Sobering Look - how far out of relevance NU has fallen

TGHusker

This is just more wallowing in self-entitlement. As if Nebraska should be immune to the ebb and flow of college football success.

In the 1980s Oklahoma was winning national titles and kicking Nebraska's butt. Nebraska was winning Big 8 titles and national championships in the 1990s and Oklahoma was on a coach-hiring carousel mired in some of the worst years they've ever had.

It happens. Alabama hasn't always been dominant. USC had little relevance for most of the two decades prior to hiring Pete Carroll. Notre Dame had nearly faded from relevance until a recent resurgence, and now appear headed south again.

Nebraska was on top of college football for 30 years. That is unheard of. It'll happen again, and it may happen in the next couple of years, Bo as coach or someone else. We have some really good, really young players.

For an 'irrelevant' football team, there sure is a lot written about us. Every time I go on to ESPNU there is something on there about Nebraska. Right now we have the top RB in the B1G, we have exciting new players that are getting some attention. When there is no mention of us at all at the national level then I'll consider us 'irrelevant'.

I have kept out of this conversation till now, and I only enter it to ask a couple of questions that have probably been asked 100 times prior, but anyway........I am truly on the fence with this (things went south for me with the tape-recording earlier in the season, sorry, but it did). So when is Bo's time up? Obviously many people feel he deserves more time and has accomplished an adequate amount to keep his position. So if he wins 9-10 games in each of his next 5 seasons, but has no conference titles, has played in no BCS bowls, continues to be outside of the top 15, etc.,etc, etc., will you still support him? How long does he have? Or. again for those people who feel he deserves more time, is it out of fear that the next coach will have similar results that you wish to keep him on? Is staying status quo better than taking a chance on getting better and possibly failing? I just want to know what is the breaking point for the pro-Bo individuals.

I have kept out of this conversation till now, and I only enter it to ask a couple of questions that have probably been asked 100 times prior, but anyway........I am truly on the fence with this (things went south for me with the tape-recording earlier in the season, sorry, but it did). So when is Bo's time up? Obviously many people feel he deserves more time and has accomplished an adequate amount to keep his position. So if he wins 9-10 games in each of his next 5 seasons, but has no conference titles, has played in no BCS bowls, continues to be outside of the top 15, etc.,etc, etc., will you still support him? How long does he have? Or. again for those people who feel he deserves more time, is it out of fear that the next coach will have similar results that you wish to keep him on? Is staying status quo better than taking a chance on getting better and possibly failing? I just want to know what is the breaking point for the pro-Bo individuals.

For me I just want to see progress, and I think we saw a decent amount the first few years but have been pretty stagnant since then.

The wildcard for me is the changing of conference, because of that I'm willing it give him another year to see if we can start seeing progress again, if not time to move on

Firing Solich was a bad decision. A bad decision made by a dumb dude. Problem is, the guy we got afterward absolutely blew it and dragged this program into the depths of hell for a bit. We thought we had our Saviour, myself included in that thought, yet six years later we have not improved on those first couple seasons with him. Actually, the blowouts and mind boggling mistakes have grown worse. Including being one of the worst teams in the country in turnovers multiple years now.

The problem is, Nebraska is not a place that has been through coaching changes like this. The one time most of us were around for it ended up being a huge failure. That failure created a fear that is hard to erase. Most people believe that is how this works. Most think if we do it again, we will go through hell again. Let me tell you folks, that is not how it is supposed to work. Stevey should not have been flying around in a plane begging guys to come here. There should have been a plan. There should have been some reasonable people in mind, with ideas of who their staff would be. There should be an idea of what this team needs so that way you can specify what a coach brings to the table. Right now, IMO, experience is key.....across the board.

• Fire 2

This is just more wallowing in self-entitlement. As if Nebraska should be immune to the ebb and flow of college football success.

In the 1980s Oklahoma was winning national titles and kicking Nebraska's butt. Nebraska was winning Big 8 titles and national championships in the 1990s and Oklahoma was on a coach-hiring carousel mired in some of the worst years they've ever had.

