Sources: "Mark Richt's heart has always been in Lincoln, NE"

Tressel is a douche bag. If we hire him I will never root for Nebraska again. I will sell all of my stuff and never watch a husker football game again.

Got any sweatshirts size "L"? I'll take them, and your red Sansabelts . :lol:

:thumbs I'm never gonna stop wearing my scarlet and cream, makes no sense to me.

Same here. I'll cheer on the team regardless of who NEB's coach is.

Richt doesn't seem like such a bad hire. Maybe he can do better than Bo. Perhaps not. Of course, it's impossible to say. He's done some good things at Georgia.

It's funny but I am sort of thinking the same thing. When I think of Mark Richt I instantly think of a coach who's teams never really made a lot of noise. Georgia's won 2 SEC Championships since he took over in 2001 so that's quite a long time. His overall record is what is kind of impressive, 124–44 (.738).

He definitely seems like a good person so he gets a thumbs up in the likeable dept for me but moreso that's a positive in the eyes of fans as well as recruits. Like Tressel I also think he could definitely recruit much better than Pelini so I like that aspect also. Definitely.

Yeah...you know, I'm not much a fan of saying "this conference is so much tougher", but Richt has four Top 10 finishes (one was borderline) and one Top 5 finish in years that he hasn't won the SEC. That's pretty impressive. If Bo is going six years without a CCG trophy but that drought has a 12-win season sprinkled in, can't think of anyone who would have too much of a problem with that.

This is kind of minor, but it's important to note that had Bo gone 10-3 in the SEC he would finish in the Top 10, too.

In regards to being ready, I remember a Washington game.

Going 10-3 in the SEC is tougher I think. Bring into account we have beaten so few winning teams this year, compared to what Richt has done, sets it pretty clear to me.

I really do not think Mark would leave Georgia, but in honesty he is under appreciated there. You hear the same complaints from their fans about him as we do about Bo. No reason for stepping from the frying pan into the flame. But I do think it would help recruiting with his hire. Not so much that he is or isn't a better recruiter, but the fact that he has all they contacts in the SEC. They grow them bigger and faster in that area for sure.

In regards to being ready, I remember a Washington game.

Going 10-3 in the SEC is tougher I think. Bring into account we have beaten so few winning teams this year, compared to what Richt has done, sets it pretty clear to me.

I really do not think Mark would leave Georgia, but in honesty he is under appreciated there. You hear the same complaints from their fans about him as we do about Bo. No reason for stepping from the frying pan into the flame. But I do think it would help recruiting with his hire. Not so much that he is or isn't a better recruiter, but the fact that he has all they contacts in the SEC. They grow them bigger and faster in that area for sure.

eyeswear2allthatsholy:confucius:dunno

I would think Richt is substantially better a coach than is Bo (several levels up from Bo)... but still probably not the level of coach that NU needs. If NU ended up with a coach like Richt that would be a major step up but not as many steps up as I'd like to see.

Who else do you think is reasonably attainable?

Better question - how do you see him as several levels up from Bo, but simultaneously not the level we need? How many levels are there total? How many levels is he from the top?

• Fire 1

Check the Olines and Dlines at all the SEC schools, they have so many kids that are much larger, stronger than any other conference it is amazing. Cowherd and Packer have brought it many times. That is the reason, or at least one of the reason the SEC is winning.

One comment during a game was that Bama had 11 Dlinemen that rotated in that would be starters at any other school in the country. Ole Miss is approaching that level supposedly.

I would think Richt is substantially better a coach than is Bo (several levels up from Bo)... but still probably not the level of coach that NU needs. If NU ended up with a coach like Richt that would be a major step up but not as many steps up as I'd like to see.

Better question - how do you see him as several levels up from Bo, but simultaneously not the level we need? How many levels are there total? How many levels is he from the top?

There are 10 win coaches, there are eleven win coaches, there are 12 win coaches and there is Nick Saban. Bo is in the 10 win coach category and Richt is in the eleven win coaches category. Duh!

Ive ways liked Coach Richt and respected the type program he runs. It does seem that there is something missing though because you would think with the talent pool he gets he should be in contention for a Conference Championship and National Championships a lot more than he has. I get the whole "yeah but he is in the SEC" crap...the national media mainly ESPN wont let the country forget it either......anyway Unless he is VERY un happy at Georgia No matter what someone wishes or dreams up......I just cant see Nebraska and all of its individual challenges including its fanbase, being at or even near the top of his list of places he would like to coach at.

One thing that has always impressed me about Richt is that he is running a clean team and having pretty good success against some very solid teams that don't play by the rules. He had his team in position to beat Alabama for the SEC title. I think he would do a very good job at preserving the Nebraska tradition while also being able to improve us in a few other places as well.

That being said, I think Bo has shown enough improvement in coaching and recruiting that he should be given another year. But if we were looking for a coach, Richt would be my first choice.

As to who is available, I have no notion.

As to levels, they are arbitrary --- you set them as yo wish. For me, I use a 1-10 scale where 1 is horrible and 10 is awesome --- with 5 being acceptable. On that scale, I would have Bo as a level 4 or level 5 type coach --- call him 4.5 overall (based upon he being out coached at the half so often, poor real-time adjustments, fielding a team that is unprepared, unfocused, poor in fundamentals, the turnovers, the penalties, the confused players on D, his poor work with the media, his poor hires, his being a fairly poor PR guy, etc. --- note that record is not so much the issue given our schedules --- but those things one can directly measure that relate back to coaching... and Bo is just below acceptable). Richt seems to be a level 6.5 type coach (or, at least that is what I surmise). I'd like to think NU could get a level 7.5 or level 8 coach (or... at least I hope). But who knows?

There are 10 win coaches, there are eleven win coaches, there are 12 win coaches and there is Nick Saban. Bo is in the 10 win coach category and Richt is in the eleven win coaches category. Duh!

coaches do not win or lose games on their own. Wins and losses are governed by talent, health of the team, schedule strength, distribution of home vs. away teams you play that are tough, player conditioning, and coaching --- among other variables. To measure coaches by the record of the team is a only one way to measure the job of a coach --- and is, at that, a poor way. Measure instead those things that are determined by fewer variables and can be directly tied into the coaches performance. How well does the coach deal with media, hire assistant coaches, graduate his players, manage the roster (using redshirts wisely), recruit, have his team play with solid fundamentals, is his team focused (or are they confused), how well does he make real-time adjustments and half-time adjustments, how long does it take for problem areas on the team to be corrected?

By measuring those things that are most closely and directly associated with the coach (and not other variables) you get a better assessment of the quality of the coaching performance. On this criteria, NU has a coach who is either not quite acceptable, or... perhaps barely acceptable. NU needs much, much better than that.

The difference between Richt and Pelini is that the former has the wherewithal to know that he needs experienced coordinators and has out coached better teams.

He's not a slam dunk, but he would be an improvement. Then again, if Pelini would go with experienced coordinators so he could focus on the team as a whole, we would see an improvement as well.

• Fire 1