OSU gets 2 good ones

I hope Accountability is right, and I wish I could share his optimism. But I can't.

The thing that stands out to me from his post above is:

Our issues our fixable issues.

The issues under Bo have always been fixable, but we've rarely seen improvement (turnovers especially). Now don't go looking up some specific stats to show particular points of improvement, I know there is an ebb and flow to most things and I don't mean to say that everything has always been exactly the same, but we've been saying the same thing for several years now.

We are hopeful for next year because the defense improved over the second half of the season, and we got to the bowl game and finally won a game against a higher ranked team? Waht happens if we open the season flat again and terrible on defense, if it costs us a couple games we shouldn't have lost but then they finally turn it on toward the end fo the year? We'll be looking at 2015 and saying: "The defense showed improvement, so I am hopeful;" "We're on the right track, no major changes are necessary;" "Let's give them one more year to pull it together;" etc...

I would personally like to see more staff changes and upgrades, but I'm sure not knowledgable enough to say that is the answer, I'm just a frustrated fan that knows that the best indicator of future behavior is past behavior, and we've been seeing and saying the same things for years now.

i get frustrated with beck and pap just as much as anyone else, and maybe more than some, but i do have faith in the system that's in place. we showed great improvement as the season went on, even with all the injuries we had. we had a lot of talent, but it was young talent. once they grasp the system, which i think we started to see, i think we will return to being at least a very good defensive team. i wouldn't be surprised next year if we have the best front 7 in the conference and one of the best period. i'm still not entirely sold on beck yet, but we haven't exactly got to see what he can do yet, and i choose to stay hopeful. we've got a lot of question marks going forward (secondary, qb, etc.) but i think there is a lot of promise, and i think the worst thing we can do is to start making massive changes.

i know that nobody was thrilled with our first couple of recruiting classes, but you have to remember what we were dealing with. clownahan had basically run the program into the ground. most of the top level talent comes from the south. living down here, i know what the perception of UNL is. it's REALLY difficult to get high profile recruits to give up warm weather and pretty co-eds (believe me, the one's here are better than ours) to go play football in a cornfield when the team in said cornfield HASN'T BEEN WINNING. i know we all were spoiled by dr. tom, and expected success to just happen; but for anywhere not in an ideal geographic location, bringing back success does take time. i honestly don't feel that we are really behind schedule. sure, this past season was a little disappointing, but how many players did we lose? 20? i'm sure we would have managed at least 1 more win with an even halfway healthy roster.

at the risk of being called a sunshine pumper... give it time guys, i really feel like we're close. that bowl win is going to help a lot. we haven't seen any direct benefit yet, because the powers that be in the media made sure to remind everyone that murray wasn't playing (no mention of martinez of course), but by next year all anyone will remember is who won and who lost. especially if the guy they played turns out to be good next year. who knows, signing day might even give us a couple of nice surprises.

i get frustrated with beck and pap just as much as anyone else, and maybe more than some, but i do have faith in the system that's in place. we showed great improvement as the season went on, even with all the injuries we had. we had a lot of talent, but it was young talent. once they grasp the system, which i think we started to see, i think we will return to being at least a very good defensive team. i wouldn't be surprised next year if we have the best front 7 in the conference and one of the best period. i'm still not entirely sold on beck yet, but we haven't exactly got to see what he can do yet, and i choose to stay hopeful. we've got a lot of question marks going forward (secondary, qb, etc.) but i think there is a lot of promise, and i think the worst thing we can do is to start making massive changes.

i know that nobody was thrilled with our first couple of recruiting classes, but you have to remember what we were dealing with. clownahan had basically run the program into the ground. most of the top level talent comes from the south. living down here, i know what the perception of UNL is. it's REALLY difficult to get high profile recruits to give up warm weather and pretty co-eds (believe me, the one's here are better than ours) to go play football in a cornfield when the team in said cornfield HASN'T BEEN WINNING. i know we all were spoiled by dr. tom, and expected success to just happen; but for anywhere not in an ideal geographic location, bringing back success does take time. i honestly don't feel that we are really behind schedule. sure, this past season was a little disappointing, but how many players did we lose? 20? i'm sure we would have managed at least 1 more win with an even halfway healthy roster.

at the risk of being called a sunshine pumper... give it time guys, i really feel like we're close. that bowl win is going to help a lot. we haven't seen any direct benefit yet, because the powers that be in the media made sure to remind everyone that murray wasn't playing (no mention of martinez of course), but by next year all anyone will remember is who won and who lost. especially if the guy they played turns out to be good next year. who knows, signing day might even give us a couple of nice surprises.

