Nebraska vs. Texas vs. USC

NUance

There seems to be a lot of anxiety about hiring a new coach. People think we wouldn't be able to bring in a big name or the right guy, etc.

But the fact is, we don't have a lot of experience in doing this. Look at the history:

Devany is AD and picks his OC.

Osborne is allowed to handpick his successor

Steve Pederson is somehow god-like at Pittsburgh and then goes full retard and hires the first guy who says yes.

Osborne interviewed 3 known people I believe. Only 2 had a real shot and he went with the coach from the side of the ball that our team was struggling with at the time.

Nobody really knows what Eichorst is about or what his connections are. He might just be the guy to get the ship corrected. He has worked with a lot of influential people in the college football ranks. He may know the right things to say to get the right person here.

Was Eichorst the guy who hired Al Golden at Miami? If he was then I have faith in his ability to pick a quality coach, because in all honesty Golden has turn the program back around down there

There seems to be a lot of anxiety about hiring a new coach. People think we wouldn't be able to bring in a big name or the right guy, etc.

But the fact is, we don't have a lot of experience in doing this. Look at the history:

Steve Pederson is somehow god-like at Pittsburgh and then goes full retard and hires the first guy who says yes.

Osborne interviewed 3 known people I believe. Only 2 had a real shot and he went with the coach from the side of the ball that our team was struggling with at the time.

Nobody really knows what Eichorst is about or what his connections are. He might just be the guy to get the ship corrected. He has worked with a lot of influential people in the college football ranks. He may know the right things to say to get the right person here.

Was Eichorst the guy who hired Al Golden at Miami? If he was then I have faith in his ability to pick a quality coach, because in all honesty Golden has turn the program back around down there

I don't believe he hired him but he signed him to a long term deal which right now is paying off.

He also signed the current mens BB coach to a long term deal and that has gone well also.

He had to be able to say the right things to get these 2 coaches to sign extensions when they had no idea what the penalties were going to be.

Who was the second choice after Pelini? I can't remember who else was interviewing back then.

If Nebraska fires BP, there is a lot of directions they can go. I doubt they go big splash coach. That will be what Texas and USC would do. Unless you consider Chris Peterson a big splash coach.

I agree that looking at a coach like Wisky got in Anderson would be a good way to go.

I also don't have a problem with going the coordinator route. When I say this I mean Scott Frost. Frost has a lot of upside and could do great.

We need a Gary Anderson-type hire. A guy who knows football, will get the most out of his team, but isn't on the radar of a USC or Texas.

Yeah, and we need someone with the type of character that the people of Nebraska can get behind. Bo spent a lot of fan-loyalty currency with his sideline tirades and the behind-the-scenes profanity rants. I'm not saying we need to hire a monk. But just someone with a reasonable amount of decorum. And I guess it goes without say that, first and foremost, we need a football guy who can make us competitive again. Because without the recruiting and the wins, all the rest just won't matter.

It seems like we as fans never have a stable opinion about our coaches' sideline behavior.

There were people berating Osborne for being too stoic, and there are people berating Pelini for being to animated. Point is, there will always be people who think that what the coach does on the sideline is incorrect. That he should be either more emotional or more stoic. So I think we have to throw out sideline behavior as a criteria. I'm not saying let's go hire a monk or let's go hire Mark Mangino, I'm saying that most college coaches are going to have some sort of fan perceived sideline behavior problem, so let's not making a hire based on that or even use that as a factor.

Let's hire a coach who is on a team who is struggling now, but who has had tremendous success given the program they were coaching. Let's hire someone who knows the game of football, who knows how to run a staff, and who doesn't constantly blur the lines with what we are trying to be. Let's find a guy who will be proud in creating an identity and sticking to that identity.

Chris Petersen, I don't think he really wants a USC or Texas job, but could just fit with the culture at Nebraska.

If Nebraska fires BP, there is a lot of directions they can go. I doubt they go big splash coach. That will be what Texas and USC would do. Unless you consider Chris Peterson a big splash coach.

I agree that looking at a coach like Wisky got in Anderson would be a good way to go.

I also don't have a problem with going the coordinator route. When I say this I mean Scott Frost. Frost has a lot of upside and could do great.

Frost also has a lot of things people HATED about BP when he was hired here. A large upside typically corresponds with a large downside. I don't want that. I don't think we want another 6 year experiment.

Chris Petersen, I don't think he really wants a USC or Texas job, but could just fit with the culture at Nebraska.

My opinion tells me he's just fine at Boise. He has continued a good legacy there since taking over as HC after Hawkins left. A move to another school is more of a career risk for him than staying put is.

Frost also has a lot of things people HATED about BP when he was hired here. A large upside typically corresponds with a large downside. I don't want that. I don't think we want another 6 year experiment.

Almost any coach you are going to hire is an experiment, just because someone has experience and has been successful at a school doesn't mean they will be at another school. There are dozens of coaches that have had success at one school and move to another and flopped.

The only thing people hate about Frost is that he has no HC experience.

Almost any coach you are going to hire is an experiment, just because someone has experience and has been successful at a school doesn't mean they will be at another school. There are dozens of coaches that have had success at one school and move to another and flopped.

The only thing people hate about Frost is that he has no HC experience.

Yeah, and we've already been down that road.

It seems like every Husker football fan has an opinion right now on who should be the next coach at Nebraska. But really, what coaching candidate is there that would choose Nebraska over USC or Texas? Don't get me wrong. I'm not running down Nebraska. But realistically, both USC and Texas have more money and more resources than we have at Nebraska. Just the advantage in recruiting alone would make it hard for any coach to pick the Huskers over these other two programs. This makes Eichorst's task all the more daunting. That is, IF he is even conducting a search at all right now. I say "IF" because it is a very real possibility that the Huskers are not actively looking right now. Maybe they are trying to fix things--trying to put the wheels back on the wagon. Instead of getting a whole new wagon.

Another factor working against us is our own history. We fired Solich when he was 10-3. That alone would give pause to any top coaching candidate considering the Nebraska job. Thank you Steve Pederson. And remember how Pederson bungled the coaching search? It was a joke. We went after half a dozen coaching candidates back in 2003, Only to be rebuffed each time. When we finally hired Callahan most of Husker nation was glad to have an end to the pain. (Unfortunately, we only thought the pain had ended.)

And that's not to mention the money. If we fire Pelini now we'll end up paying $4.5 million in buyout cash. That's a pretty steep price to pay for any school, let alone a Midwestern land grant university. Have we even paid off the Callahan buyout yet?

All I'm saying is that I hope things don't spiral out of control like they have the past two times we made coaching changes. I hope Eichorst has the wisdom to guide us through this thing into better times. I hope we don't act rashly and dig an even deeper hole for Nebraska football. Because if we don't, things could get worse before they get better.

Solich didn't go 10-3 his last year at NU. It irks me when people give him credit for a 10-3 season when he was fired before NU won the bowl game. Solich had a 9-3 record.