Sobering Look - how far out of relevance NU has fallen

TGHusker

Im starved for a troph too. But we should have known what to expect with a guy learning on the job. Were almost there. Setbacks have happened. Injuries. League change. Staff change. All under a new coaches wattch trying to learn recruiting at a place with a non fertile recruiting ground. I feel like weve finally settled in, Bo has the gears and cogs set where they need to be. I think a troohy will come to Lincoln next year and the following.

Im sure you were saying that about this season and last season too right?

While I know Dirk isn't a lot of people's favorite sports writer, he addresses the sobering fact that we have accomplished very little since 2001 in comparison to so many other schools.

Mr. Dirk is cherrypicking, and the bolded statement is not true. It only seems that way because the focus is exclusively on the negative statistics and not the positive ones.

No mention of how many other schools have accomplished the 9 win consistency we have.

No mention of how many schools haven't won their division and played for their conference title 3 out of the last 4 years.

No mention of the development and NFL success of the likes of Ndamukong Suh, Prince Amukamara, Alfonzo Dennard, Phillip Dillard, Lavonte David, Jared Crick, Niles Paul, Cody Glenn and others who were nobodies before Bo came around.

I see we picked wins against teams in the top 5 as one of the measuring sticks - why? Top 5 is abritrary, why not Top 6? Probably because we've had a Top 6 win and that doesn't fit the narrative.

These are just a few examples why it's disingenous to not look at the entire picture and body of work in discussing this. It's nothing more than propaganda.

What has winning our division gotten us? Three other schools have had 9 wins or more and they all have atleast 2 conference titles and atleast 1 Bcs apperances, how many does nebraska have? You know this fan base has gotten completely pathetic when they are honestly using DIVISION titles as an arguing point

• Fire 3

How did you come to the conclusions the big 12 is quite a bit better?

Because of Baylor being speculated to jump Ohio State if both win out regardless if OSU beats MSU. Thats how.

That is your indicator of conference strength? ESPN speculates something so it must be true.

• Fire 2

What has winning our division gotten us? Three other schools have had 9 wins or more and they all have atleast 2 conference titles and atleast 1 Bcs apperances, how many does nebraska have? You know this fan base has gotten completely pathetic when they are honestly using DIVISION titles as an arguing point

It has gotten us division titles and appearances in conference championship games.

You know someone is committing a logical fallacy when they accuse you of being pathetic for something you aren't even doing. I'm not using division titles to argue that we are good, or relevant, or that things are hunky dory - I'm not arguing anything. All I am doing is pointing out that Dirk Chatelain, and many of the people on this board, are only looking at half of the picture.

Im starved for a troph too. But we should have known what to expect with a guy learning on the job. Were almost there. Setbacks have happened. Injuries. League change. Staff change. All under a new coaches wattch trying to learn recruiting at a place with a non fertile recruiting ground. I feel like weve finally settled in, Bo has the gears and cogs set where they need to be. I think a troohy will come to Lincoln next year and the following.

Im sure you were saying that about this season and last season too right?

Because dread and pessemism helps so much more.

So its Bo's fault we joined the Big Ten as it fell into a pit of supposed mediocrity?

So... um... if the Big Ten is so mediocre, how come we haven't won it? I don't get your point, to be honest.

I Dont think its mediocre. Thats why I said supposed. Just because the media says its not good means nothing to me. Id say put us up against the Big 12 and we could win most matchups.

I was trying hard to think of any signature wins as well as recruits under Pelini? The Gator Bowl in 09 over Clemson for signature win? Recruiting wise? I'm not even sure. Ameer Abdullah I suppose?

Rangy Gregory, Tommy Armstrong, Terrell Newby, Rex Burkhead, Jordan Westerkamp......

Clemson 08, Ou 09, Mizzou OkieSt 10, OSU MSU PSU 11, Michigan 12

While I know Dirk isn't a lot of people's favorite sports writer, he addresses the sobering fact that we have accomplished very little since 2001 in comparison to so many other schools.

Mr. Dirk is cherrypicking, and the bolded statement is not true. It only seems that way because the focus is exclusively on the negative statistics and not the positive ones.

No mention of how many other schools have accomplished the 9 win consistency we have.

No mention of how many schools haven't won their division and played for their conference title 3 out of the last 4 years.

No mention of the development and NFL success of the likes of Ndamukong Suh, Prince Amukamara, Alfonzo Dennard, Phillip Dillard, Lavonte David, Jared Crick, Niles Paul, Cody Glenn and others who were nobodies before Bo came around.

I see we picked wins against teams in the top 5 as one of the measuring sticks - why? Top 5 is abritrary, why not Top 6? Probably because we've had a Top 6 win and that doesn't fit the narrative.

These are just a few examples why it's disingenous to not look at the entire picture and body of work in discussing this. It's nothing more than propaganda.

What has winning our division gotten us? Three other schools have had 9 wins or more and they all have at least 2 conference titles and atleast 1 Bcs apperances, how many does nebraska have? You know this fan base has gotten completely pathetic when they are honestly using DIVISION titles as an arguing point

True - division titles mean nothing when you are in the weakest division of your conf - whether it be the Big 12 North or our Big 10 division. Bo came to win CC not Div Champ.

It has gotten us division titles and appearances in conference championship games.

You know someone is committing a logical fallacy when they accuse you of being pathetic for something you aren't even doing. I'm not using division titles to argue that we are good, or relevant, or that things are hunky dory - I'm not arguing anything. All I am doing is pointing out that Dirk Chatelain, and many of the people on this board, are only looking at half of the picture.

You also have to look at the divisions we have been in though. The Big XII north was pretty bad and the legends division isnt drastically better. division titles and appearances in conferernce championship games are the same thing. Context is important too.