DE Blake McClain [South Carolina - Signed LOI]

Mavric

So am I picking this up correctly?

-Kid visits NU and loves it

-SC offers parents $$$$ for their son's LOI

-Parents force kid to go to SC

-Parents and coach site distance as the factor

I don't know... Honestly, I think SC is one of the tighter ships in the SEC. I recall Spurrier during the football season talking about Clowney and saying "He's going to have to wait till he's in the NFL to get paid." That actually drew a pretty good amount of respect from me. If Clowney were being paid at SC, he maybe would have put a little effort into his play this year. Instead, he slacked off all year so he wouldn't get hurt before he got to the NFL.

My intuition tells me that distance REALLY WAS the factor, not $$$. But like everybody, I'm not always right. Either way, good luck to him.

Didn't USCe have a bunch of guys living in hotels a few years ago? Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Whitney Hotel in Columbia. Great callback.

Player's weren't paying anything to live in an upscale hotel room and have housekeepers keep the place clean.

That's not factual at all. The players were paying a discounted extended stay rate that was approved by that hotel's GM (who was NOT affiliated with USC) and offered to other people besides players, that the hotel provided receipts for. The players used their stipend to pay for the rooms, which all NCAA can do to pay for off campus housing.

All this pay for player stuff is pretty funny considering NU is also on probation right now for giving athletes impermissible benefits.

http://msn.foxsports...ion-ncaa-020112

LOL.....do you know what those benefits were? :rollin

• Fire 2

Didn't USCe have a bunch of guys living in hotels a few years ago? Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Player's weren't paying anything to live in an upscale hotel room and have housekeepers keep the place clean.

That's not factual at all. The players were paying a discounted extended stay rate that was approved by that hotel's GM (who was NOT affiliated with USC) and offered to other people besides players, that the hotel provided receipts for. The players used their stipend to pay for the rooms, which all NCAA can do to pay for off campus housing.

All this pay for player stuff is pretty funny considering NU is also on probation right now for giving athletes impermissible benefits, except these came directly from the school... you know, glass houses and all....

Whaa?? This guy is comparing NU to SEC cheating by bringing up the BOOK issue?!?!

noper.gif

• Fire 1

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2011/09/19/156033/ggf-ncaa-hands-usc-notice-of-allegations.html

So why would USC disassociate itself from him? Can't disassociate without association being there in the first place.........

South Carolina disassociated Jamie Blevins, general manager at the Whitney Hotel, from the university on Friday. Blevins, who could not be reached for comment Monday, is disassociated indefinitely, according to a letter the school sent Blevins.

All this pay for player stuff is pretty funny considering NU is also on probation right now for giving athletes impermissible benefits.

LOL.....do you know what those benefits were?

OMG.... we gave them money for SCHOOL BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!! Ya, no difference there.

And this:

The Whitney Hotel provided the athletes a daily rate of $14.95 for two-bedroom suites the NCAA determined should have cost more than $57. One football player received the reduced rate for 459 days, an extra benefit worth $19,280, according to the NCAA. Another received the rate for 410 days, an extra benefit worth $16,940.

There isn't a hotel out there that can give a room for $14.95/day and stay in business. Major extra benefits there.

LOL.....do you know what those benefits were? :rollin

AHAHAHAHAHA. You're right, we messed up and bought players their 'recommended' textbooks from the bookstore on top of what their classes 'required'. We do it dirty here at Nebraska.

All this pay for player stuff is pretty funny considering NU is also on probation right now for giving athletes impermissible benefits, except these came directly from the school... you know, glass houses and all....

At least when we cheat we are trying to help our graduation rate, hahahaha

Seriously man did you read the article or just the headline?

Damn us and our discount books!

I'm not going to multi quote everyone in this page, but really. You're on probation for a reason, saying, "well this one is worse, or that one is special," is all just splitting hairs. Rules were broken, punishments were levy. I can see this is just going to turn into a butt-hurt fiasco with unsubstantiated claims of "USC pays players." It couldn't be b/c USC's facilities are top notch, that USC has been a Top 10 program the past three seasons, that USC has the BCSAQ's longest home winning streak, that USC is closer to his home, that USC puts DL in the NFL, or that we have a great coaching staff...sure it couldn't be that....It must be something outlandish. lol

I'm not going to multi quote everyone in this page, but really. You're on probation for a reason, saying, "well this one is worse, or that one is special," is all just splitting hairs. Rules were broken, punishments were levy. I can see this is just going to turn into a butt-hurt fiasco with unsubstantiated claims of "USC pays players." It couldn't be b/c USC's facilities are top notch, that USC has been a Top 10 program the past three seasons, that USC has the BCSAQ's longest home winning streak, that USC is closer to his home, that USC puts DL in the NFL, or that we have a great coaching staff...sure it couldn't be that....It must be something outlandish. lol

Yep, damn it, if Nebraska could just get DL into the NFL. Our Bad.