Trevor Roach could have been a calming force on defense this year

NUinID

A calming force on defense this year at Mike lb spot. I mean he would have known the defense well and done a better job of getting things lined up. I mean he would have been an option BP would have turned to early.

Edited by knapplc
thread title edited for clarity

S

Nope, would of been another slow linebacker getting beat on the edges.

Yet another person that doesn't understand the linebacker position.

Seriously, and I'm saying that Roach should or shouldn't have played. I don't know. Some of you are just so quick to assume that the walk on is slow to the edge? Really? The Mike linebacker position is not about how fast you can get to the edge. Its about reading your keys and being the QB of the defense. So I will give you the situation

4.7 40, white guy, walk on that makes quick reads and CORRECTLY will still get to the ball, or"edge" in this case, faster than the guy who runs a 4.4 40 and second guesses his read and whether its correct or not.

Does he hesitate? Is he smart enough to play the position. These are the questions you need to be asking.

S

Nope, would of been another slow linebacker getting beat on the edges.

Yet another person that doesn't understand the linebacker position.

Seriously, and I'm saying that Roach should or shouldn't have played. I don't know. Some of you are just so quick to assume that the walk on is slow to the edge? Really? The Mike linebacker position is not about how fast you can get to the edge. Its about reading your keys and being the QB of the defense. So I will give you the situation

4.7 40, white guy, walk on that makes quick reads and CORRECTLY will still get to the ball, or"edge" in this case, faster than the guy who runs a 4.4 40 and second guesses his read and whether its correct or not.

Does he hesitate? Is he smart enough to play the position. These are the questions you need to be asking.

This. Clocking 4.7 versus 4.4 in the 40 says almost nothing about how fast a LB can make a read and cover 10 yards to the ball. Losing Trevor hurt us this year in a position of need.

Aren't you describing Will Compton, good player who made the reads but didn't have the speed to make the play.

Compton was a decent player. Sure it would've helped if he was a step faster. (When wouldn't it?) But I think his build held him back some. I always thought he lacked the wingspan needed to be a great LB.

Roach could have helped with one aspect of the game which is defend the run. You dont need to be very fast to defend power. He would have hurt in pass defense which we ask the Mike to do alot more than most teams. But our backers didnt do much of anything in the MInny game. You have to do something good. Either fill hard or cover. Our LBs did neither of those things last week. Compton wasnt athletic enough to fill the full role of our Mike and he was not too shabby of an athlete. Roach "possibly" could have helped against a team like Minny, but any team that uses quick personnel would have made him ineffective.

Things are getting desperate when we're pining for the return of the high IQ guys.

This fanbase...

Bo wants to play the people who get the defense over the raw athletes.

People bitch. Get the athletes on the field.

Bo puts athletes on the field.

People want the high IQ players back WHO THEY FORCED OUT.

:ahhhhhhhh