Kellogg, Armstrong aim to 'light fire' among teammates

http://www.omaha.com/article/20131029/HUSKERS/131039903/1001#notes-kellogg-armstrong-aim-to-light-fire-among-teammates

So in step Kellogg and Armstrong, who are expected to share the workload Saturday. And they plan to bring as much positive energy as possible. To “light a fire” among their teammates or to “pick them up” whenever possible, Kellogg said.

“Whatever I can do — myself and Tommy — to get the team riled up, excited to play and come out to practice,” Kellogg said.

I just want a close team, a (close)-knit community,” Kellogg said. “I just want everybody focused on the job, and that's getting a victory against Northwestern this weekend.”
  • Fire 1

Although I think TA or Kellogg will probably both win us some games simply because they fit Becks pass happy offense, i still think the defense will probably cost us a game maybe two. 35-45 points with TA back there is truly possible with every team on our schedule but Michigan State. The bonus of these guys coming in is that I think it will be clearer where the problem really lies in this team. Though TA and RK might bring new energy into this whole team, Bo's scheme and philosophy will still be in use in defense, and that will always be a problem. It's just that now, we will look squarely at that defense when we lose a game 42-38 since we can't hold it against the offense anymore. The defense has been and will remain the issue. When you can't stop the run, you'll always be in trouble.

On the bright side though, it's only taken this staff a little over half the season to realize that maybe playing a hurt Taylor Martinez was bad for the whole team including Taylor. With the IQ of these coaches, I thought it could vey well have taken them the entire season. Way to go coaches!

Although I think TA or Kellogg will probably both win us some games simply because they fit Becks pass happy offense,

I don't think Beck's offense will be pass happy with TA/RK in there. We'll have a run heavy, play-action identity. Which really suits us. Especially with those guys that can really wing it down field.

Edit, unless of course we fall behind. Then all bets are off, and I think we'll see a lot of Kellogg in those situations.

I'm glad to hear someone is facing a problem squarely in the face and tackling it. One thing I have noticed with Husker teams lately is their lack of excitement. This based only on what I see on tv as I haven't been to a game in several years. i've read some posters here and elsewhere complain that the coaches should be able to lite a fire under the kids and it's Bo's business like approach to the game that limits excitement or that he can't possibly be fun to play for. I don't remember TO being a ball of fire on the sidelines so when his teams showed excitement it was probably the captains or leaders on the team who were pushing it. Now I realize TO always said he didn't want his kids getting too high because it takes away focus and he didn't want to see them fall into a valley if something bad happened. I really want to see the leaders on the team go to a player who has just given great effort to let him know he did great or tell a player who failed to keep his head up because there is more game to be played. I could be completely wrong with these statements as maybe the tv cameras don't show the sidelines often enough. I just want to see every player invested mentally and emotionally in the team and show it and I feel the captains have a major role in making it so.

Although I think TA or Kellogg will probably both win us some games simply because they fit Becks pass happy offense, i still think the defense will probably cost us a game maybe two. 35-45 points with TA back there is truly possible with every team on our schedule but Michigan State. The bonus of these guys coming in is that I think it will be clearer where the problem really lies in this team. Though TA and RK might bring new energy into this whole team, Bo's scheme and philosophy will still be in use in defense, and that will always be a problem. It's just that now, we will look squarely at that defense when we lose a game 42-38 since we can't hold it against the offense anymore. The defense has been and will remain the issue. When you can't stop the run, you'll always be in trouble.

On the bright side though, it's only taken this staff a little over half the season to realize that maybe playing a hurt Taylor Martinez was bad for the whole team including Taylor. With the IQ of these coaches, I thought it could vey well have taken them the entire season. Way to go coaches!

I was astounded when I heard they were going to bench Santos and play Rose in his place....

I jumped for joy at the opportunity for Rose to play the MIKE spot.