Let the sellout streak end

987.gif 350+ post about a non-issue. The seats will have asses in them at Kickoff!

Football season just can't get here fast enough!

But there's so many empty seats in the students section.......

I'm reminded of the spring game a couple years ago. And I shouldntve giggled like I did, cuz maybe the guys just didnt know better and was making his first neat trip to the stadium. But we got to our seats with the place reaching a little over half full, and this guys two rows in front of us-"my goodness. All these empty seats. That sellout streak probably over today." Yes. He was dead serious. He was an older guy, and like I said, may have very well been a bit slow. But I couldnt help but chuckle. That's what I think of every time I see this thread bumped.

. Please tell me why this common sense concept is so hard to understand instead of this "issue" being a direct result of such "horrible" play.

Uh, because if there was a 11+ win season coupled with a conference title and/ or a BCS berth this wouldn't exist? I mean it would not exist.

Prove it.

I bet there are plenty of folks out there just like you who still wouldnt be happy about somethin.

Me? I can prove that had we not expanded seating by 5000+ seats less than a year ago, we would still have a nice long waiting list, with most likely increased donations. Yeah. I'll go with what we DO know, and not some speculation.

With that said. I do agree. LOL. Winning something of demand would *probably* (I say probably, cuz I'm not 100% sure. We may very well be maxed out as far as a fanbase goes that will consistently fill the place, in terms of economics, logistics, etc. Just a thought. Even some higher ups including Osborne alluded to this when this recent expansion was set up) increase demand. Hence, we're not sure if the wins and losses the is main issue. We know the expansions are.

Why do you assume I wouldn't be happy with something I'm asking for? I want. Nebraska to win.

Granted, it's been so long since they have I don't know exactly what I'd feel like, but I'm quite sure I wouldn't complain.

Oklahoma State 2007?4ffa3ef2b44cb.preview-620.jpg

I was at that game and it was packed at kickoff...People started leaving in the 2nd quarter. By the end of the game, there were just a few of us in our section.

Wasn't that the 10 year anniversary celebration of the 97 team and homecoming? I would bet it was jammed at the beginning.

That abortion of a game though.....ugh.

Its not an issue Polo. Like I said. Every game will be sold out this year. Mark it.

My theory on why its grabbing attention? Because the waiting list has been depleted by two major seating expansions within a decade. Non-renewals no longer have that 5000-butt cushion to lay back on. But one thing i dont get what you doomergloomer cant get through your head is that as long as theyre still asking full face price and not running specials and promotions like a damn theme park there really isnt anything to worry about.

And dont aske why i keep coming back to argue this point. I think its petty and idiotic. And i also refuse to take the bait of your attempt to spin this into another "bo sucks" thread.

I completely agree that every game will be "sold out" next year, I'm not trying to argue that. But I really do want your opinion and answers to what you define as "specials and promotions." My assumption is that you're talking about specials like: "Buy tickets to the Florida Atlantic game, get free season baseball tickets" and things of that nature. But...

Do you consider any of the following specials or promotions:

- Any UNL graduate in the last 3 years was offered tickets in a $150 donation seating area without paying any donation.

- Two specific seats my friend has in South Stadium total donation was $1300 in 2011 and now that donation price is $300 total. That is offering the same product for a 300% discount.

- I became a season ticket holder in 2013 and my donation level for 2014 is almost $100 cheaper, after just 1 year.

-They are offering tickets without a donation to everyone in 2014 when 3 years ago those same seats came with a $200 donation.

How are these different from a cable company offering:

-Buy cable and get free installation, setup and HBO

-Sign a 2 year contract and get your third year 300% off

-Get HBO for one year and get $100 off your bill

Again, the sellout streak isn't in danger for the obvious reasons of large donors and the like, but do you not see the above examples as a red flag that things are at minimum trending in the wrong direction?

• Fire 3

I'm done with all this dumb speculation. We need to define this in terms of what we know.

I'll tell you something I do know. I know that I have been a lifelong fan. I always thought the waitlist for season tickets was in the 1000's. I assumed the University had all the seats for the new east stadium expansion filled with season ticket owners. Until they advertised. If they hadn't advertised, there's no way that I would have even thought of signing up just to pay to be put on a waitlist. I ended up getting some awesome seats.

