Chadron State Scandal

GSG

D-II Football Scandal Was Evil And Brilliant

The NCAA just dropped the hammer on Division II Chadron (Neb.) State, invoking the dreaded "institutional control" clause and handing down major penalties. See? The NCAA's enforcers have done more this year than just screw up the Miami investigation.

This is a legitimate college scandal, a particularly gross one because it was the head coach helping himself on the side. There's a whole bunch of things that went on—an ineligible player, fudged practice hours, impermissible benefits—but the juiciest part was coach Bill O'Boyle funneling fundraiser money to secret bank accounts only he had access to.

(Brett McMurphy wonders when this scheme comes to D-1. I wonder how many D-1 programs are already running it. The plan worked successfully for seven years, and was only uncovered when O'Boyle got too greedy. He took the entire $30,000 raised by a golf fundraiser, and a school administrator wondered where it went.)

NCAA: Can't give a player the football from a game winning TD catch until he graduates.

NCAA: Coach that runs a multi bank account embezzlement scheme that paid himself, family, AND players at one college can keep his job as long as he had the job prior to the official ruling from NCAA.

Seems legit.

Putting aside the NCAA, what was the county attorney doing? This guy should have a lot more on his mind than a show cause order.

I'm a Chadron State alum, and I am disappointed to see all of this going on. I was there pre-Woodhead but I did get to see him play quite a few times. I had a couple classes with O'Boyle and I even drank with him at the bar a few times. He was a really nice guy, and it's just too bad that it all ended up like this. GO EAGLES!!!!

Yeah, I know Bill and his brother pretty well. I've golfed and drank beer with them, etc. Nice guys. Just a dumb move on Bill's part