Tunnel Walk of Shame Speaks Out

Landlord

That was a really well written article.

There are plenty of well-written posts right here on HuskerBoard.

A lot of you bastards are pretty funny and know your football, too.

And that's kinda the point of the article. Somewhere between the blue hairs and the drunken tweeters are the majority of Husker fans, who are vastly cooler than the UNL Athletic Department gives us credit for.

I don't know if the author has a personal axe to grind, but he is absolutely correct that creative professionals in Lincoln or Omaha should be handling this work. Given that our football team represents our state -- perhaps overly so -- it goes beyond the limited resources and expertise of the athletic department. We don't have to be Oregon. Frankly it would be a lot more fun to go the other direction and embrace our corn. Whatever Omaha did to become a Mecca for twee indie bands. Except more violent.

Key word is "fun."

Losing is never fun, but somehow it goes beyond our annual four losses. Bo rarely appears to enjoy himself. His players stand lifeless on the sidelines. The fans seem to pick up on that. Then everyone spends the week between games throwing everyone else under the bus. It's a bad look. I wouldn't want to root for Nebraska if I didn't have the choice.

The right coach can change the entire culture. Admittedly this is a bit out-of-the-box but.....Jay Z.

You're welcome, Husker Nation.

• Fire 1

The WWE video editing staff could make Funaki vs Scotty 2 Hotty look like Macho Man vs Steamboat.

Those of you who get that reference likely now know my first love as it pertains to sports.

TOp notch video team, hell yes bring em on.

If we want to appeal to 16 and 17 year old kids, I think that's the answer. Improve the sound system, get a killer video for the big screen and use pyrotechnics and every trick in the book to construct the coolest entrance in college football.

I also favor adding black as a school color and finding a way to incorporate some of it into the uniform. Roll out the all-black for a night game or two each season. Get the very best people Adidas has and that are otherwise available to put together some killer uniforms. Give the current players and even committed recruits some input into those decisions.

And watch as the recruits roll into Lincoln.

• Fire 2

The WWE video editing staff could make Funaki vs Scotty 2 Hotty look like Macho Man vs Steamboat.

Those of you who get that reference likely now know my first love as it pertains to sports.

If we want to appeal to 16 and 17 year old kids, I think that's the answer. Improve the sound system, get a killer video for the big screen and use pyrotechnics and every trick in the book to construct the coolest entrance in college football.

I also favor adding black as a school color and finding a way to incorporate some of it into the uniform. Roll out the all-black for a night game or two each season. Get the very best people Adidas has and that are otherwise available to put together some killer uniforms. Give the current players and even committed recruits some input into those decisions.

Adidas has good people?

Adidas has good people?

I think it has been pretty obvious that the people at Nike are better than the ones at adidas. Adidas makes good apparel but it just doesn't have the appeal to the kids that the Nike name does.

Minnesota handed out towels to everyone Saturday at the game. The crowd all yelled, "first down" when the announcer said, "that's another Minnesota". At first I thought it was lame, but the more I saw the Minny crowd getting into it, I kind of liked it. They played modern music during the breaks and the people danced and had fun.

After going to Husker games for 40+ years, I have to agree that maybe we as a crowd need to do more. I know when I played ball, regardless what some people say, you do hear the crowd and wanted to play harder for them as well as the team, I've never been a big fan of change, tradition wise, but here are a some changes crowd wise that could help.

I'm willing to do my part.

I was just texting a buddy about the Gopher game atmosphere. He drove up from Wyoming for the game and he was saying how he loved the atmosphere and was saying how much more exciting and entertaining it was. I live in MPLS and have seen it on more than one occasion so it was not new to me but still as enjoyable. They've done the towels handout thing a few times, the "first down" thing for years and the music (a la Jump Around at Wiscy) started not too long ago. Hell there have been a couple of times each season that Coach Kill has walked around handing out tons of free tickets. Now the motive may be in question behind that but the accessibility of such a personable guy, handing out free tickets was a HUGE hit. The newest is "Do the Gopher". My buddy didn't quite get into it but even something as corny as that Caddyshack Gopher dance has also been a huge hit with the fan base here. I was also commenting how in between the 3rd and 4th quarter when they do the "Jump Around" thing, the players really get into that too. I have a youtube video from a season ago showing it from the upper level opposite side of the field in a game against Michigan. If I remember right the game was out of reach for the Gophers based on how they were playing that day (they weren't losing big but just couldn't move the ball well against the Wolverines) but during that break, the music blasting, the fans were into it and the players were having a great time. You could tell that even in a loss they were having fun and still really loose.

https://www.youtube....h?v=A8sNcmsAm9w

I have a video with a closer view to give anyone who hasn't seen it a better idea. I can post it later if I find it.

