Sobering Look - how far out of relevance NU has fallen

TGHusker

So its Bo's fault we joined the Big Ten as it fell into a pit of supposed mediocrity?

So... um... if the Big Ten is so mediocre, how come we haven't won it? I don't get your point, to be honest.

I Dont think its mediocre. Thats why I said supposed. Just because the media says its not good means nothing to me. Id say put us up against the Big 12 and we could win most matchups.

This just in... outside of OSU, MSU's defense, and maybe Wisconsin, the Big Ten is very mediocre. Watch the football, it simply is. The drop from the top 3 to the rest of the league is stark.

I'm really starting to think Knapplc is right about Dirk's articles here.

If anyone here says that Bo Pelini's teams haven't won any games of merit, they're lying. There have been plenty of good moments since Bo took over, and from 1999.

The biggest problems here is that Nebraska, a blueblood program, is in the longest title drought it's been in for 50 years and there are not a lot of people who are at all used to that. It's frustrating, foreign and it's going to hit year 15 this year. And there were grumblings before the year started about how the offense and easy schedule should mean a trip to Indy or bust. And, sadly, one of Bo's best moments is a loss by field goal against a team that played for the national title in the CCG. Regardless of the funny business that went on during those last few ticks of the clock.

But above all this is classic Dirk. I don't have the desire to pick through those stats to see what I'm positive are a few of those teams pulling a shocker to get into the top ten, only to disappear the next year, or a lowly team catching lightning in a bottle and surprising an overrated top five team, etc but I'm betting it's more than an outlier.

So its Bo's fault we joined the Big Ten as it fell into a pit of supposed mediocrity?

So... um... if the Big Ten is so mediocre, how come we haven't won it? I don't get your point, to be honest.

I Dont think its mediocre. Thats why I said supposed. Just because the media says its not good means nothing to me. Id say put us up against the Big 12 and we could win most matchups.

This just in... outside of OSU, MSU's defense, and maybe Wisconsin, the Big Ten is very mediocre. Watch the football, it simply is. The drop from the top 3 to the rest of the league is stark.

We'll see it this year, when teams go head to head in their bowl games. Because that's the only way to see which conference is superior. Otherwise, we can define it different ways, and each different definition is going to have a different result. Here are just a few.

Top 25 BCS Rankings

Big Ten: 4 ranked teams

Big XII: 3 ranked teams

ACC: 2 ranked teams

SEC: 7 ranked teams

Pac 12: 4 ranked teams

So, the Big Ten is tied for the 2nd best conference, next to the Pac 12.

Sagarin Average Rankings

Big Ten: 55.92

Big XII: 49.90

ACC: 53.07

SEC: 34.74

Pac 12: 31.67

By this definition, we are the worst conference.

So pick which one you want; whichever one suits the agenda.

If memory serves me correctly the only Top 5 team we've face in the last 6 years is Texas and we lost with 1 second left that was given back incorrectly by the refs in the B12 championship game.

Oklahoma in 2008 (well, Missouri too, technically), but I agree with your sentiment - how are you supposed to have Top 5 wins if you don't play Top 5 teams? Little we can do to help that.

We'll see it this year, when teams go head to head in their bowl games. Because that's the only way to see which conference is superior. Otherwise, we can define it different ways, and each different definition is going to have a different result. Here are just a few.

Top 25 BCS Rankings

Big Ten: 4 ranked teams

Big XII: 3 ranked teams

ACC: 2 ranked teams

SEC: 7 ranked teams

Pac 12: 4 ranked teams

So, the Big Ten is tied for the 2nd best conference, next to the Pac 12.

Sagarin Average Rankings

Big Ten: 55.92

Big XII: 49.90

ACC: 53.07

SEC: 34.74

Pac 12: 31.67

By this definition, we are the worst conference.

So pick which one you want; whichever one suits the agenda.

The Top 25 isn't a 1 to 1 comparison. The Big 12 has two less teams than the Big 10 (and the SEC two more than that).

If memory serves me correctly the only Top 5 team we've face in the last 6 years is Texas and we lost with 1 second left that was given back incorrectly by the refs in the B12 championship game.

Oklahoma in 2008 (well, Missouri too, technically), but I agree with your sentiment - how are you supposed to have Top 5 wins if you don't play Top 5 teams? Little we can do to help that.

Bigger point is that they purposely pick out obscured stats to make a case instead of stepping back and looking at the program as a whole. He tends to discount the accomplishment and give weight to oddities. Or he looks only at NU's history (usually just the NC run) or a small segment of other teams during a narrow window to prove how bad we suck.

People can think what they want with the Pelini situation because in the end, nothing said here is going to affect what happens.

But seriously people, at what point do we stop basing our arguments on Bo staying or going simply on the number 9?

Really, are we that simple minded.....okay not we, clearly I'm not, but reality is some of you are.

Let me give those people some help. Theres more to this game than the number 9. That is all.

• Fire 3

Im still convinced Colt McCoy never scored a TD in that game. He was down flat on his belly when he reached ball across goal line.

That was a tough loss and maybe we deserved to win, but let's put the "incorrect" call to bed once and for all.

You can play it over and over again (I don't recommend it) and you will always see that putting one second back on the clock was in fact the correct call.