Nice post, you are a sunshine pumper,:)and that's OK. I agree with what you are saying. Larry Johnson wasn't coming to Nebraska to coach football, so I don't know why anyone is so upset about that. Kaz is a quality d-line coach, I think you can see that is starting to show up in results on the field. If you didn't see improvement from the Wyoming game to the UGA game in the d-line than you aren't watching.

Lots of people here are saying that NU's problems are deeper than the staff. If I may interject my opinion, NU's problem and BP's problem in general is that they aren't quit yet doing all the little things well. This is what causes the fumbles and the up and down play. BP knows this and is working on it. He just hasn't hit on the right formula that works for him and his team.

I think it is a hard thing for BP because he is so internally driven and has had to work so hard for the things he got on the athletic field that it is a real learning process for him to get the excellence he demands out of himself from players. I think he is getting better at it but it is taking time.

Our problems don't lie in the staff. They're deeper than that.

Like maybe there is some sort of mediocrity wave generating device buried deep under the stadium and training facilities...perhaps connect to the HAARP project and operated by an international, anti-NU terrorist cell? I'm seeing the whole picture now that the foil has slipped off my head... :-)

I'll stand by my word. We'll see. I could be wrong. I seriously dont know. All I know is that we constantly ask for coaching changes this staff overhaul that. For 3 years now, Bo has constanlty been dealing with staff changes, departures and hirings. Any of you ever think it might be a good think for this group to stick together for multiple years and find their groove? Continuity is not evil. Instability is. Maybe this means that Bo is not the man. I dont know. All I do know is that this past season was pretty consequential. All the injuries. Losing the 4th years starting qb. The incredible youth on D. I'd like to give it another couple years to see how these guys develope. I just cant understand the meltdown over a frickin DB coach hire at Ohio St. "Oh but Mr. A, he's such good crooter". Who gives a damn. Urban Meyere needs help recruiting. Ok.

I think a lot of Husker fans believe continuity to be a good thing - it's often attributed to why TO had so much success here. And with all the things that popped up last year, like injuries and youth on defense, a lot of people are more apt to give these coaches some more time.

That said, specifically with this DB hire, Pelini needs to go out and get the absolute best coach he can. He also needs a good recruiter, and I think Pelini understands this. He understands that he simply needs to win. His margin of error is shrinking continuously.

I said this in another thread yesterday - he needs to have a conference title soon if he wants to continue to be the coach here, and I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation for the head coach of Nebraska. The nine wins are impressive, but only to an extent. We need serious hardware to match our success. One can only blame extenuating factors for so long. Fans and administration will accept injuries, youth, etc., but not if year after year there's always something holding a team back. After awhile, those "somethings" turn into excuses, and supports grow tired of them.

So many cry baby fans... TO would start out 10-0 playing no one really, lose the last two (oklahoma and the bowl game). Yet this man is a legend. I believe the fan base was just as upset with TO unable to win the last two as fans today upset with BP unable to get past the 4 loss shelf. Different time... TO played absolutely no one until the Oklahoma game. Had Nebraska ranked in the top 5 or 10.. lose the last two and had trouble staying in the top 20 (that's all it was back then top 20)

I'm not saying Bo is he guy to take us, or not take us to the promise land. I'm just sick and tired of reading the fair weather fans complaints on Huskerboard. I don't comment much, just like to read others opinions on topics. However, lately it seems all I read is cry baby Husker fans, not happy about something, and think they know the answers. Most of which probably aren't alums, just wal mart fans, like they have in Michigan. Being an alum has no bearing on fan status, just seems like the non alums are the ones with the most negative comments.. Just my opinion. GBR* Class of 72'.

So many cry baby fans... TO would start out 10-0 playing no one really, lose the last two (oklahoma and the bowl game). Yet this man is a legend. I believe the fan base was just as upset with TO unable to win the last two as fans today upset with BP unable to get past the 4 loss shelf. Different time... TO played absolutely no one until the Oklahoma game. Had Nebraska ranked in the top 5 or 10.. lose the last two and had trouble staying in the top 20 (that's all it was back then top 20)

I'm not saying Bo is he guy to take us, or not take us to the promise land. I'm just sick and tired of reading the fair weather fans complaints on Huskerboard. I don't comment much, just like to read others opinions on topics. However, lately it seems all I read is cry baby Husker fans, not happy about something, and think they know the answers. Most of which probably aren't alums, just wal mart fans, like they have in Michigan. Being an alum has no bearing on fan status, just seems like the non alums are the ones with the most negative comments.. Just my opinion. GBR* Class of 72'.

