Riding the fence no more

Normally the staff shakeups wouldnt be an excuse, happens alot. But in the midst of a conference change it had to be a huge factor. Different system different recruiting, on top of reassigning staff/hiring new staff. Yeah it had to have an effect.

Do you think we'd be better than 8-4 w/ Watson/Carl right now? For some reason I don't think so...

Watson No, Carl maybe.

We are void highs and lows with Bo so far. Medium range has been the staple. Next year has to be different one way or another to validate suooort or confirm a change must be made.

I agree, I don't think the conference title is a must, but a divisional title is definitely needed with about a 10-2 record with fundamentally sound play throughout.

I want BP to be successful, because I want Nebraska to be successful. I agree with Shatel that SE should have given his vote of confidence before the Iowa game. I don't know if they win the game, but the PC etc. would probably gone better.

Strongly disagree with the bolded part. A conference title is the next step forward, anything less is what we've been getting the past 6 years.

If we do end up getting new coordinators whether fired or take new gig, Eichorst needs to be involved. Not aninner circle hire or promoting within thing. Get a oroven comoddity.

I just don't see how you can do this. He is the head coach, you have to let him sink or swim on his own. And part of being on his own is assembling his own staff.

And if you were a coordinator out there, why would you take this job. You have a coach who seems to want to excercise a lot of control over his coordinators and is also in a very tenious situation job wise. If he goes, most new guys are going to bring in their own top assistants. So do you have gurantee money to get new coordinators? Just does not appear to be a very appealing job prospect.

The decision is for Bo to stay, then you have to let him be the coach.

Yeah, I'm behind Pelini too. But for different reasons. I think it's a lot harder on a program to reboot than people realize. We fire Bo now and the Huskers will be set back by another two or three years. Or more. I just think it will be more efficient to fix the existing problems and improve what we have. Rather than shitcaning the whole staff and starting from scratch again. That, and I continue to believe that Bo is a decent coach. Albeit with a few flaws.

You're assuming he can fix the problems. What makes you believe that? (honest question)

I'm guessing it comes from the same place that other people are reaching to explain why they believe Bo needs to go.

I fall in the camp that unless we make a slam dunk hire or have someone with a proven coaching record at some decent schools, then we'd just be wasting our time or flirting with danger. We could get lightning in a bottle or we could get worse than we are now. I too think Pelini is a good coach albeit with a few flaws, and even though I'm disappointed with the way his teams have performed the last couple of years, I'm not ready to throw in the towel quite yet.

Again, though, I hold very little personal tie to Pelini. I want him to do well, but if we were able to find a really good coach that's an obvious improvement then I wouldn't be opposed to that hire. Personally, I think we're just in a very precarious situation. He hasn't done enough to completely warrant a firing, but he also hasn't done enough to prove he deserves more time. Throw in a buyout (which I don't think is a big deal, but still needs to be factored) and then the decision becomes to just sit tight and let things play out a while longer.

• Fire 1

Yeah, I'm behind Pelini too. But for different reasons. I think it's a lot harder on a program to reboot than people realize. We fire Bo now and the Huskers will be set back by another two or three years. Or more. I just think it will be more efficient to fix the existing problems and improve what we have. Rather than shitcaning the whole staff and starting from scratch again. That, and I continue to believe that Bo is a decent coach. Albeit with a few flaws.

You're assuming he can fix the problems. What makes you believe that? (honest question)

I'm guessing it comes from the same place that other people are reaching to explain why they believe Bo needs to go.

I fall in the camp that unless we make a slam dunk hire or have someone with a proven coaching record at some decent schools, then we'd just be wasting our time or flirting with danger. We could get lightning in a bottle or we could get worse than we are now. I too think Pelini is a good coach albeit with a few flaws, and even though I'm disappointed with the way his teams have performed the last couple of years, I'm not ready to throw in the towel quite yet.

Again, though, I hold very little personal tie to Pelini. I want him to do well, but if we were able to find a really good coach that's an obvious improvement then I wouldn't be opposed to that hire. Personally, I think we're just in a very precarious situation. He hasn't done enough to completely warrant a firing, but he also hasn't done enough to prove he deserves more time. Throw in a buyout (which I don't think is a big deal, but still needs to be factored) and then the decision becomes to just sit tight and let things play out a while longer.

And we have now determined the point at which Nebraska fans will accept mediocrity. I understand change is scary, but you sound pretty convinced that next year will be another 9-4ish type of season. And you're ok with that. To me, another repeat of the last few years is just not good enough. So I'm kind of on board w/ Hujan in the other thread...it's quite simple: if the job he is doing isn't good enough, you part ways. And he's not doing the job. He hasn't been for 3 years now. That's a lot of slack. Bo Pelini is one of the longer tenured coaches in Div I. He's had his chance. I'm ready to take the risk for something better. It might not work out, but it's better than going through this crap every season. At least we took a shot at it.

I also think that every year that passes like this, we get farther and farther away from having a chance at ever building the program into a consistent player when it comes to the playoffs. We're becoming just another middle of the pack BCS conference school. We're becoming Ole Miss, or A&M, or Tech, or Washington. You think it's hard to get a coach now? Wait until we've continued down this path a little longer. Each year that passes, or position as a "coaching destination" deteriorates a little more.

• Fire 1

I could not argee with your more, we get rid of Bo and his staff then we have to find somebody else to come in here and take over and keep the ship upright, yeah that would set us back and we would have bigger issues then four loss season. it definately would set us back about two years maybe more

I am not sure why I had to start a new topic but I just had to announce that I am not riding the fence on Bo anymore. I am totally behind him but in hopeful manner that he gets some different assistants in here.

I was watching a 2009 highlight film and I completely forget to realize that the coaching staff hasn't had a chance to have any sort of continuity.

Mike Ekeler gone

Marvin Sanders gone

Shawn Watson gone

Carl Pelini gone

How much has THIS been the issue?

So many people are calling for a staff shakeup now, you seem to think the opposite? Why?

That is sad if the buyout is the issue.. I don't think he should be fired, but I do want to see more with this young D-fence and that might start with a new DC or Bo running it and not through anybody his name on the product!

I thought Bo was running it? I thought it was his D? I still want someone to tell me what the change was mid-season. Did Bo take it over, or did JP take it over. Because it was always understood to be Bo's from day 1.

That is sad if the buyout is the issue.. I don't think he should be fired, but I do want to see more with this young D-fence and that might start with a new DC or Bo running it and not through anybody his name on the product!

I thought Bo was running it? I thought it was his D? I still want someone to tell me what the change was mid-season. Did Bo take it over, or did JP take it over. Because it was always understood to be Bo's from day 1.

Honestly Chris? I think JP taking more of the reigns is a pretty reasonable explanation. I seriously think that with Bo having to take care of all the typical head coach duties, I dont think he was able to spend enough time properly preparing himself to call the plays on saturday. And we all know he was having a major suggestive hand in it, if not making the calls altogether. One thing that catches my eye over the past several weeks is I dont notice Bo studying the play sheet between every defensive snap. I seriously think Paps is either more involved, or has taken the reigns completely in terms of defensive playcalling. Just a thought.

Depends on how full your glass is. Mediocre implies average, and Pelini is not average by any but the most pessimistic of metrics. He's not winning conference titles, but not winning conference titles doesn't make a coach mediocre.

It's also reactionary - nobody was using this word after Northwestern or Penn State. If we win the bowl game the tide of emotion will swing again and "mediocre" will be shelved for a while - until the next loss.