College football players union

.....cost on traveling home to see the folks, Since they can not have a job maybe spending money for a sandwich, heath benefits during and after playing time is over

Do your research, all of these things already exist.

Not for all,each conference is different. For one only the big 10 guarantees a four year scholarship. Medical is not covered after playing

I didn't bold anything about a four year scholarship, but if you'd like me to unbold the post-career health benefits (because all employers offer that don't they?) okay. Point still stands for the rest.

I'm not for or against a union; association what ever it may end up being called but if it levels the playing field for NU I'm for it. My post was only things I thought the player students may ask for, I didn't know what they receive.

The only ones at fault for the lack of a level playing field for NU is NU. There is nothing stopping us from spending ultra bucks like the big boys and beyond in order to more than make up for whatever shortcomings and challenges we have.

Nebraska is behind the times in every single facet, everything! I don't just mean the University, I mean the state. Technologically, politically, entertainment, fashion, you name it. The rest of the country does it before we do. I see no chance in hell we start bucking that trend any time soon. Many Nebraskans almost seem proud of this fact. It baffles me.

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
The College Athletes Players Association (CAPA), which has been led by Northwestern's Kain Colter, won its case at the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) on Wednesday, which means that Northwestern football players are seen as employees rather than student-athletes, and that they can form a union.

<snip>

Northwestern also issued a statement from the school's Vice President for University Relations, Alan Cubbage, following Wednesday's decison.

"Northwestern University is disappointed by today's ruling by the regional director of the National Labor Relations Board finding that Northwestern University's football players who receive grant-in-aid scholarships are employees and directing that a secret ballot election be held to determine whether the football players should be represented by the College Athletes Players Association for purposes of collective bargaining with Northwestern University.

"While we respect the NLRB process and the regional director's opinion, we disagree with it. Northwestern believes strongly that our student-athletes are not employees, but students. Unionization and collective bargaining are not the appropriate methods to address the concerns raised by student-athletes.

"Northwestern plans to appeal today's decision to the full National Labor Relations Board in Washington, D.C. The University will continue to explore all of its legal options in regard to this issue."

Rivals.com@Rivals 4m

Northwestern players win its union battle against NU after @NLRB rules in their favor. What do you think about unions in college sports?

This is going to be a terrible thing for a lot of reasons. If they start paying players, then scholarships should go away for them. There could be many universities that get rid of certain sports because they just can't afford to pay all of the players too. I don't see this going well at all.

Rivals.com@Rivals 4m

Northwestern players win its union battle against NU after @NLRB rules in their favor. What do you think about unions in college sports?

This is going to be a terrible thing for a lot of reasons. If they start paying players, then scholarships should go away for them. There could be many universities that get rid of certain sports because they just can't afford to pay all of the players too. I don't see this going well at all.

I don't either.

i blame the schools and ncaa for this. there was no middle ground offered to the "student"-athletes. they were either student or employees. they went the only way they could.

i find it funny that so many fans begrudge the student athletes for fighting for their rights. the athletes are the ones making the schools incredible amounts of money, and just because fans enjoy a product produced by poorly compensated athletes, fans think they are entitled (?) to such a product because it is just they way they like it and the students get more than enough? i just do not understand the ire against the athletes. let us not kid ourselves, they are poorly compensated for what they produce. there are networks dedicated to and paid for by college football. pro athletes are making ridiculous amounts of money. but college kids should be happy with an education, food, and free clothing (which is just advertisement for the clothing makers and school)?

how do people only see this from one side? the side that the athletes are greedy? everyone else involved in college athletes are disgustingly greedy, and the athletes ask for their share and it is "the biggest bs ever"? give me a break.