Chatelain's column - 2003 all over again

np_husker

Because they are no the same regardless of what a poster tries to say to make themselves feel like we are relevant as we were then.

why does nebraska have to be relevant to cheer for them?

Maybe you should ask the 91k people that buy season tickets. They do not do it because they enjoy watching us lose. With your logic we may as well all become Iowa fans and support moral victories.

what exactly is my logic?

i dont see a correlation between relevancy and being a fan. i couldnt care less what others think (relevancy) of the team i cheer for. so why exactly does nebraska need to be relevant to cheer for them?

And why exactly is it not okay to want to see the team better than what they've been?

To me the difference between 03 was we were 2 years removed from the National Title game. How do you panic and pull the plug like that. Pelini's teams have accomplished nothing. 9 wins means nothing today. They play 12-13 games! We've won our division 4 times. Okay great the weak big 12 north with the only real competition being missouri and the Big 10 with michigan state being the big threat....a team that was 0-7 against Nebraska (so not a powerhouse). The best thing Bo has accomplished in 6 years is an almost win over texas in the title game and blanking an average arizona team in the bowl. That was the peak...almost 4 years ago! So there's the big picture.

Here's the microscope. Turnovers...tons of them. Penalties...lots of them. Players admitting they weren't focused in big games. A defense that struggles to tackle. A glaring lack of leadership from players (although we seem to have a few stepping up now). How do you defend all this stuff...year after year?

Again, it was Solich's off the field stuff that got him fired. Had that not been the case I'm pretty sure he would have had another year for sure. Do I think he would have turned things around? Probably not considering who his offensive coordinator was.

I still don't buy that Solich was terminated for off the field problems. In this day and age it's hard to keep stuff a secret and the information is NOT out there...

So you would rather believe that we fired a coach who went 9-3? Which one do you think is more likely? It was a lot easier to keep stuff secret in 2003 than it is now. Pedey may have been a colossal prick, but he is a hell of a guy for not going public with Solich's off the field issues. The subsequent coaching search was a complete f'ing disaster, but I can hardly blame him for getting rid of Frank.

I believe Pederson was a buffoon intent on putting his stamp on the program while being pressured by big boosters to make a change. Every time this is brought up it's all smoke and mirrors. I never even get the details when I inquire. I think it's rumor. All of it. I really do. Call me naive. Whatever. Until I see some facts I have no reason to believe this stuff. The internet existed in 2003 and it wasn't much different back then. If facts were out there 10 years ago it would still be available.

9 wins means nothing today.

An informal poll of 120 D1 athletic directors might not support that statement.

Really? You sniped one sentence from my post....I believe I followed that by pointing out that teams play 12-13 games (meant to post 13-14)...meaning we play more games now as opposed to back in TOs days so 9 wins was a higher win percentage than it is now...

To me the difference between 03 was we were 2 years removed from the National Title game. How do you panic and pull the plug like that. Pelini's teams have accomplished nothing. 9 wins means nothing today. They play 12-13 games! We've won our division 4 times. Okay great the weak big 12 north with the only real competition being missouri and the Big 10 with michigan state being the big threat....a team that was 0-7 against Nebraska (so not a powerhouse). The best thing Bo has accomplished in 6 years is an almost win over texas in the title game and blanking an average arizona team in the bowl. That was the peak...almost 4 years ago! So there's the big picture.

Here's the microscope. Turnovers...tons of them. Penalties...lots of them. Players admitting they weren't focused in big games. A defense that struggles to tackle. A glaring lack of leadership from players (although we seem to have a few stepping up now). How do you defend all this stuff...year after year?

Again, it was Solich's off the field stuff that got him fired. Had that not been the case I'm pretty sure he would have had another year for sure. Do I think he would have turned things around? Probably not considering who his offensive coordinator was.

I still don't buy that Solich was terminated for off the field problems. In this day and age it's hard to keep stuff a secret and the information is NOT out there...