Something else I know. Tons of people didn't even know there ARE seats available. My word of mouth was their knowledge. Each of them go, "Huh? What's the donation $2500?" In which, I share with them what my donation is, and that $2500 is actually for the best seats in the house, and it goes down significantly after that. People just don't know this. Like I didn't before last year.

I'm not sure if any of them will end up getting season tickets. Not because they don't want to, I am sure they'd love to, but it's an annual financial commitment that people are just unable to do, or justify. I actually haven't told any of these people that there is no donation for some seats.

So why don't people know?

Because every last one of us has gotten used to there being NO season tickets available for years (heck, maybe decades, too young to say otherwise). So they don't know how, or where, to sign up for season tickets. This IS the first time this has happened to us as a fanbase. "There's season tickets available" is something none of us have heard up until now.

Sure we know about it, but that's because we're fools for reading and gobblin' up every ounce of news we can get about the Huskers. But for the fan, who is still a good fan, loves football, has been a fan for life, that just doesn't have the time to read over every article about Husker football during the offseason (I don't even have that much time). Maybe it's just time for us to get used to this, or for the athletic department to find a way to fill seats, or cut down on some seats by enhancing some seats (wider seats perhaps? Who knows, maybe they already have a plan). Alcohol could be the answer (haha, feel weird typing that out...), but I doubt it, but why not?

Winning is an answer. But not a true sustainable one. We should be proud of our accomplishments now, winning 9 games a year. There's only been a handful of teams that have accomplished that in the previous 5 years. That's pretty impressive and we should be impressed, but it's obvious we aren't. However, it's almost impossible with the way the game has changed and will forever change for years and decades to come to be a winner consistently year in and year out. Alabama didn't even play in the SEC championship game last year, nor did Oregon. It's hard to win consistently, yet we have, in two different conferences without skipping a beat (ok, the first Wiscy game was a big (skipped) beat, but Wiscy was pretty darn good) and have consistently been competing to be the representative of our division each year for the B1G Ten CG. Even last year, and you can bet your ass that we will be competing for that this year again.

Anyway, that's it. I typed too much, waaay too much.

• Fire 1

Its not an issue Polo. Like I said. Every game will be sold out this year. Mark it.

My theory on why its grabbing attention? Because the waiting list has been depleted by two major seating expansions within a decade. Non-renewals no longer have that 5000-butt cushion to lay back on. But one thing i dont get what you doomergloomer cant get through your head is that as long as theyre still asking full face price and not running specials and promotions like a damn theme park there really isnt anything to worry about.

And dont aske why i keep coming back to argue this point. I think its petty and idiotic. And i also refuse to take the bait of your attempt to spin this into another "bo sucks" thread.

I completely agree that every game will be "sold out" next year, I'm not trying to argue that. But I really do want your opinion and answers to what you define as "specials and promotions." My assumption is that you're talking about specials like: "Buy tickets to the Florida Atlantic game, get free season baseball tickets" and things of that nature. But...

- Any UNL graduate in the last 3 years was offered tickets in a $150 donation seating area without paying any donation.

- Two specific seats my friend has in South Stadium total donation was $1300 in 2011 and now that donation price is $300 total. That is offering the same product for a 300% discount.

- I became a season ticket holder in 2013 and my donation level for 2014 is almost $100 cheaper, after just 1 year.

-They are offering tickets without a donation to everyone in 2014 when 3 years ago those same seats came with a $200 donation.

Again, the sellout streak isn't in danger for the obvious reasons of large donors and the like, but do you not see the above examples as a red flag that things are at minimum trending in the wrong direction?

I see those deals as simple results of a supply and demand issue. The deals and promotions i speak of are much more drastic and reek of sever desperation. Like buy one, get one free. 10$ tickets to a particular game. Buy basketball season tickets and get a football game free. You know, those more radical types of deals. Sorry i didnt indulge into specifics on what i meant and thanks for posting that info. It is rather interesting.

And no i still dont see the red flag. You just said yourself you agree the streak wint end due to obvious reasons. So i ask, what are we worried about again?

As far as trending in the wrong direction i still say that the state of the program is the least of the issues at play here. Didnt say its not a factor at all. But its not nearly the factor doomergloomers claim it to be. And this downward trend (if its even such. I tend to think its more stagnant when you have exactly identical records for 6 years) could change in the matter of one season.