It happens. Alabama hasn't always been dominant. USC had little relevance for most of the two decades prior to hiring Pete Carroll. Notre Dame had nearly faded from relevance until a recent resurgence, and now appear headed south again.

Nebraska was on top of college football for 30 years. That is unheard of. It'll happen again, and it may happen in the next couple of years, Bo as coach or someone else. We have some really good, really young players.

For an 'irrelevant' football team, there sure is a lot written about us. Every time I go on to ESPNU there is something on there about Nebraska. Right now we have the top RB in the B1G, we have exciting new players that are getting some attention. When there is no mention of us at all at the national level then I'll consider us 'irrelevant'.

ESPN loves mentioning us now, because we are irrelevant. That's what makes them smile.

Firing Solich was a bad decision. A bad decision made by a dumb dude. Problem is, the guy we got afterward absolutely blew it and dragged this program into the depths of hell for a bit. We thought we had our Saviour, myself included in that thought, yet six years later we have not improved on those first couple seasons with him. Actually, the blowouts and mind boggling mistakes have grown worse. Including being one of the worst teams in the country in turnovers multiple years now.

The problem is, Nebraska is not a place that has been through coaching changes like this. The one time most of us were around for it ended up being a huge failure. That failure created a fear that is hard to erase. Most people believe that is how this works. Most think if we do it again, we will go through hell again. Let me tell you folks, that is not how it is supposed to work. Stevey should not have been flying around in a plane begging guys to come here. There should have been a plan. There should have been some reasonable people in mind, with ideas of who their staff would be. There should be an idea of what this team needs so that way you can specify what a coach brings to the table. Right now, IMO, experience is key.....across the board.

Good God this.

You're treating the hiring and firing of head coaches like it is some one variable decision. It's not just about wins and losses and it's not just about how we win and how we lose. So if I were the person in charge of making the decision to hire or fire Bo Pelini, here's what I would consider:

Record--Bo Pelini has won at least 9 games every season he's been a head coach. He's also lost 4 games every season. We've been in conference championship games, and we've been close to winning said conference championship games. We've also been embarrassed on national TV multiple times. We've been ranked as high as #5 in the nation and have been in the Top 10 on a few occasions. It's year six of Bo's time here, and he hasn't shown that he can get over the 10 win mark, but he also hasn't shown that he can fail to reach the 9 win mark. Overall, this decision is a wash; Bo Pelini can not be let go on record alone.

Image--Bo has been shown on national TV yelling at his coaches, yelling at the refs, and yelling at his players. He's an emotional, fiery guy. While some people do not like that, other people are okay with that. Any person outside of the program (the program includes the fans) can't make a reasonable judgment as to the character of Bo Pelini because all they read about and see on TV are his outbursts. That's misleading information. Overall, this decision is a wash; Bo Pelini can not be let go on image alone. Combined with record, the scale should be tipped a little towards firing--we could always get a coach who doesn't yell a lot; that way, people outside the program can't form that perception about the new coach and Nebraska.

His Players--It's been said numerous times that the players would run through walls for their coach. That's something that can't be ignored, and something that wouldn't be true for a new coach. Bo came here in 2008 and, with players that were recruited and played under a different person, Bo commanded and earned their respect. A player-coach relationship like that is something that not a lot of programs have, and it's something we'd give up if we let Bo go. Overall, Bo should not be fired for this reason.Combined with record and image, the scale should be tipped towards keeping Bo Pelini.

The Program--We have not been in an controversy since Bo Pelini has been here. Keeping the program out of trouble is good; especially in a time where scandals and investigations are the norm. Staying clean and winning football games is good. Overall, Bo should not be fired for this reason. Combined with record, image, and players, Bo Pelini should be retained as the head coach at Nebraska.

If the decision has already been made to let Bo go, then we better have a damn good replacement already in waiting. If we don't we risk scrambling for a hire, again.

• Fire 2

So its Bo's fault we joined the Big Ten as it fell into a pit of supposed mediocrity?

I agree with the message behind this post.

