DE Blake McClain [South Carolina - Signed LOI]

Mavric

I refuse to believe that this particular young man flipped to SC due to money. While it is possible the more rational explanation is that his parents made this decision for him. Now THAT I have problems with. Borders on helicopter parents. But I read nothing about him that leads me to think this is a Cam Newton type deal. The SEC cheats like crazy but I need solid proof that cheating was involved in this.

Let it go, guys. Huge loss for us but we will persevere.

I refuse to believe that this particular young man flipped to SC due to money. While it is possible the more rational explanation is that his parents made this decision for him. Now THAT I have problems with. Borders on helicopter parents. But I read nothing about him that leads me to think this is a Cam Newton type deal. The SEC cheats like crazy but I need solid proof that cheating was involved in this.

The flip isn't even being argued. We've let it go. What is being argues is the $ec cheating being put in the same breath as UNL textbook snafu.

It was not for Nebraska's lack of effort, the coach will tell you.

But defensive end Blake McClain did what some Husker fans feared would happen when they put their heads to pillow last night, choosing South Carolina on signing day.

A concern from McClain's parents about distance, it seems, was the main factor in why the recruit from Jacksonville, Fla., picked the Gamecocks just four days after committing to the Huskers on a visit to Lincoln.

"I can tell you Bake was 100 percent in," said McClain's high school coach Adam Geis. "It wasn't even a 95-5 thing after his visit (to Nebraska). He just loved it up there, loved the people, loved the coaches, loved everything about it. It was not with him, as much as it was his parents. He loved it there 100 percent. But there's just no way you can make Nebraska and Florida closer on the map."

LJS Article

Didn't USCe have a bunch of guys living in hotels a few years ago? Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Whitney Hotel in Columbia. Great callback.

Player's weren't paying anything to live in an upscale hotel room and have housekeepers keep the place clean.

That's not factual at all. The players were paying a discounted extended stay rate that was approved by that hotel's GM (who was NOT affiliated with USC) and offered to other people besides players, that the hotel provided receipts for. The players used their stipend to pay for the rooms, which all NCAA can do to pay for off campus housing.

All this pay for player stuff is pretty funny considering NU is also on probation right now for giving athletes impermissible benefits, except these came directly from the school... you know, glass houses and all....

http://msn.foxsports...ion-ncaa-020112

Damn us and our discount books!

I'm not going to multi quote everyone in this page, but really. You're on probation for a reason, saying, "well this one is worse, or that one is special," is all just splitting hairs.

Ha! You must be on that PSH good stuff if you really believe that

Jesus christ, cut the umbilical cord. If the kid wants to go out of state for college then let him.

Yep. I don't understand it. My parents were that way with me and all my siblings and I will be that way with my kids. It's their choice and I will respect it and will support them, even if I very well may not like it.

The flip isn't even being argued. We've let it go. What is being argues is the $ec cheating being put in the same breath as UNL textbook snafu.

Actually, a good portion of the thread was devoted to the possibility of SEC cheating and McClain, and that was the point of my comment. You get no argument from me RE: the insanity NCAA view of giving football student athletes study guides as compared to giving family members cash or jobs, but then that was not part of my post.

When I moved to London, my parents didn't like it, because of the distance, but they understood I had to do what was best for my life. When I moved to New Zealand, my parents didn't like it but they understood I had to do what was best for me and my family. They supported my decision both times. It doesn't make much sense why this kid did what he did, but every family is different, and if it's the case that he is that intimidated by his parents' wants and needs, then he probably isn't someone NU really needs, and I'm guessing he probably would've went home after a year here anyway. My guess is that he gives up football and takes online classes on his laptop from his parents' bedroom.