Duck Dynasty star suspended from show

I think it's possible that the suspension is nothing more than a publicity stunt by A&E. I'd have to imagine that this move will increase viewership if Phil Robertson is returned to the show.

I think this sounds about right. Just a ploy to get attention and grab ratings.

I am still astounded this is a story. I don't agree with his personal opinions, but his main message was he doesn't agree with how some people conduct their lives but he will still love them and let the God he believes in judge them.

As a non-Christian I find this refreshing, rather than condemn the guy there should be a dialogue that should start.

The fact that you didn't think that the comments themselves were brash and a bit revolting or couldn't recognize that there was a clear negative connotation towards a specific group of people despite that "godly" message is a bit disturbing

Look, I don't give a f#*k what his opinion is. Nobody should. But when you have a pedestal you can say things that demean and hurt groups of people. That's bigotry and it's why more and more people are starting to hate Christianity in this country.

How is it disturbing for one specific group?

For not giving a f#*k you sure care about what he said.

This is spot on and what I don't understand about people.

A. Why do you care so much about someone else's opinion, someone you don't know, someone you don't interact with, when it doesn't affect you? B. Why do you care so much when somebody else doesn't care about someone else's opinion or has a different opinion about someone else's opinion that you do?

It's like, please get something better in your life to care about. Are your lives THAT uninteresting? Wait, I already know that answer to that question...

I am still astounded this is a story. I don't agree with his personal opinions, but his main message was he doesn't agree with how some people conduct their lives but he will still love them and let the God he believes in judge them.

As a non-Christian I find this refreshing, rather than condemn the guy there should be a dialogue that should start.

The fact that you didn't think that the comments themselves were brash and a bit revolting or couldn't recognize that there was a clear negative connotation towards a specific group of people despite that "godly" message is a bit disturbing

Look, I don't give a f#*k what his opinion is. Nobody should. But when you have a pedestal you can say things that demean and hurt groups of people. That's bigotry and it's why more and more people are starting to hate Christianity in this country.

You are disturbed that I appreciate a religious zealout that states they don't agree with a particular group but will leave them alone? I appreciate peace in this world and would much rather see somebody like this than some extremist a-hole.

Also, for reference, his comments re: black people and oppression:

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field .... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word! ... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

Hardly the vitriolic, ignorant racist speech it has been painted as in this thread.

I believe it was Jon Stewart who said something along the lines of, "Of course they weren't singing the blues! They were in the process of being created...."

I was going to look up all the shows that A&E broadcasts. I assumed there were a lot of shows aimed towards people who might not tend to agree with Robertson's opinion. So I thought, just maybe, that A&E was looking out for their own good and not alienating the "crowds" that watch the network's other shows.

What I found was:

A&E sucks......