• Fire 2

Minnesota handed out towels to everyone Saturday at the game. The crowd all yelled, "first down" when the announcer said, "that's another Minnesota". At first I thought it was lame, but the more I saw the Minny crowd getting into it, I kind of liked it. They played modern music during the breaks and the people danced and had fun.

After going to Husker games for 40+ years, I have to agree that maybe we as a crowd need to do more. I know when I played ball, regardless what some people say, you do hear the crowd and wanted to play harder for them as well as the team, I've never been a big fan of change, tradition wise, but here are a some changes crowd wise that could help.

I'm willing to do my part.

I was just texting a buddy about the Gopher atmosphere. He drove up from Wyoming for the game and he was saying how he loved the atmosphere and was saying how much more exciting and entertaining it was. I live in MPLS and have seen it on more than one occasion so it was not new to me but still as enjoyable. They've done the towels handout thing a few times, the "first down" thing for years and the music (a la Jump Around at Wiscy) started not too long ago. Hell there have been a couple of times each season that Coach Kill has walked around handing out tons of free tickets. Now the motive may be in question behind that but the accessibility of such a personable guy, handing out free tickets was a HUGE hit. The newest is "Do the Gopher". My buddy didn't quite get into it but even something as corny as that Caddyshack Gopher dance has also been a huge hit with the fan base here. I was also commenting how in between the 3rd and 4th quarter when they do the "Jump Around" thing, the players really get into that too. I have a youtube video from a season ago showing it from the upper level opposite side of the field in a game against Michigan. If I remember right the game was out of reach for the Gophers based on how they were playing that day (they weren't losing big but just couldn't move the ball well against the Wolverines) but during that break, the music blasting, the fans were into it and the players were having a great time. You could tell that even in a loss they were having fun and still really loose.

https://www.youtube....h?v=A8sNcmsAm9w

Man that looked like a blast - thanks for the vid - loved it. Gangnam Style, Let me clear my throat, Zombie Nation! The participation was great. You should send that vid to the Husker media people and AD - stat! I agree that all sporting games are events, for the fans, and should be enjoyable, loud and fun along with the cheering.

Wow, that whole article was right on the money. I love the blue-collar tradition of Nebraska as much as the next fan, but if I'm a high-school athlete and pull up that Oregon football website, I'm headed northwest and never looking back.

I wish the AD/athletic department would read this article. So many little things that could go a long, long way to help the program.

Stuff like that (above referencing to Minnesota's students and having fun) is hard to pull off here.

Why?

Because the fans and the student fans have the same entitlement attitude problem that the players do. Or maybe it's called something different, I don't know. All I know is, past the first 20 rows of the student section, it's tough getting any of those kids to have some senseless, shameless, no-inhibition kind of fun.

Stuff like that (above referencing to Minnesota's students and having fun) is hard to pull off here.

Why?

Because the fans and the student fans have the same entitlement attitude problem that the players do. Or maybe it's called something different, I don't know. All I know is, past the first 20 rows of the student section, it's tough getting any of those kids to have some senseless, shameless, no-inhibition kind of fun.

I absolutely hate the lack of coordination between anything from the AD to the fans or from the student section to the student section. If the atmosphere is going to change, that is one of a few things that must change with it. And it starts on both ends. The AD has to want to coordinate things, and the fans have to be willing to take part.

all this talk about what to do to improve recruiting and no one has suggested we start bidding for recruits like the SEC does?

I have $20 in my pocket, will that help?

Here is the "Do the Gopher" video for this season.

and one from last season:

shoot, just youtube "Do the Gopher" there are some pretty entertaining ones on there...the things people do when they see they are on camera.

Like I said, its fairly ridiculous but clearly fun and all the fans (not just the student section) get into it.