Post Bowl Game Thoughts

URSS

I have been thinking of how the game might have gone if Pat Smith misses that field goal...and Georgia is down by only two points on their last posessions... :facepalm:

Of course you did. Doubt you wasted any time thinking how easily we might have won had Turner not dropped the TD pass.

Or had we not thrown the pick that gave Georgia incredible field position, resulting in their ONLY TD, up 24-12 at the time.

If if's and but's were.......................

I'm not nearly as optimistic as a lot of your guys. The D played pretty well, but that wouldn't be a story if Georgia's TE could catch a ball. Those 2 drops could have cost them two TD's. There's just no denying that. And the lack of pressure at the end of the game is puzzling at the least. That said, the D-line is miles ahead of where they were early in the year.

The passing game was pathetic. Armstrong was 6-14 for 163 yards. That doesn't look horrible until you factor in one of those passes went for 99. Take that away and he's 5-13 for 64 yards. That sure looks a lot different and is more indicative of what the passing game felt like while watching it.

Ameer, as usual, was the man. I really hope he comes back. If not, I just don't see how this offense can move the ball. Nobody else is proven. Sure, there may be potential, but potential isn't a sure thing. Ameer is! He turns losses into gains and turns 4 yard gains into 8 yard gains. He has definitely been a delight to watch. I'll be bummed if he leaves.

Obviously it's impossible to gauge what will happen next year. I can't help but feel like this team will be much like Bo's teams before Martinez. We'll need to rely on D because the O won't be up to par. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not nearly as optimistic as a lot of your guys. The D played pretty well, but that wouldn't be a story if Georgia's TE could catch a ball. Those 2 drops could have cost them two TD's. There's just no denying that. And the lack of pressure at the end of the game is puzzling at the least. That said, the D-line is miles ahead of where they were early in the year.

The passing game was pathetic. Armstrong was 6-14 for 163 yards. That doesn't look horrible until you factor in one of those passes went for 99. Take that away and he's 5-13 for 64 yards. That sure looks a lot different and is more indicative of what the passing game felt like while watching it.

So you're worried about what would have happened if things went better for Georgia and worse for us? Yeah, I would guess that would change the outcome of a lot of games.

• Fire 2

I wish we would have had social media since the 70's to see how reactions to games and plays would have been judged by all the arm chair coaches/wide receivers/qbs etc.... It depressing to open topics about the game and see so much negative bull s///t... We won... both teams played on the same field.... yet some husker fans expect 60-3 over five yrs, if not we suck and everyone associated with the program should be fired.... the players are not talented enough..

Are you guys for real or does your wife/girlfriend give you so much grief that you have no other outlet to show your displeasure with your life you need to bash the players and coaches.... Sorry about the run on sentence, I just needed to get that out.... Husker fan since 12yrs old (1962).. Some of you so called Husker fans need a wake up call... GBR

Now it's your turn to bash me.. I don't share your opinions (most of you) so you view me as uninformed...

• Fire 1

The guy was deadly all day, but when the pressure was on he choked. Have you considered the guy couldn't handle the pressure?

It was also rainy and wet. Maybe that reared its' head only late in the game for them.

Kind of getting tired of #3....Some people act like Bo is a raving lunatic and needs hours and hours of therapy. The guy is passionate and is in a high stress position. I really think we see the worst of Bo on the sideline...and frankly that's actually a good thing. We don't have stories of him beating up players or abusing people outside of the stadium. He runs a pretty clean program.

Ameer, as usual, was the man. I really hope he comes back. If not, I just don't see how this offense can move the ball. Nobody else is proven. Sure, there may be potential, but potential isn't a sure thing. Ameer is! He turns losses into gains and turns 4 yard gains into 8 yard gains. He has definitely been a delight to watch. I'll be bummed if he leaves.

Obviously it's impossible to gauge what will happen next year. I can't help but feel like this team will be much like Bo's teams before Martinez. We'll need to rely on D because the O won't be up to par. I hope I'm wrong.

We lose a lot of the O line as well. Sterup will take over a tackle spot and do well. There are some pretty good linemen with fair experience to replace the rest but they'll need to get their chemistry going quickly. Adam Taylor will be in the backfield a lot next year if Ameer leaves. I'm hoping Newby can get over the freshman jitters. I don't see Cross as an every down back. TA will be better hopefully and Johnny Stanton may surprise us and be the man. In college you can't keep a kid forever. If you could Eric Crouch would still be the QB.

I'm not going to read anything whatsoever into a game played a month removed from any other game with many players who won't be here next year, and with many guys who figure to play prominent roles next year still being redshirted or riding the bench.

Also not going to read anything into Bo's demeanor or anything like that. His team beat an SEC team in a bowl game and he was happy. Do we really need to analyze that?

For me, it's back to loosely following recruiting and personnel changes and mostly ignoring the pointless sunshine pumping and media-fabricated stories coming out of spring and fall camps. We won't know what the future holds for 2014 until September.

I'm not going to read anything whatsoever into a game played a month removed from any other game with many players who won't be here next year, and with many guys who figure to play prominent roles next year still being redshirted or riding the bench.

Also not going to read anything into Bo's demeanor or anything like that. His team beat an SEC team in a bowl game and he was happy. Do we really need to analyze that?

For me, it's back to loosely following recruiting and personnel changes and mostly ignoring the pointless sunshine pumping and media-fabricated stories coming out of spring and fall camps. We won't know what the future holds for 2014 until September.

very good points. at least we will know rather quickly where this team stands early in the season.

We lose a lot of the O line as well. Sterup will take over a tackle spot and do well. There are some pretty good linemen with fair experience to replace the rest but they'll need to get their chemistry going quickly.

Yes and no. We have quite a bit of experience returning on the interior - those three spots will only change if someone gets beat out. And Sterup got some decent reps. It's really only the other tackle spot that will be coming in cold.

I was happy with the defensive performance yesterday, especially against the running game. I had one question about our offensive play calling though. Can someone explain to me why TA didn't, at least once (unless I missed it), actually hand the ball off to the WR on the fake Jet Sweep plays? I understand that it's a decoy for the read option, but it seemed like it could have really worked towards the end of the game, because the Georgia defense wasn't paying any attention to the motion man. Just a thought.

Overall, great to get a Husker bowl win!

Interesting theory Accountabilty. Maybe he was given more duty. ( hehe I said duty). The point I would make is this. Whoever was in charge at the end, you know, when we were rushing four, playing patty cake, bending not breaking as we almost pissed the game away..............ya, that guy needs to f#*k himself right out the door.

Good point

I was happy with the defensive performance yesterday, especially against the running game. I had one question about our offensive play calling though. Can someone explain to me why TA didn't, at least once (unless I missed it), actually hand the ball off to the WR on the fake Jet Sweep plays? I understand that it's a decoy for the read option, but it seemed like it could have really worked towards the end of the game, because the Georgia defense wasn't paying any attention to the motion man. Just a thought.

Overall, great to get a Husker bowl win!

We ran several jet sweeps early in the game. If you go back and read the game thread, there were fans complaining about it.