2014 HuskerBoard Starting Lineup Discussion Thread

knapplc

That happens quite a lot, actually, and I've been fighting this issue since this started back in 2010.

This year I've started PMing people when it looked like they might be elected into two different spots during concurrent polls and having them choose which one they'd rather have before the polls close.

Short of doing each position one by one or implementing a rule where a person can't be nominated for both positions being voted on at any one time (as in, can ONLY be nominated for receiver OR tight end, but not both, because they're voted on at the same time), I don't see a good solution to that problem.

He's been nominated four times. The most votes he's gotten were in the LB vote.

Oddest thing about the 2014 Starting Lineup may be the fact that only one person has been nominated but not seconded, thus not appearing on the ballot, and that was jsneb83 for the Offensive Tackle thread. I try to remind people who's been nominated but not seconded, and that usually gets everyone seconded so they appear on the ballot, but that time it didn't work.

I've been waiting for this to happen. At some point someone or some people were going to just say "Hell with it" and start openly campaigning for spots on this thing. Others would play along, those campaigning would get nominated, and the whole thing would devolve into a mess.

It's up to you guys. Do you want to keep doing this, or has the time come to end this thing? We're not going to have the board taken over for a month by people begging to be on the team, and I'm not going to police everyone who feels like begging in their status.

You tell me. What should we do?

That's not a terrible idea, but I can't manually change avatars. I can remove them, but I can't force someone to put on another avatar.

That also doesn't resolve the issue of campaigning resulting in people nominating the campaigners.

I suppose I could just institute a rule that says if you campaign you're automatically excluded from the whole shebang, but who makes that decision? And that's a pretty harsh decision for something that's supposed to be fun.

What about this - The week before this thing starts we elect a panel of five people who vote on whether a person is campaigning or not. That will not include any Mod - members only. Their decision is final, and a one-vote majority is sufficient.

If someone is judged to be campaigning, they are out of the running for that entire section of the Starting Lineup vote, and by section I mean, if they're busted during voting for Offense, they can't be elected to an Offensive position, but they'd be eligible for Defense or Special Teams. If busted during Defense, they're out for defense but would be eligible for Special Teams. If busted during Special Teams voting... oops.

That's not a terrible idea, but I can't manually change avatars. I can remove them, but I can't force someone to put on another avatar.

That also doesn't resolve the issue of campaigning resulting in people nominating the campaigners.

I suppose I could just institute a rule that says if you campaign you're automatically excluded from the whole shebang, but who makes that decision? And that's a pretty harsh decision for something that's supposed to be fun.

What about this - The week before this thing starts we elect a panel of five people who vote on whether a person is campaigning or not. That will not include any Mod - members only. Their decision is final, and a one-vote majority is sufficient.

If someone is judged to be campaigning, they are out of the running for that entire section of the Starting Lineup vote, and by section I mean, if they're busted during voting for Offense, they can't be elected to an Offensive position, but they'd be eligible for Defense or Special Teams. If busted during Defense, they're out for defense but would be eligible for Special Teams. If busted during Special Teams voting... oops.

That could work, but some people have friends here and they would surely not vote against them.