Post Bowl Game Thoughts

URSS

Some random thoughts:

1. Fans in the Stands. Large blocks of seats not sold. Clearly more Bulldog fans that Huskers. Huskers not travelling well now? No interest in playing Georgia again?

Seems like we used to travel in great numbers to any game even one as far away as Hawaii.

2. Play Calling. None of us are perfect play callers but it seems to me that Beck somehow winds up in a 3rd and long too many times. He seems to like slow developing plays behind the LOS or out in the flat behind the LOS against fast defenses. It seems to me that when we don't have power running success in the first half, Beck still wastes too many plays up the middle in the late quarters.

3. Bo. He seemed to be in control more and I was very happy and surprised with his half time interview. He did a good job. I hope our assistants have matured more this year and ready to battle the best coaching staffs in the country.

4. Turnovers. We did a much better job today but Bo has had problems for several seasons. We need to get a handle on the ball. Newby seems to drop the ball too much. Our secondary played well in coverage but we seem to be a little less agressive now for interceptions and soft in the middle. Can't complain too much though since we held Georgia to three FGs and one TD. We gave up yards but got tough inside the 30.

5. Field Position. We need to do better with special teams and getting the offense up the field enough to win the field position game. We need much more emphasis on the kicking game. Foltz seems good for at least one shank per game.

6. Blackshirts. They played much better in the second half of the season and played with a lot of heart for the full game. I have a lot of hope for next year.

7. Team. The team is full of heart and effort. I am proud of them. Even in the losses they played hard and most of hte losses were due to us shooting ourselves in the foot with turnovers, fumbles, drops, and penalties.

• Fire 1

1. Fans in the Stands. Large blocks of seats not sold. Clearly more Bulldog fans that Huskers. Huskers not travelling well now? No interest in playing Georgia again?

Seems like we used to travel in great numbers to any game even one as far away as Hawaii.

I honestly think this has more to do with money than it does with UGA. UGA was a good match up for us. I think its getting way too ridiculous that fans in the North have to travel non-stop. There is no reason why we couldn't put a bowl game in Minneapolis or Indy, if not both. The $EC schools need to start traveling.

• Fire 5

Airfare was steep. Repeat bowl matchup. Third consecutive Florida bowl.

8. Kickers. We are so, so, very spoiled / blessed when it comes to having great field goal kickers. Need a 46 yard field goal on grungy field when it's raining? Why sure! We're Nebraska, so ring it up!

I have been thinking of how the game might have gone if Pat Smith misses that field goal...and Georgia is down by only two points on their last posessions... :facepalm:

• Fire 6

8. Kickers. We are so, so, very spoiled / blessed when it comes to having great field goal kickers. Need a 46 yard field goal on grungy field when it's raining? Why sure! We're Nebraska, so ring it up!

I have been thinking of how the game might have gone if Pat Smith misses that field goal...and Georgia is down by only two points on their last posessions... :facepalm:

well, just stop, damn it!

I honestly think this has more to do with money than it does with UGA. UGA was a good match up for us. I think its getting way too ridiculous that fans in the North have to travel non-stop. There is no reason why we couldn't put a bowl game in Minneapolis or Indy, if not both. The $EC schools need to start traveling.

It's probably a little bit of all thing. Money, UGA, 3rd in Florida all play a part in it.

For UGA fans this is a 4-5 hour drive to and from the game.

well, just stop, damn it!

Okay, I have...

Now I see Quincy Enunwa on his 99 yard reception slowing down the five yard line, then circling back towards the defenders looking to truck two or three more before scoring...and he does... 'cause Kenny Bell is herding them towards him, one by one.

I fully agree with the thought of having some bowl games up north under domes. The SEC should have to travel distances too. I expect that most bowl orgainzers have thoughts of tourists taking in the game and staying on to spend money in nice vacation spots. I am not sure how many tourist fans would want to be in northern cities in the winter. However, the football only fans should be willing to make the trip.

Plane fares are up too with tack on fees added. I cancelled my Thanksgiving trip this year and last year because the plane fares were much too high. Maybe if the economy comes back and the Feds allows the energy drilling everywhere the fuel costs will drop down.

Some random thoughts:

Definitely a little disappointing with the lack of Husker fans, but there were these two Husker fans that parked next to me with an Alaskan license plate. I didn't get to ask if they actually drove all that way or not, but if they did more power to them.

I fully agree with the thought of having some bowl games up north under domes. The SEC should have to travel distances too. I expect that most bowl orgainzers have thoughts of tourists taking in the game and staying on to spend money in nice vacation spots. I am not sure how many tourist fans would want to be in northern cities in the winter. However, the football only fans should be willing to make the trip.

Plane fares are up too with tack on fees added. I cancelled my Thanksgiving trip this year and last year because the plane fares were much too high. Maybe if the economy comes back and the Feds allows the energy drilling everywhere the fuel costs will drop down.

I can't speak for Indy but the Twin Cities in winter is great. I remember when the super bowl was there, they had huge Ice sculptures and the atmosphere was perfect. There is no shortage of entertainment there either. Mall of America, Grand Ave, Museums, Winter parks, etc.

I thought the run defense was excellent today, especially at crashing down on the ends and closing speed was the difference. talk all day about passing defense but our run defense always sets the tone.

Actually, the only soft spot on our defense was that dang RB or TE pass they kept running. Other than that, they weren't able to do much at all.

We need a punter who can kick with much more consistency. I think we need to recruit an outstanding punter. I hold my breath each time we punt wondering if it will be a 15 yard shank or a 53 yard bomb.

We need a punter who can kick with much more consistency. I think we need to recruit an outstanding punter. I hold my breath each time we punt wondering if it will be a 15 yard shank or a 53 yard bomb.

Special teams. All of the special teams. Seriously Els has to go.