Blackshirts are gone.

So basically...you've got talent out there, but you can't coach them to stop a run game that you couldn't stop last year, haven't figured it out this year, so...let's just add insult to injury at this point.
Ain't it the truth. It is ridiculous for the coaching staff to blame the players, when they can't devise a scheme to stop basic plays.

Just a motivation ploy. However its not like the defense at this point deserves to wear them. AT ALL. Lets not forget what it means to wear those shirts. If they want them back, then earn it.

Actually, historically, pre-Pelini, pre-Callahan, what it meant to wear a blackshirt was that the wearer was first string defense. No more, no less.

Granted, in that time frame, we had many great defenses that played with a nasty disposition. I miss that as much as anyone but, let's not misrepresent what and how they should be awarded and treated. This is exactly what I don't like about the way Bo has chosen to deal with the blackshirts. It's just a punishment because they aren't good enough. It totally ignores the more significant aspect of motivation and working your ass off to earn one.

I made a big pitch prior to this season to get back to doing it the old way. Problem is, even though he handed them out before the season, the whole tradition of it is treated differently by Bo. I'm now of the opinion that, as long as Bo is the boss, they should box them up and forget about them. He's doing more harm than good with them. He needs to first worry about teaching these kids fundementals and get them in the frame of mind to run through walls for him.

exactly, the issue of black shirts is a moot point.

We heard all summer long about the great talent we had recruited, how this year would be Bo's best year, even with the youth, that had no seen the field. Is that talent really there? Is the coaching staff failing to teach them. Do the kids lack motivation. How can you play division one football, and not be motivated to play. How can you have reached this level, been selected by this staff and not know and be proficient in the fundamentals. Nothing changes from the time you start playing football, tackle, block, run, catch and pass. How do they go so bad? These kids have problems, be it motivation, lack of leadership within the team, lack of qualified coaching, something is very wrong. Saturday is D day. We lose that game, we will most likely lose the rest of them. From the insiders, what do you feel is the problem. How can it be fixed? I know you guys are as disappointed as the rest of us, but you seemed to have the answers before, we need them now.
Not an insider. I think on D, it comes down to scheme. Our guys are reacting. The old axiom in a gunfight is action is quicker than reaction. Holds true in football. To much read and react. Not enough see ball get ball, Bo's comment about Suh, Haag, Prince as proof the system works tells me it A) works with someone else's recruits or B) works with top NFL talent When Bo's scheme is repeatedly exploited and he has no answer ie he continues to play his system, we are doomed. Scheme for what you have, not what you want..............
I would add that opposing OCs have also figured out how to beat Bo's scheme, but he is too stubborn to adjust.
So basically...you've got talent out there, but you can't coach them to stop a run game that you couldn't stop last year, haven't figured it out this year, so...let's just add insult to injury at this point.
Ain't it the truth. It is ridiculous for the coaching staff to blame the players, when they can't devise a scheme to stop basic plays.

This years issues are not the same as last years issues.

Yes they are, the staff is here to correct the problems, not blame the kids for failing to execute.

One person has failed to execute, and only one. Time to take the blame for it and figure it out.

There are a couple of specific things with positions (LB & safety) that are being specifically addressed right now.

We are 7 games into the season, a fall practice, and we are just now working on this problem. Seems a little late for a defensive genius to figure it out.

I hope your right, but my guess is we have another ass beating coming this weekend. And will see the same puzzled faces on the staff.

We are 7 games into the season, a fall practice, and we are just now working on this problem. Seems a little late for a defensive genius to figure it out.

I hope your right, but my guess is we have another ass beating coming this weekend. And will see the same puzzled faces on the staff.

Just giving you some info on what we're doing......but if your interest is just to rip Pelini the info doesn't matter anyway.

Please elaborate.

According to Pelini's post game pressers, the issues seem to be substantially identical.

- We just didn't execute.

- The players didn't execute.

- Guys were in position but failed to make the play.

- The scheme works.

These are all recurring offerings of excuses by Bo. How exactly are the issues this year enough different from last year that you felt the need to point it out? The one major difference I will concede is youth and inexperience. But we've seen the same crap regardless of the experience level. I've got a list as long as your arm of what isn't different.

Please elaborate.

According to Pelini's post game pressers, the issues seem to be substantially identical.

- We just didn't execute.

- The players didn't execute.

- Guys were in position but failed to make the play.

- The scheme works.

These are all recurring offerings of excuses by Bo. How exactly are the issues this year enough different from last year that you felt the need to point it out? The one major difference I will concede is youth and inexperience. But we've seen the same crap regardless of the experience level. I've got a list as long as your arm of what isn't different.

Yes, we have been gashed in the running game again, but the reasons are different just as the players are different than last year. At the LB level last season we had Compton at MLB. Knew the scheme well, but struggled to get off blocks and didn't have the speed we have now as options at the LB spot....or spots depending on what defense we're running. Inexperience is our nemesis at LB this year. That's why Minny did so much shifting. Everyone knows we are inexperienced. I linked two articles, one from Jay Foreman and one from Barrett Ruud on another thread. They both give some good insight specific to the linebackers. And as I've written in a couple of threads, we had a LB in the backfield that had more than one opportunity for a TFL and wasn't able to make the play. You might see several plays where you think.....gosh, we should have made that play. We were very close to doing so.....but it didn't happen. Last season was personnel that lacked the athleticism. This season, we have the athleticism, but lack experience.....which is a good teacher.

Just a motivation ploy. However its not like the defense at this point deserves to wear them. AT ALL. Lets not forget what it means to wear those shirts. If they want them back, then earn it.

Understand it's a shot at motivating the guys?? But how many players had them before? If the other 8-9 guys weren't motivated before they had them why would that change now?

Not meant to be directed at you Silent, I just don't understand how he is going to motivate 11 guys to get a blackshirt when it's apparent they could have cared less to begin with.