So you would rather believe that we fired a coach who went 9-3? Which one do you think is more likely? It was a lot easier to keep stuff secret in 2003 than it is now. Pedey may have been a colossal prick, but he is a hell of a guy for not going public with Solich's off the field issues. The subsequent coaching search was a complete f'ing disaster, but I can hardly blame him for getting rid of Frank.

I believe Pederson was a buffoon intent on putting his stamp on the program while being pressured by big boosters to make a change. Every time this is brought up it's all smoke and mirrors. I never even get the details when I inquire. I think it's rumor. All of it. I really do. Call me naive. Whatever. Until I see some facts I have no reason to believe this stuff. The internet existed in 2003 and it wasn't much different back then. If facts were out there 10 years ago it would still be available.

My source to what happened is friends with Pedey and Pedey told him the whole story. So I believe it. And when you think about how everything went down, it makes sense.

The location excuse is getting old....EZ-E knows recruiting and he should know that Lincoln, NE has always been located exactly where it is. It is not like we used to have beaches and sunny weather year round before Bo got here. We have ALWAYS recruited nationally. We have also usually held our own in the 500 mile radius. This staff has done a terrible job in that regard. What do you expect when your recruiting coordinator was a solich assistant for so many years though.

Ross Els was a Solich assistant?

Which kids did we miss from within the 500 mile radius that we had legit chances at?

Osborne won his first conference title in year 8

Actually we were conference co-champions i/e we tied for 1st in Osborne's 3rd and 6th year in the Big 8.

By this logic, Bo actually won his division 4 of his first 5 years.

Whoa Q, you just broke the first rule of Huskerboard. Never use the word "logic" when discussing this Husker team. There's f'ing nothing logical about it.

The location excuse is getting old....EZ-E knows recruiting and he should know that Lincoln, NE has always been located exactly where it is. It is not like we used to have beaches and sunny weather year round before Bo got here. We have ALWAYS recruited nationally. We have also usually held our own in the 500 mile radius. This staff has done a terrible job in that regard. What do you expect when your recruiting coordinator was a solich assistant for so many years though.

Ross Els was a Solich assistant?

Which kids did we miss from within the 500 mile radius that we had legit chances at?

He will tell you the long list of names of Nebraska kids we should have offered and all you will do is tell him we didn't have a legit shot with them, which would be complete bullsh#t. So what's the point. I already know your stance on this deal kiddo, so I'm not gonna argue with you, but this team needs more Nebraska kids on it. Why? Because there is talent in this state, and those kids give a f#*k about what they allow to happen out there.

• Fire 1

I don't really disagree with most of the column, the Huskers (the whole program) have recurrent problems, but I feel that Dick Chittlins is a weasel. Sucks up to the fan base whenever he must to keep readership, even though he detests Bo and staff. He plays along till he finds his moment then slips in with the dagger. This article is nothing more than a frantic little scared chihuahua darting out in the open yapping "I told you so, I told you so" when the timing will keep him from taking a whip across his rump. If he was a man about his opinions and not a seaweed dwelling eel he might have my respect. As it is, he does not.

Gads, that might be a bit harsh.

What schools are location a big factor for? Remember, there is more talent in the South and recruits want to be able to have their families come see them play.

So does location affect Alabama? Yeah, but in a positive way.

So does location affect LSU? Yeah, but in a positive way.

So does location affect Florida? Yeah, but in a positive way.

So does location affect Georgia? Yeah, but in a positive way.

So does location affect Tennessee? Yeah, but in a positive way.

The talent that isn't in the South is in California, Ohio, Michigan, and Illinois.

So does location affect Michigan? Yes, but in a positive way.

So does location affect Ohio State? Yes, but in a positive way.

So does location affect UCLA? Yes, but in a positive way.

So does location affect USC? Yes, but in a positive way.

There is way less talent in the states surrounding Nebraska that it makes it harder for schools in the central part of the country to recruit talent. Winning, and winning a lot is going to be the only thing that is going to start making the recruits consider coming to Nebraska more and more.