Sobering Look - how far out of relevance NU has fallen

TGHusker

At the end of the day, what's troubling is having conversations with my buddies who are huge college football fans (live out in the bay area, CA btw) and their response after the michigan st/nebraska game simply was ""I didn't watch the game, Nebraska football just isn't relevant anymore. I can't remember the last time I watched a NU game and enjoyed what I was watching."

I asked a follow up question telling me the last game he could distinctly remember watching on his own where we did something positive (besides the games they've joined me with at the husker bar here in San FRancisco) his first response was one of Taylor's break through games in Washington and then a few of the come backs from last year

Take it for what its worth, obviously my buddies don't represent the nation when it comes to CFB viewing, but at the same time, they are born and raised Bay Area/Pac 12 fans who are completely neutral to Nebraska.

Are you trying to make a point with this? I live in MWC and Pac 12 territory also. They represent their neck of the world very well. They watch teams that are important to them. That is the Pac 12. I watch teams that I like. It is that simple.

I don't just watch team that are good. I don't watch Alabama or FSU because I don't care about them.

I'm not a huge Coach Pelini supporter but I still have to give him credit for what he's done as a FIRST TIME HEAD COACH. He guided the program out of its darkest period in nearly 50 years. He has won nine games in each of his first five seasons. Only THREE other programs accomplished that same feat of that span. I like that he's loyal to his friends but wish his friends were more talented. With such a young team starting to gel I think the next few seasons will be very exciting for Husker fans.

• Fire 1

Oh Bo Pelini was a perfectly good first time head coach. He engineered an immediate turnaround his first season. He coached one of the greatest Husker defenses in his second season, and ended it with a total thrashing of a supposedly up-and-coming Arizona squad, both sides of the ball.

All that with Bill Callahan's recruits.

After that, things got weird.

• Fire 2

Nebraska was on top of college football for 30 years.

I'd go ahead and make it 40 years, 1962 - 2001.

And our 2002 - 2013 "trough" hasn't been as deep or as long as other elite programs.

Speaking of entitlement, you could take most of the comments here and they would have sounded familiar around the Husker water cooler between 1973 and 1981. Then again between 1984 and 1992. Or what a lot of us remember as the Glory Days, forgetting that the Big 8 was a convenient stomping ground as conferences go.

As mentioned on other threads, I've been really unsatisfied with Bo Pelini's teams, the lack of focus, the inconsistency, the big game jitters. But something tells me to hold on for another season or two. There's some very likeable talent here, and having scorched a lot of earth there may be only one direction left for Bo Pelini.

Could be fun.

Excellent comments and insight about Osborne's tenure, the Big 8 Conference and the thought behind giving Pelini his shot with this insurgence of young talent.