I ultimately believe that it wasn't Bo's fault although some systematic things bother me. I do put most of the blame on Nebraska going to the Big10.

The only benefit from a fan's point of view is having access to BTN.

How does the B1G have anything to do with Nebraska's lack of overall success? How would being in the Big12 be any different?

It's just another excuse. We're lucky we're in the Big Ten, which is a pretty mediocre conference. The Big 12 is quite a bit better. If we were still there, our record would be around .500. If we played in the Pac 10 or SEC, it might be worse.

Please. You know not of what you speak. Just took at look at the Big 12/10 and I see 6 cupcakes and 2 fairly even match ups. Get it straight or... Well just get it straight. T_O_B :troll:

You're treating the hiring and firing of head coaches like it is some one variable decision. It's not just about wins and losses and it's not just about how we win and how we lose. So if I were the person in charge of making the decision to hire or fire Bo Pelini, here's what I would consider:

Record--Bo Pelini has won at least 9 games every season he's been a head coach. He's also lost 4 games every season. We've been in conference championship games, and we've been close to winning said conference championship games. We've also been embarrassed on national TV multiple times. We've been ranked as high as #5 in the nation and have been in the Top 10 on a few occasions. It's year six of Bo's time here, and he hasn't shown that he can get over the 10 win mark, but he also hasn't shown that he can fail to reach the 9 win mark. Overall, this decision is a wash; Bo Pelini can not be let go on record alone.

Image--Bo has been shown on national TV yelling at his coaches, yelling at the refs, and yelling at his players. He's an emotional, fiery guy. While some people do not like that, other people are okay with that. Any person outside of the program (the program includes the fans) can't make a reasonable judgment as to the character of Bo Pelini because all they read about and see on TV are his outbursts. That's misleading information. Overall, this decision is a wash; Bo Pelini can not be let go on image alone. Combined with record, the scale should be tipped a little towards firing--we could always get a coach who doesn't yell a lot; that way, people outside the program can't form that perception about the new coach and Nebraska.

His Players--It's been said numerous times that the players would run through walls for their coach. That's something that can't be ignored, and something that wouldn't be true for a new coach. Bo came here in 2008 and, with players that were recruited and played under a different person, Bo commanded and earned their respect. A player-coach relationship like that is something that not a lot of programs have, and it's something we'd give up if we let Bo go. Overall, Bo should not be fired for this reason.Combined with record and image, the scale should be tipped towards keeping Bo Pelini.

The Program--We have not been in an controversy since Bo Pelini has been here. Keeping the program out of trouble is good; especially in a time where scandals and investigations are the norm. Staying clean and winning football games is good. Overall, Bo should not be fired for this reason. Combined with record, image, and players, Bo Pelini should be retained as the head coach at Nebraska.

If the decision has already been made to let Bo go, then we better have a damn good replacement already in waiting. If we don't we risk scrambling for a hire, again.

A good post. But there are a few things...NU hasn't won 9 games this season. Can they? Maybe. But on the road in Happy Valley, and at home vs a much improved Iowa team? Nothing certain with either game, especially with all the injuries.

I could really care less who Bo is yelling at during a game. But one thing bothers me...you hear players constantly sticking up for Bo, saying more or less that they'd run through walls for him. So why is it that after so many of these losses players keep saying they weren't focused, or prepared, or ready, or blah blah blah? If you're wanting to run through walls for your coach, but you're not executing, what is going on?!

I highly commend Bo on how he keeps his kids focused outside of the football field. Minimal issues, good in the classroom. Last I checked, most of these players aren't going to the NFL. I must be getting old, because I like seeing guys succeed in school just as much as on the field :)

I am not treating anything like anything, and I am very much aware that "It's not just about wins and losses and it's not just about how we win and how we lose". I am not an athletic director at a D1 university, but I do realize the enormity of the decision to replace a head coach at that level. I also realize the importance of clean image and player support, these things are typically expectations of all coaches at all schools (no matter if they win or lose). I am sure Eichorst will take all of this into consideration. Thanks for your response though.