The important people (boosters and regents) have spoken

I still think this is a mistake. But so long as the Athletic Department and the boosters have decided that mediocrity is the path they're happy with, I guess the rest of us are just along for the ride.

The boosters are probably just happy that so many people are sitting at the games now and that makes for a more enjoyable experience for them.

While this is currently true, if the trend of losing, playing bad, inconsistent performance continues and people stop showing up; what then? It's a business. It's all about revenue. I heard that the waiting time for season tickets is disappearing...Nothing to confirm this.

I am a fan, but I'm not sure I want to go watch 3 monkeys throwing hand signals to confused players, a ranting coach, who takes shots at officials (bad calls or not) when I can stay home and flip to other games on cable. I'm sure I'm not the only one. A disappointed fan base = lost revenue. It starts hitting them in the checkbook, then I think they'll take a serious look at what needs to happen.

Guess what? Stay home then! Somebody else will gladly buy you tickets. Hopefully somebody that will support coaches and players instead of hinder the program!

No need to be angry. Not addressing you personally. Just throwing my opinions out there; that's what this forum says you can do.

So let me ask you this: You don't think the Raging Nose and his band of hand signal monkeys aren't hindering our program? If they were playing better, with good, solid execution, loss or win, would we even be discussing this?

My gf works has worked for the university for 34+ years. We are season ticket holders. I don't mind watching a loss or a win. I stay the whole game, but I'd be much happier if we just looked GOOD even if we lost. We don't.

You're probably right. I know that. I'm just not going to bitch about it all off season. Maybe most of it, or some of it, but seriously, it sounds like this is a done deal. He's back whether we like it or not. Like I said, I'm not a fan of Bo's, but I am a Husker fan. I was before he got here, and I will be after he's gone. There are some damn good coaches, players and men who built this thing from the ground up. I'll be damned if aim gonna let my dislike for one guy and his staff of puppets tear all that down. I may not like Bo, but I don't f'ing hate him like some of you do. I just don't think he's a very good head coach. He might be a good man, a good father, and all those other things that a man should be proud of. That's not my business to hate him. It's my business to think he's in over his head as a head coach. I'm a fan, I get the right to that opinion. I go to games, I have a ton of Husker sh#t and Im not getting rid of any of it. Might as well hope for next year, I'm not gonna f'ing sit around and dwell on this crap forever. Maybe just once in awhile. Like I said, I get that right, I'm a f'ing Husker fan.

Well said.

I still think this is a mistake. But so long as the Athletic Department and the boosters have decided that mediocrity is the path they're happy with, I guess the rest of us are just along for the ride.

The boosters are probably just happy that so many people are sitting at the games now and that makes for a more enjoyable experience for them.

While this is currently true, if the trend of losing, playing bad, inconsistent performance continues and people stop showing up; what then? It's a business. It's all about revenue. I heard that the waiting time for season tickets is disappearing...Nothing to confirm this.

I am a fan, but I'm not sure I want to go watch 3 monkeys throwing hand signals to confused players, a ranting coach, who takes shots at officials (bad calls or not) when I can stay home and flip to other games on cable. I'm sure I'm not the only one. A disappointed fan base = lost revenue. It starts hitting them in the checkbook, then I think they'll take a serious look at what needs to happen.

Guess what? Stay home then! Somebody else will gladly buy you tickets. Hopefully somebody that will support coaches and players instead of hinder the program!

No need to be angry. Not addressing you personally. Just throwing my opinions out there; that's what this forum says you can do.

So let me ask you this: You don't think the Raging Nose and his band of hand signal monkeys aren't hindering our program? If they were playing better, with good, solid execution, loss or win, would we even be discussing this?

My gf works has worked for the university for 34+ years. We are season ticket holders. I don't mind watching a loss or a win. I stay the whole game, but I'd be much happier if we just looked GOOD even if we lost. We don't.

I agree, and I apologize for attacking you, let my emotions get ahead of me, lol. As I stated in another post of mine, maybe the reason I understand Bo is I'm alot like him. I am also a coach. I do think sometimes the signaling stuff hinders us, however it works for many teams as I think Bo will either fine tune it, can it, or do what needs to be done to improve things. Trust me in the fact that nobody is bothered more by whats going on than him! All I want is to see people give their full support and stay away from the negative things. As a coach, he is having to spend too much time putting out fires where there shouldn't be instead of working on what needs to be fixed, and that takes time. As far as sideline actions, there are many coaches worse than him, and many better. All different. For whatever reason, media has chosen to focus on him. If we were winning, the media would be praising our fiery head coach and how he controls the sideline, lol.

• Fire 1

I keep seeing happy with mediocrity, is the used car salesman back.

I was just thinking about that yesterday. Everyone seems to be focused on that term and yet is was used by the one guy who pretty much everyone universally agrees was bad for football and screw up historically more than he succeeded in coaching decisions with the sport. I'm sure he'd be thrilled to have a win/loss record like the last 6 years during his time or at his current stop where he almost received a pink slip during his handling of his last coaching change (2nd to last since that guy bailed after a year).

I was just thinking about that yesterday. Everyone seems to be focused on that term and yet is was used by the one guy who pretty much everyone universally agrees was bad for football and screw up historically more than he succeeded in coaching decisions with the sport. I'm sure he'd be thrilled to have a win/loss record like the last 6 years during his time or at his current stop where he almost received a pink slip during his handling of his last coaching change (2nd to last since that guy bailed after a year).

While everyone might universally agree Pud was bad for football, I think maybe they should delve into the details just a little deeper. Most will not because they will not like what they find.

