it" and the blow outs will stop.

I agree w/ this, mainly because until Ohio State there isn't a team good enough to blow us out. Michigan/Northwestern/Penn State are as bad as they've been in the last 3-4 years. MSU can't score enough to blow anyone out. Iowa is Iowa, though I think this will be a very tough game for us this year. They'll usually play us close, and they're better than an average Iowa team this year I think.

I'm really shocked at how this season has turned out for the B1G. A month ago I said it was likely we would only play 1 team in the regular season that finishes in the top 25. That's looking like a very real possibility. I didn't think so many would be out of the top 25 by week 8 though. By season end, there might not be a ranked team on that schedule (especially if we win out), considering UCLA still has the gauntlet of their schedule to crawl through.

Hey, one more victory to qualify bowl eligibility. What's the easiest win for remaining schedule? Iowa or Minnesota?

Don't we need two more? I don't think SDSU counts.

SDSU counts - it only doesn't count if you play two FCS schools; you only get one of them. If I remember correctly.

• Fire 1

If becoming bowl eligible needs to be discussed............I'm at a loss for words.

At this point, if we don't make the CCG, the season will have been a complete failure. The door is wide open.

I can see us losing one more with that loss coming to Penn St or possibly Michigan. Neither one would be because the other team is "better" or even "good" but likely the result of an off week for the Huskers. I think we'll have a brain fart game at some point, it's just hard to identify which game it will be. Northwestern, MSU, and Iowa are all pretty pathetic. There's a couple decent defenses in there but I have no concerns about our O outscoring any B1G D that also has a lousy offense.

I might be nipping the Kool-Aid again but even tOSU looks very beatable at this point. If we can stay out of our own way, we could easily win out, at least up to the bowl game.