Post Bowl Game Thoughts

URSS

I thought the run defense was excellent today, especially at crashing down on the ends and closing speed was the difference. talk all day about passing defense but our run defense always sets the tone.

Actually, the only soft spot on our defense was that dang RB or TE pass they kept running. Other than that, they weren't able to do much at all.

Which was usually open because of a pick route by a WR on our LB.

8. Kickers. We are so, so, very spoiled / blessed when it comes to having great field goal kickers. Need a 46 yard field goal on grungy field when it's raining? Why sure! We're Nebraska, so ring it up!

I have been thinking of how the game might have gone if Pat Smith misses that field goal...and Georgia is down by only two points on their last posessions... :facepalm:

We need a punter who can kick with much more consistency. I think we need to recruit an outstanding punter. I hold my breath each time we punt wondering if it will be a 15 yard shank or a 53 yard bomb.

Special teams. All of the special teams. Seriously Els has to go.

Els doesnt need to go anywhere. He's been recruiting coordinator for steadily improving recruiting since he's been here. He's the position coach for what is by far the most improved linebacking core in the conference. Yes, his duties need to be pared down. 3 jobs for one guy is a bit ridiculous. His special teams title does need to be taken away, I'll agree with that. But I'm at the point right now where this staff needs to be completely retained and lets see where this goes.

8. Kickers. We are so, so, very spoiled / blessed when it comes to having great field goal kickers. Need a 46 yard field goal on grungy field when it's raining? Why sure! We're Nebraska, so ring it up!

I have been thinking of how the game might have gone if Pat Smith misses that field goal...and Georgia is down by only two points on their last posessions... :facepalm:

We need a punter who can kick with much more consistency. I think we need to recruit an outstanding punter. I hold my breath each time we punt wondering if it will be a 15 yard shank or a 53 yard bomb.

Els doesnt need to go anywhere. He's been recruiting coordinator for steadily improving recruiting since he's been here. He's the position coach for what is by far the most improved linebacking core in the conference. Yes, his duties need to be pared down. 3 jobs for one guy is a bit ridiculous. His special teams title does need to be taken away, I'll agree with that. But I'm at the point right now where this staff needs to be completely retained and lets see where this goes.

Wow, I totally disagree with you.

Special teams is a train wreck, Papuchis is at this point a figurehead at best.

I'd say Pap, since he has a pretty good recruiting record according to most, goes to RC, Els goes, Dobson goes and if Bo stays (and at this point, obviously he's staying) he owns the defense. No more hiding behind a doc that you constantly override.

1. Fans in the Stands. Large blocks of seats not sold. Clearly more Bulldog fans that Huskers. Huskers not travelling well now? No interest in playing Georgia again?

Seems like we used to travel in great numbers to any game even one as far away as Hawaii.

I honestly think this has more to do with money than it does with UGA. UGA was a good match up for us. I think its getting way too ridiculous that fans in the North have to travel non-stop. There is no reason why we couldn't put a bowl game in Minneapolis or Indy, if not both. The $EC schools need to start traveling.

It's probably a little bit of all thing. Money, UGA, 3rd in Florida all play a part in it.

For UGA fans this is a 4-5 hour drive to and from the game.

Can you imagine if we played in a bowl game just a few hours away, in say, St. Louis? There wouldn't be an empty seat in the house. And it would be 99% red.

Corey Cooper played hard today. As physical as I have ever seen him play and he was intimidating. Hopefully he can play the same way next year.

Only three guys caught passes today, which doesn't really matter because we won but hopefully Tommy works on his passing game this offseason.

1. Fans in the Stands. Large blocks of seats not sold. Clearly more Bulldog fans that Huskers. Huskers not travelling well now? No interest in playing Georgia again?

Seems like we used to travel in great numbers to any game even one as far away as Hawaii.

Airfare was steep. Repeat bowl matchup. Third consecutive Florida bowl.

no one wants to go to jacksonville. it was practically a home game for uga. i am not surprised there were more dawgs than 'skers.

Wow, I totally disagree with you.

Special teams is a train wreck, Papuchis is at this point a figurehead at best.

I'd say Pap, since he has a pretty good recruiting record according to most, goes to RC, Els goes, Dobson goes and if Bo stays (and at this point, obviously he's staying) he owns the defense. No more hiding behind a doc that you constantly override.

My theory and opinion on Pap is that he started having MORE say as the season wore on. Seriously, with all the responsibilties that go along with being a Head Coach, how can Bo properly prepare himself to call plays on Saturday at the steadiness and rate we all know he was once doing. It's jsut a thought.

At some point, the constant run around within the staff needs to stop. Young team. Young staff. I say stick with it and see where it goes. I saw more improvement today and a team that was ready to play on both sides of the ball.

Interesting theory Accountabilty. Maybe he was given more duty. ( hehe I said duty). The point I would make is this. Whoever was in charge at the end, you know, when we were rushing four, playing patty cake, bending not breaking as we almost pissed the game away..............ya, that guy needs to f#*k himself right out the door.

I do get tired of Nebraska pressuring and blitzing all damn day, and it works. So then instead of getting comfortable and turning up the heat, we play scared and back off as if we are afraid to give up "the big one". Whoever is doing this needs to stop. The defense looks good when they do what they do, and that is blitz! When we blitz, we win. Period.

Interesting theory Accountabilty. Maybe he was given more duty. ( hehe I said duty). The point I would make is this. Whoever was in charge at the end, you know, when we were rushing four, playing patty cake, bending not breaking as we almost pissed the game away..............ya, that guy needs to f#*k himself right out the door.

Maybe your right. Aggressiveness is a plus. I like it too. But I also understand such coach's theory with their young and very inexperienced QB and receivers and talented Oline against our experienced secondary. We almost want him to try to diagnose our coverages and make throws. Sure it would've been harder under the distress of blitzes, but on that field, with that footing, man coverage was almost a sure no-no against them kind of athletes who know where theyre going in them conditions.