It might not be 100 million anymore. It really doesn't matter what he makes. Pay is based on going rate. Just ask Harvey. That's why we paid a guy 3 times what he was making to make him #1 in the B10 and #5 nationally to be our AD. And he won't do interviews or return email to boosters. No one seems to care about that. BTW he only makes 1.9 million less than the coach. You would think he'd be a little more media savvy and help the PR of you flagship and money maker.

This is either a complete non sequitur or I'm seriously missing the point. The AD stated publicly what his policy about commenting on coaches was in-season. That he didn't comment or de facto comment by returning e-mails to boosters on that topic (presumably?) is unsurprising. But what is your point about Eichorst? That he's a crappy AD? Okay, I suppose I can take your word for it, and maybe Pearlman is a scumbag as well--you know, just to concede the whole thing get it out of the way.

Now, what does that have to do with Bo ritualistically melting down and fuming an atmosphere of hostility over the entire state? It's not like this is an isolated incident. As far as salary goes, again you're right--it doesn't matter if Pelini was doing this job pro bono. He's got to get his sh#t together, quick. I did see the whole interview. Paired with the (second, third?) flag Bo's drawn from the sideline--which was probably an accident, I think, but regardless--the rude halftime interview, and the embarrassing presser, he's feeding the tension. It has to stop. It's that simple. It just has to stop.

The administration you're not a fan of retained him, interviews and e-mails or not. Since that's the decision, I guess that's all there is to say. I like all Nebraska fans hope it turns out well. However the media is going to be asking the same questions the fans are asking if next season turns out like this one. All the rage in the world isn't going to prevent it. Just makes it worse. Bo is a good man, a totally decent human being, and I know he has it in him to be better than he's been.

That thought was a continuation from the previous post. I was stating It doesn't give any credit to the argument by stating his pay. I was indicating that pay shouldn't even factor into if he's a decent at his job or not. And since he was doing that I was pointing out how the people most against him are well paid.

I truely don't have a full judgement on Shawn at the moment. He does well in a public setting but he's not been very PR savy for a job that's called to do that. In a way its worse (or at least equally as bad) than Bo because the main job of the AD is to be the face of the department and handle those issue before they manifest into a huge issue like this has become. I don't know this to be true yet, but I suspect most of this happened because his hands were tied by Pearlman who I know to be be a weasel who has stated his dislike for our coach in private circles. Believe me there was going to be zero statements made by either person until the BOR stepped in. That's not how you lead. You don't do it through fear, manipulation or crap ethics like he's demonstrated. I've worked for major A-holes who twisted information, tried to create staff issues where there were none and felt like they need to have controversy in order to feel they were in control and be the savior of the ship. HP is that way and that's why I don't care for what he's doing now. I have hopes for SE still. If he truly believes what he told us at a function this past summer and the book he gave to the entire staff is the way he prefers to manage we'll be fine. But so far he's not demonstrating that he plans to do that. That is also very different from all accounts at his time at other stops in Wiscy, South Carolina, etc. So there is a variable here changing is MO. I don't think its the coach that reports to him.

It's a good question: can you be supportive of your team while talking about the problems the team is having?

And what it needs to do to get better?

And wondering aloud if maybe the coaching is part of the problem?

Do you accept 8 - 4 as the best this team could do and say "let's get 'em next year, guys?" Maybe you do. Maybe we're spoiled.

But the Omaha World Herald is having the same questions we express here on HuskerBoard. At some point (2011) you have to ask if there's something about this head coach that is reflected in the team's inconsistent and sometimes wildly undisciplined play. I don't recall the media agitating for his firing, or suggesting it wasn't fixable. They reported what we were seeing. Their speculation was probably better informed. Beat reporters are typically more diplomatic than sensational about what goes on in the locker room. We end up getting the real story after the fact.

Pelini definitely gets edited for the juiciest sound bite, but taken entirely in-context you still have to ask if Bo is earning his salary as both a head coach and face of the university.

Teams reflect their coaches. I'd love to say the Huskers play with the fiery passion of their head coach -- and make a few mistakes along the way -- but sometimes it looks just the opposite to me.

This team reflects its coach because it is wound too tight and can't get out of its own way.

If Kenny Bell is right about what this team is willing to do for Bo Pelini, I'd say 2014 is the perfect time to show it. The Gates of Hell aren't necessary. Four inspired quarters of football will suffice.

While everyone might universally agree Pud was bad for football, I think maybe they should delve into the details just a little deeper. Most will not because they will not like what they find.

He was very good for facility issues but that's because he said this is what we want (which were actually concepts from the dollar bill) and let Paul Myers do the fund raising. I know because I saw the concept drawings for the stadium expansion (including a south stadium one that I think is scrapped) when I lived in Lincoln in 1998-99 and was around the department at the time.

I will not support Bo or any administration that decides to keep him employed. Enjoy the elbow room because my family wont be attending any more games while Bo is still here, since people in the stands is all our administration seems care about. I will continue to support the players from my La-Z-Boy.

• Fire 1

I will not support Bo or any administration that decides to keep him employed. Enjoy the elbow room because my family wont be attending any more games while Bo is still here, since people in the stands is all our administration seems care about. I will continue to support the players from my La-Z-Boy.

I see what you are saying, but I go to games to support the boys that are playing for Nebraska. I have never once cheered for the coaches and their awesome play calling! I don't really agree with it when people make comments like this and it tells me that you will only support the team when things are all going the way that you think they should.

i applaud you for standing up for your beliefs.

Teams don't necessarily reflect their coach. Peters brothers, Phillips, pretty sure didn't reflect Osborne. Many others too. I've coached under some great head coaches some fiery, some not. Truthfuly, a lot of times over the years, the teams were the opposite of the head coach. Just an observation I've made. Of course, not always true but not always true the other way either.

Oh no! Fake season tickets will not be inhabitated by fans that never owned them.

Seriously though, some of you people have gone completely crazy.

• Fire 1