I'm going out on a limb here, and saying that regardless of belief on Bo's ability to lead the Husker to where we want them to be... A fair weather fan wouldn't care enough to join a message board.

So many cry baby fans... TO would start out 10-0 playing no one really, lose the last two (oklahoma and the bowl game). Yet this man is a legend. I believe the fan base was just as upset with TO unable to win the last two as fans today upset with BP unable to get past the 4 loss shelf. Different time... TO played absolutely no one until the Oklahoma game. Had Nebraska ranked in the top 5 or 10.. lose the last two and had trouble staying in the top 20 (that's all it was back then top 20).

Is this based on memory or did you actually look things up? Because this "didn't play anyone" thing has been debated and disproved on here many times. And "trouble staying in the top 20" is WAY off. I think you're framing 1-2 seasons of a long career as his entire time here.

This also helps Osborne: +9, +15, -5, +6, +1, E, +4, +14, +8, +14, +18, +3, +1, +13, +11, +3

...Osborne didn't coach the same brand of sloppy, get blown out a couple times a season because of it football Pelini does...

-11, +5, -1, -1, -12, -11 (until that changes...nothing else will change)

He had some great defenses statistically but he was also in charge of DB's in '11 when we were two last second hail mary's away from playing in the big one so yea. Not sure that I blame him for all of the losses in '12, probably the MSU one though.

I'm still not sold on Ash's ability until he proves it at OSU, however:

First hail mary, Abbrederis just had a bad jump on the ball. Ash has nothing to do with that play....plus Abbrederis wasn't a DB ;)

Second one wasn't a hail mary, and everyone (even Buckeye fans) thought Miller was going to run. No reason for the DBs to not try to stop a dynamic rusher like Miller, especially when you know he can run for a TD from that far back.

I wouldn't put either of those plays on Ash.

I get tired of the same things but your comments regarding Osborne are incredibly off base:

In 25 years, Osborne's teams started 10-0 six times.

In 25 years, Osborne's teams finished the year with two straight losses five times.

In 25 years, the lowest Osborne's teams were ever ranked to end the season was #17/#24 once. Next closest ranking was #15.

In those six 10-0 starts, Osborne's teams beat 14 ranked teams, an average of 2.3 ranked wins per season.

• Fire 1

So many cry baby fans... TO would start out 10-0 playing no one really, lose the last two (oklahoma and the bowl game). Yet this man is a legend. I believe the fan base was just as upset with TO unable to win the last two as fans today upset with BP unable to get past the 4 loss shelf. Different time... TO played absolutely no one until the Oklahoma game. Had Nebraska ranked in the top 5 or 10.. lose the last two and had trouble staying in the top 20 (that's all it was back then top 20).

Is this based on memory or did you actually look things up? Because this "didn't play anyone" thing has been debated and disproved on here many times. And "trouble staying in the top 20" is WAY off. I think you're framing 1-2 seasons of a long career as his entire time here.

This also helps Osborne: +9, +15, -5, +6, +1, E, +4, +14, +8, +14, +18, +3, +1, +13, +11, +3

...Osborne didn't coach the same brand of sloppy, get blown out a couple times a season because of it football Pelini does...

-11, +5, -1, -1, -12, -11 (until that changes...nothing else will change)

Turnover margin is the single thing that causes me to waver about this staff as a whole. When I think that changes REALLY need to be made to the assistant coaches I remember just how poor our turnover margin is and it makes me believe that we're actually pretty close to making that next step. If we could just get back to a modest +5 we might add two wins a season.

Auburn -12, FSU -7 They weren't too shabby.

But I agree fixing turnovers will help us get over the hump. I dont think our turnovers are a coaching issue. For example in the Mich st. game we had 3 freshmen with unforced turnovers (Newby, Armstrong, Westy). Youth was an issue in the TO margin. Next year we get that straightened out and our Def takes steps we should be a top 15 team again.

Auburn -12, FSU -7 They weren't too shabby.

But I agree fixing turnovers will help us get over the hump. I dont think our turnovers are a coaching issue. For example in the Mich st. game we had 3 freshmen with unforced turnovers (Newby, Armstrong, Westy). Youth was an issue in the TO margin. Next year we get that straightened out and our Def takes steps we should be a top 15 team again.

But, turnovers and signs of total lack of mental unpreparedness have been quite common throughout the entire Pelini era. The inconsistencies have been mind-boggling. 2012 was strange. We sh#t ourselves for 55 minutes, dig a hole, and then under the weight of high pressure situation, our guys find ways to make plays while going error free when they have to in order to pull out wins. This is the most frustrating part. Because we truely know our capabilities, but it's just not getting put on the field week to week, quarter to quarter, hell, even play to play.