Oh, and Takoda. People dont have to show up for it to be a sellout. Personally I'd like to see a game where we only have 60k in the stands and the school still counts it as a sellout. Now THAT would be a story.

Yep, I get it. I have been going to games for longer than I care to recount and the day we only have 60k in the stands at a kickoff is the day I will morn for those who lost sight of what it all means!

I'm done with all this dumb speculation. We need to define this in terms of what we know.

I'll tell you something I do know. I know that I have been a lifelong fan. I always thought the waitlist for season tickets was in the 1000's. I assumed the University had all the seats for the new east stadium expansion filled with season ticket owners. Until they advertised. If they hadn't advertised, there's no way that I would have even thought of signing up just to pay to be put on a waitlist. I ended up getting some awesome seats.

Something else I know. Tons of people didn't even know there ARE seats available. My word of mouth was their knowledge. Each of them go, "Huh? What's the donation $2500?" In which, I share with them what my donation is, and that $2500 is actually for the best seats in the house, and it goes down significantly after that. People just don't know this. Like I didn't before last year.

I'm not sure if any of them will end up getting season tickets. Not because they don't want to, I am sure they'd love to, but it's an annual financial commitment that people are just unable to do, or justify. I actually haven't told any of these people that there is no donation for some seats.

So why don't people know?

Because every last one of us has gotten used to there being NO season tickets available for years (heck, maybe decades, too young to say otherwise). So they don't know how, or where, to sign up for season tickets. This IS the first time this has happened to us as a fanbase. "There's season tickets available" is something none of us have heard up until now.

Sure we know about it, but that's because we're fools for reading and gobblin' up every ounce of news we can get about the Huskers. But for the fan, who is still a good fan, loves football, has been a fan for life, that just doesn't have the time to read over every article about Husker football during the offseason (I don't even have that much time). Maybe it's just time for us to get used to this, or for the athletic department to find a way to fill seats, or cut down on some seats by enhancing some seats (wider seats perhaps? Who knows, maybe they already have a plan). Alcohol could be the answer (haha, feel weird typing that out...), but I doubt it, but why not?

Winning is an answer. But not a true sustainable one. We should be proud of our accomplishments now, winning 9 games a year. There's only been a handful of teams that have accomplished that in the previous 5 years. That's pretty impressive and we should be impressed, but it's obvious we aren't. However, it's almost impossible with the way the game has changed and will forever change for years and decades to come to be a winner consistently year in and year out. Alabama didn't even play in the SEC championship game last year, nor did Oregon. It's hard to win consistently, yet we have, in two different conferences without skipping a beat (ok, the first Wiscy game was a big (skipped) beat, but Wiscy was pretty darn good) and have consistently been competing to be the representative of our division each year for the B1G Ten CG. Even last year, and you can bet your ass that we will be competing for that this year again.

Anyway, that's it. I typed too much, waaay too much.

I disagree.
  • Fire 5

I see those deals as simple results of a supply and demand issue. The deals and promotions i speak of are much more drastic and reek of sever desperation. Like buy one, get one free. 10$ tickets to a particular game. Buy basketball season tickets and get a football game free. You know, those more radical types of deals. Sorry i didnt indulge into specifics on what i meant and thanks for posting that info. It is rather interesting.

And no i still dont see the red flag. You just said yourself you agree the streak wint end due to obvious reasons. So i ask, what are we worried about again?

As far as trending in the wrong direction i still say that the state of the program is the least of the issues at play here. Didnt say its not a factor at all. But its not nearly the factor doomergloomers claim it to be. And this downward trend (if its even such. I tend to think its more stagnant when you have exactly identical records for 6 years) could change in the matter of one season.

All this supply stuff that looks at seat # increase is overblown. Sure, the stadium has added 25,000 seats since the 90s.

...but the city of Lincoln alone has added at least 30,000. Omaha metro area has added 100k. More depending where you draw the greater area.

It's not that the stadium has outgrown the ability of the fanbase to support the team (in terms of attendance). Rather, its that interest in the team is waning at a greater rate to the market's population.

The problem isn't an increase in supply... the problem is lagging demand.

Why?